Brisket Jerky Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brisket Jerky Anyone?

Well folks, I totally ruined an expensive brisket... It was a charred brick.

I didn't do a thing different than I normally do. I seared it, placed it in a disposable aluminum pan, fat cap up for two hours, then flipped it, let it cook two more hours, then foiled it in some apple juice. The smoker temp was at 225 all day long. The intent was to get to an internal of 165-170 and remove it. The dang thing stalled for a very long time at 119. Finally, it started climbing and I ended up pulling it at 160 (at 1:30 AM...). I wrapped it in a towel and went to bed.

When I checked it in the morning, there was no juice at all, and it was burnt to a crisp. I tried to cut it and it just broke into crunchy, charred pieces. All I can think of is that my thermo took a crap during the cook. I am soooo pissed!

The saving grace was that I did ribs along with the brisket, and they turned out excellent. At least we had something to eat...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Poo _poo happens

Glad i'm not the only one who has those bad smokes.
    Just think ,Ya got your bad one for the year out of the way early.
    Time to check the thermo's
    Bob
    South Louisiana
    Old New Braunfuls offset
    Charcol ECB
    09 MES 40

Comment

Originally posted by eman View Post
      Glad i'm not the only one who has those bad smokes.
      Just think ,Ya got your bad one for the year out of the way early.
      Time to check the thermo's
      Yup, got them all lined up to check them this evening.

I hope yer right about getting the "bad one" for the year out of the way!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Sorry to hear you wound up with a burnt offering.

It more than likely is the thermometer's fault. I had one kind of go on me the other day. The dislpay still working but the clock had stopped. I replaced the battery and the temp probe shot up 50o. Glad I noticed or I would have had a burnt offering too.
        Dawn

New Braunfels Bandera "Grail"
        Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
        1 Maverick ET-73
        1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

Dang... That's it..I'm going to replace my thermo batteries now! Word to the wise eh?

Sorry Hawg... prolly been a LOOONG time since someone of your expertise had to trudge down THAT trail eh?
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

WOW.. That's a shame... I hate to hear a good piece of meat like that gets ruined.. It is kind odd that your thermo just gives up the ghost like that..
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

We appreciate your sacrifice, now winter can go away and spring can take its place!

I wish I could been there when ya unwrapped it

at least from a distance, LOL
              Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
                We appreciate your sacrifice, now winter can go away and spring can take its place!

I wish I could been there when ya unwrapped it

at least from a distance, LOL
                I'm all for spring getting here quickly! And ya' didn't really want to be there when I opened it... it was not a pretty site (on so many levels...)

Rich, I don't think I ever had that happen before... not to that level anyway! I am changing all the batteries in my thermos and calibrating each and every one of them 2nite!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                X