Lab Chorizo #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lab Chorizo #2

I spent some time readjusting my spice mix, and cutting it down to use with just 1 pound of pork. I didn’t take pics of the grind because I was only interested in the taste and appearance, but I did included pics of the chorizo after 1 day in the fridge (so that the flavors could meld), and a pan fry.

The mix:
    1 ¾ teaspoons of salt
    1 tablespoon + 1 ¾ teaspoons of white vinegar
    1 tablespoon Spanish smoked paprika
    1-teaspoon red chipotle powder
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    ¼ teaspoon fresh ground Mexican oregano
    ¼ teaspoon fresh ground peppercorns
    1 tablespoon + 1 ¾ teaspoons of water
    1 pound of pork
    Mix liquids and then add spices, slowing stirring until they dissolve. Finally add the mix into the ground pork and hand mix.

The flavors were more pronounced than the first batch. The color was darker out of the bag, but it lost a lot of the color when it hit the hot pan. Needs more paprika. The heat was good, it hits the back of the tongue and mouth slowly. It was too salty, so this recipe will take more tweaking than I thought, but it will be worth it in the future. The amount of liquid was not too wet and not too dry. Well, there’s always time for another tweak/batch. Thanks for your time amigos.
    Attached Files
    GOSM Big Block
    Weber 22 1/2 in. grill
    Brinkman all-in-one charcoal and gas
    Pepperhead Award posthumously-

Miss you Rich- How's the ABT's up there?

Phew... I'm glad no canines were harmed in this post ;{) NOW I get it... Lab as in tweaking LOL!

I have yet to try the chorizo style. Eating--Hmm maybe once... but it sure sounds like it's right up my alley! Thanks Rich!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Phew... I'm glad no canines were harmed in this post ;{) NOW I get it... Lab as in tweaking LOL!

I have yet to try the chorizo style. Eating--Hmm maybe once... but it sure sounds like it's right up my alley! Thanks Rich!
      Not too load... PETA may be listening.
      GOSM Big Block
      Weber 22 1/2 in. grill

Comment

Keep hammerin away at it buddy, yall get it where ya wan't it! Then it truly is "Yours".
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for your observations Rich.I love your style with the peppers my friend.Smoke and seeds.......

Comment

kewl beans Richso..........i LOVE a good chirozo, but in moderation. So this is perfect for us. THANKX

if I can find em

stems and seeds forever

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

salt wise I find that anything over 1 level tsp per pound of meat, is too salty for my tastes. I generally go around 3/4 level tsp per pound max.

But I have noticed that pretty much all ryteks recipes are stupendously heavy in the salt department.
              I generally cut the salt in half for starters and adjust downwards from there.

The mix seemed to fry pretty crumbly, you know how to fix that right ?
              (yeah you do lol)
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                salt wise I find that anything over 1 level tsp per pound of meat, is too salty for my tastes. I generally go around 3/4 level tsp per pound max.

But I have noticed that pretty much all ryteks recipes are stupendously heavy in the salt department.

(yeah you do lol)
                Good conclusion on the salt content. As I know/have bought chorizo, it is suppose to crumble. It's not like the Spanish version. Thanks for the input my friend. Smoke and seeds forever.
                GOSM Big Block
                Weber 22 1/2 in. grill

Comment

Mmmm....Do like that stuff....Louie likes it with her egg's....Me... Don't care...I really like it with anything. Think ya got a great recipe there! Ahhh.....how bout the guacamole!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Sounds like your getting closer to getting it "Dialed in" Rich, keep at it. The color on the first picture sure looks nice.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by richoso1 View Post
                      Not too load... PETA may be listening.
                      You know they are out here!!

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post

(yeah you do lol)

Its the nature CA, if you don't have chorizo across the pond you are missing out my friend...

Rich, that looks amazing... pass me some now!! I love the stuff with eggs, beans and tortillas!!
                      Hey Ry, we may have to whip this up for New Years day breakie!! What do ya think???

I owe ya pts Rich! Muy sambroso from the San Gabriel Valley bud!!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by richoso1 View Post
                        Good conclusion on the salt content. As I know/have bought chorizo, it is suppose to crumble. It's not like the Spanish version. Thanks for the input my friend. Smoke and seeds forever.
                        ok whats the dif between your and the spanish chorizo
                        Terry here
                        Still have Christene

Comment

Originally posted by morkdach View Post
                          ok whats the dif between your and the spanish chorizo
                          HUGE DIFF!!! IMH...

Spanish chorizo... (insert out of this world delicous) is more like an Italian sausage, where Mexican chorizo is crumbly, tends to be more greasy and is packed with paprika, and therefore red...

Spanish chorizo you can throw on a bbq... I prefer the Argentine chorizo.. then slap it into a big hunk of crusty bread... oh la la....

Mexican you scramble it up with eggs... and slap it into a tortilla... both equally yummy.. depending on your mood!

Here you go... just found this....

Argentinian chorizo is related to Spanish chorizo and like other sausages made in Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay, Peru or Bolivia it has its distinctive character. Spanish chorizo is made of pure pork and is air dried until ready for consumption, South American sausages are often mixed with beef and being a fresh sausage they are cooked on a grill. South American chorizos contain more hot spices, and are often seasoned with nutmeg, fennel and cloves. Another difference is that South American chorizos are made with wine or in the case of Mexican chorizo with vinegar which makes them much moistier.

here is the link for the rest... great site Keith! thanks!!

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage...rgentinian.htm
                          Last edited by Bbqgoddess; 12-12-2009, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                            HUGE DIFF!!! IMH...

Spanish chorizo... (insert out of this world delicous) is more like an Italian sausage, where Mexican chorizo is crumbly, tends to be more greasy and is packed with paprika, and therefore red...

Spanish chorizo you can throw on a bbq... I prefer the Argentine chorizo.. then slap it into a big hunk of crusty bread... oh la la....

Mexican you scramble it up with eggs... and slap it into a tortilla... both equally yummy.. depending on your mood!
                            Argentine chorizo.. do ya make your own.
                            we bought some spanish and put it in a cresant type bread and rolled it up buttered top sprinkeled with dried onions & mexi cheese shreads oh wow it was good . baked in oven at 350°
                            Terry here
                            Still have Christene

Comment

Originally posted by morkdach View Post
                              Argentine chorizo.. do ya make your own.
                              we bought some spanish and put it in a cresant type bread and rolled it up buttered top sprinkeled with dried onions & mexi cheese shreads oh wow it was good . baked in oven at 350°
                              Well I never have, I had never even thought about it... until I read this thread, and saw your post then went off searching... and by golly today will be the day!!
                              Rock Band and some Argentine chorizo baby!! YUM!!! So thanks for you are the inspiration....

Comment

Working...
                              X