Thermometer Testing Help????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermometer Testing Help????

My new Thermoworks digital does not seem to be working correctly, it reads 217* on boiling water & 81* sitting in a glass of ice water for 10 minutes now... WTF?..... Any other ways to test?

Frustrating!!!!
    sigpic

Not good. Altho the boiling point is close...provided you are about 1000 foot below sea level. Sigh...
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Damn thing!... Only used it 5-8 times.... I'm probably 100 feet or so above sea level, so I'm outta luck today. Thanks!
      sigpic

Comment

Not good. Those are the test I would have done. Did ya buy local or web purchase?

I have dumped a couple of Taylors after a couple of years because of bad reads but they were only $15-17 dollars at Target.

Good Luck

Comment

You at STP conditions...or darn close- should be reading 212°F boiling, and 32°F in stirred ice water.
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Web purchase, it is not the Thermapen, just the regular digital/probe.

...... It was about $25.... I'll try & contact them.
            sigpic

Comment

Is this the thermapen? Gunny just had a post about adjusting them. If that doesn't work, I'd contact them.
              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
              CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
              New Braunfels Bandera
              UniFlame Gas Grill
              Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                Web purchase, it is not the Thermapen, just the regular digital/probe.

...... It was about $25.... I'll try & contact them.
                Beat me to the question.
                S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                New Braunfels Bandera
                UniFlame Gas Grill
                Lil Chief

Comment

I hate thermometers! I've been lowered to sticking a candy thermometer down my exhaust stack. Nothing better than good ole mercury.

It even survived my summer sausage fire.
                  Keith

Comment

That's disappointing to hear. Was hoping that the Thermoworks version would prove to be more reliable. Although, they have the EXACT same buttons as the Taylors that I have. Probably made by the same (Chinese?) company.

Seems like the only viable solution is to get a couple that you like then just by 4 or 5 spare probes to keep on hand.

Dave
                    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                    -
                    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                      I hate thermometers! I've been lowered to sticking a candy thermometer down my exhaust stack. Nothing better than good ole mercury.

It even survived my summer sausage fire.
                      Yes Sir. Me too.

Tom

Comment

Contacted Thermoworks yesterday & a replacement probe is being shipped today, along with another replacement I purchased. Their customer service is fantastic & very helpful. It appears that the thermometer I have (& apparently several others in this price range) can really be affected by moisture exposure to the cable part of the probe. I had no idea this was such a big deal. The customer service gal sent me some great information on "Thermocouple" read out units, that are not supposed to be affected by the moisture on the cable. Anyways, just a quick thanks to Amber @ the customer service @ Thermoworks. (She also has a smoker at her house) She must be pretty cool eh?
                        sigpic

Comment

Great that Thermoworks took good care of you Fishawn. I'ts nice to see a company that cares...
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          KCBS CBJ

Comment

Sweet... members take note... a quality company!

Comment

Got the replacement warranty probe & an additional probe ($8) today. I must say, I was very pleased/impressed with their customer service.

My Taylor that broke a while back, I did not hear anything back from them ever....EVER!..... I just gave up on them....

The Thermoworks crew was great & the customer service gal I emailed with (Amber) was very knowledgeable & has a smoker @ home (Not her husband ) & directed me towards some products they make, that may be better suited for what I do.

If Santa does not come through, I'm gonna be Santa Scott & order a Thermapen for myself....THEN I'M TAKING IT IN FOR A CUSTOM PAINT JOB AND A HIGH PERFORMANCE PROBE AND BATTERY!

(You mean guys know who you are..... ).... PLUS, the custom ones read faster than the factory models...

Mo Paint / Mo Battery = Mo Better!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X