A general curing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A general curing question

Is it always nessesary to rinse after the curing process?
    I've got a couple of projects I want to start with Cracked Black Pepper. I'll be using #1.
    If so, do you just repply fresh CBP after the rinse?
    Thanks gang

JT
    JT

Not really required to rinse, but I do, and recommend it. Especially if using TQ, as the surface salt may be a bit much. Most of the pepper should stick... it's a RINSE, not a SCRUB. Sure, you can pat on more if ya like. Leave the meat a little moist on the surface for adhesion.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

i rinse well to help with the salt taste then rub with cbp and off to the smoker
      Terry here
      Still have Christene

Comment

If you're using PP#1 then you are doing a wet cure. Right?
        Then any additional ingredients are benefiting from osmosis to flavor the meat, rinsing the flavor away shouldn't be an issue. For adhesion, there ain't nothing better than a light coat of honey first.

Tom

Comment

Some soak their CB in water to remove some of the saltiness after curing. Do you, or should you, soak a "ham" after it is done curing? Sorry, maybe a stupid question?
          Last edited by Fishawn; 12-16-2009, 10:38 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Sorry I missed this until now

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
            If you're using PP#1 then you are doing a wet cure. Right?
            Then any additional ingredients are benefiting from osmosis to flavor the meat, rinsing the flavor away shouldn't be an issue. For adhesion, there ain't nothing better than a light coat of honey first.
            I'm doing both a wet and a dry cure with #1The wet is for the corned beef and dry on BBB and Belly bacon

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
            Some soak their CB in water to remove some of the saltiness after curubg. Do you, or should you, soak a "ham" after it is done curing? Sorry, maybe a stupid question?
            Not a stupid question, cause I have the same one. Haven't done a ham yet. I would think you would want to do a fry test same as with CB and adjust the saltiness to taste, through soaking.
            Any one?
            JT

Comment

I don't know how you could eliminate the desalination step unless your taste buds approved of the saltiness without it. Its true the meat will take on the flavor of the black pepper even if you rinse it off. And then you could always add more before smoking.
              Keith

Comment

Working...
              X