Venison Backstrap Ideas?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venison Backstrap Ideas?????

A buddy brought me a 1 lb. bag of Venison Backstrap. Anyone have any good, great, cool or unusual ideas on how to cook it? I've marinated them in Italian dressing & grilled 'em before & covered with seasoned flour & fried 'em before. Just looking for something different.

Open to all ideas, except next to the motor on my snowmobile.
    sigpic

I've done some experimenting, but a rare steak off a hot grill is hard to beat. I've been seasoning with Montreal steak for a nice char on the outside.
    Keith

Comment

Sounds like ya got a hard to beat Idea allready.backstrap is the only part of the deer we dont turn into sausage any more.and we dont even cut em into steaks any more we just grill about a foot long chunks to meadium rare and have at it. Bill
      2-22.5'' weber
      1-18'' weber
      1 smokey joe
      22.5'' wsm
      24'' smoke vault
      1-outhouse
      Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
      Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
        A buddy brought me a 1 lb. bag of Venison Backstrap. Anyone have any good, great, cool or unusual ideas on how to cook it? I've marinated them in Italian dressing & grilled 'em before & covered with seasoned flour & fried 'em before. Just looking for something different.

Open to all ideas, except next to the motor on my snowmobile.

Yes I do... I think you need to send it to your Ol' buddy T-H... I know you been eyeballing that damn grinder of yours... Dont do it!!!! Take deep breaths & Be calm.... You grind up that backstrap up and the VPD will be on you like stink on chit!!

So save yourself... Freeze, dry ice good foam cooler and Fedex in here...
        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Half inch thick medallions, onion, garlic and fried quickly in clarified butter- medium at most. remove to warm oven to hold heat. Deglaze pan after with a half cup beef broth and a half cup water. Reduce half over high heat- turn down to simmer- have some wide egg noodels going during. Once pan is half volume, a flour/butter roux to thicken to "spoon thickness" Lay out noodles, add medallions and sauce the top. And invite me.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I think Ken pretty much summed up everybody's best idea. Definitely mine.

Richtee, never tried what you suggested, I'll have to add that one.

What I generally do with the backstrap is take about 6" strips and smother in Montreal Steak, wrap in bacon to medium. Sort of like a Filet Mignon on steroids. But then again, I have done the butter and milk and flour bit and fried little pieces of them also.

Definitely, never, ever grind the back strap of venison for sausage. it is the best part of the animal. A friend of mine did that with his first deer because he didn't know any better or so he said. After I showed him how I do it, he has never ground up since. Of course if he did, I told him I would open a can on his back side.

Hey, weather guys saying Santa is getting a snowstorm in the heartland of the nation next week, So everybody be careful and make sure the deer your a shooting aren't flying pulling around a jolley little guy.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
              Hey, weather guys saying Santa is getting a snowstorm in the heartland of the nation next week, So everybody be careful and make sure the deer your a shooting aren't flying pulling around a jolley little guy.
              Amen! I need my load of coal this winter!
              Last edited by Richtee; 12-18-2009, 07:53 PM.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

This my favorite. About 1/2 inch thick medallions or chops, as I call them. Saute some sliced onions, sliced fresh mushrooms and minced garlic in a little butter. When the onions are almost done, pour about 1/2 to 1 cup beef broth and about 1/4 cup red wine in the pan. Kinda use your judgement here. I really don't measure anymore. Let that simmer down until it thickens.

While that's cooking, rub the chops down with montreal steak seasoning or Emeril's rustic rub. Grill them no more than 4 minutes per side on a hot grill. You want a little pink in there. Serve the mushrooms and onions over it.
                S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                New Braunfels Bandera
                UniFlame Gas Grill
                Lil Chief

Comment

Holy Sh!t!....... I could actually say that EVERY damn one of those sounds really good (Except Ken's ) You already got your Christmas present from me....

It sounds like the Montreal seasoning is pretty popular on Veni Backstrap, so now I need to decide if I wanna go for it, or just drink beer & eat Kolbasz (Modified) snacksticks with cheese & crackers... Hmmmm that's a tough call.

Win-Win either way though!

Thanks All for the Input... ...... I will not grind it for sausage....
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post

It sounds like the Montreal seasoning is pretty popular on Veni Backstrap, so now I need to decide if I wanna go for it, or just drink beer & eat Kolbasz (Modified) snacksticks with cheese & crackers... Hmmmm that's a tough call.
                    Hmmmmm........beer & Kolbasz.....sounds good to me as long as we put the wood stove around us. Cold, foggy, freezing drizzle and snow flurries here today. Anyhow, I think I feel a snack coming on. Me and the grandson did a mess of MOINK yesterday.
                    sigpic

Comment

here's a left field idea for you.
                      i've chopped strap down like stew meat w/ onion,garlic & a dash of vinegar in a montreal type marinade. throw it in a pressure cooker for about 15-20 mins then add a can of mushroom soup. serve over egg noodles w/ biscuits.
                      brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                      18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                      cast iron Hibachi
                      22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                      & rotisserator
                      12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                      stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                      Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                      http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                      my music recordings-
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Working...
                      X