Idiot proof lemon curd :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idiot proof lemon curd :-)

Not really a dessert, but you can put it in tarts, yoghurt, cheesecake ;-) etc
    So what the hell lol
    The cream is optional. I generally add it if I'm going to further cook the curd in large or small tarts.
    For pure lemon curd you don't need the cream. And in fact without the cream it's actually a fairly healthy spread (relatively speaking - relative to peanut butter and mayonaise anyway )

Lemon curd recipe

You will need

3 oz castor (fine white) sugar
    3 oz melted butter
    3 large eggs or 4 medium/small
    2 lemons - juice and zest (as fine as you can get it)
    4-5 floz double/heavy cream (OPTIONAL)
    1 large glass/pyrex bowl
    big balloon whisk (works best but any food stirring thing will do the job)
    A microwave oven

Method

Beat the eggs together in the bowl and whisk in the juice and zest of the lemons.

Add the sugar and whisk till dissolved.
    whisk in the butter.

Cook in the microwave on High for 30-40 seconds (based on 900watt microwave). Then whisk vigorously for a few seconds.
    Repeat, quick cook, whisk, quick blast cook, whisk etc. Until the mixture has thickened (doesn't matter if it boils) Takes about 10 mins with five minutes total microwave time, at the end of which it should be thick enough to hold it's shape for a short while. It'll thicken some more as it cools.

Pour into a couple of clean small glass jars and leave to cool.
    That's it :-)

If you want to bulk it up for adding to tarts, add 4-5 fl0z of heavy cream before the butter.

Makes the best lemon curd I've ever had :-)

Lemon Curd Tarts

For the pastry:

4 oz plain/general purpose flour
    4 0z self raising flour
    4 oz cold butter cut small
    pinch of salt
    approx 1/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg (optional)
    zest of 1 lemon (optional)
    Cold water.

Method:
    Sift all the flour together into a large mixing bowl.
    Add the salt and nutmeg and mix well.
    add the butter and rub between your fingers untill you it resembles fine bread crumbs, the smaller the crumbs the better the pastry.
    Add the lemon zest and mix in well.

Stirring with a fork add a little cold water. Keep stirring and adding small amounts of cold water till the dough begins to stick to gether into larger lumps. I've never measured, but I'd guesstimate maybe 1/4 - 1/3 cup cold water.
    Once it starts lumping mix and knead with your hands, work it until you have a smooth dough - if it feels sticky add a little flour and work it. repeat till the dough is smooth and not sticky (and next time use less water ;-)

Leave the pastry to rest for about 30 mins.

divide in half and roll out on a floured surface. It will puff up quite a lot when cooked so roll it pretty thin - around 2-3 32ths of an inch or 2-3 mm.
    Cut rounds and fit into cupcake tins.
    Fill the cases about 2/3 full with the lemon curd mix.
    Bake centre oven 375-400 for approx 35 minutes. Until the curd just starts to go brown.
    Either eat hot or leave to cool and eat.

Additional:
    In case you were wondering about the thing I was using for the lemon zest. Here's a close up of the actual 'holes'

It gives the finest zest and grated nutmeg, parmesan I've ever come across.
    Made by a company called cuisipro from it's accutec kitchen rasp range of microplane graters. Cheaper than Microplane, but at least as good.
    I'd recommend the set that has large grater, small grater and this ultra-fine grater.
    Oh and they're made in the usa - so you should be able to get them pretty cheap ;-)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 01-02-2010, 12:20 PM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Wow, it sounds so easy.
    I would be afraid I would screw it up in the microwave... then it would look like lemon scrambled eggs.. Could you do creme brulee like that too I wonder??

Thanks for the recipe Alex!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Thanks for the recipe.....

Comment

It sounds like a good spread even. I have used squeezed lemon juice added to milk to form curds, pour into a cheese cloth and just hang to drain. But your recipe sound purty durn good too.

Comment

Hmmm lemon Hollandaise? God..I know NOTHING about this stuff. Thanks CA. I DO know I love a lemon tart!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I would be afraid I would screw it up in the microwave...
            That's the beauty of a microwave if you think it's cooking too much - take it out and stir it. You could do it every 30 seconds if you like, might take a little longer. As long as you stir it well and often - you should not get scarmbled eggs.
            There's enough liquid to stop it going really solid.

It sounds like a good spread even. I have used squeezed lemon juice added to milk to form curds, pour into a cheese cloth and just hang to drain. But your recipe sound purty durn good too.
            Yes it is a spread.
            Great on toast, even better on a spoon
            And a lot easier than messing about with cheese cloths.

I've made orange curd too. Just make sure you use small oranges. I did it with large oranges and I think I ended up using 5 eggs !
            Or zest of 2 large ornages and juice of 1 smll orange and 1 lemon. That'd be pretty good too.

Hmmm lemon Hollandaise?
            Never thought of it like that - made hollandaise the other day. adding hot butter to a manic blender was quite an experience. Not sure whether I got more hollandaise on the scallops and smoked salmon (another post I got to get done lol) or all over the kitchen.
            Might consider doing it slowtime in the microwave next time :-) Leave the sugar out and use just the one lemon, add some finely chopped parsley and you'd have a really smooth lemony butter sauce.
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Major update on recipe

Added pictures, changed a couple of things and added some new stuff - so bump :-)
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Very nice Alex. I'm a bit challenged when it comes to the desert department. You nailed those!
                Keith

Comment

Working...
                X