Burnt Ends??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnt Ends??

I'm going to do a brisket on the UDS on Thursday/Friday and this time around I would like to try some burnt ends.

I think I have the basics . . . after resting, separate the point from the flat, cube up the point, add a little more rub, back on the smoker in a foil pan, toss occasionally adding rub (and sauce if desired) until . . .??

How do you folks do them? Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Wellllll- till they be burnt
    As crispy as you like at the edges!

Yanno, I wonder if a grill might not be the way to go with these... higher heat, and it's already smoked...Hmm...
    Last edited by Richtee; 02-18-2009, 08:11 AM.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Yanno, I wonder if a grill might not be the way to go with these... higher heat, and it's already smoked...Hmm...

We will be anxiously awaiting the results of your "burnt ends" experiment.......

Comment

Heh, I could just open all the intakes on the UDS. Be interesting to see how high it would go. I know it will hit the mid 300s with ease. Set the charcoal basket on the middle shelf and it would really crank up.

Dave
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
          Heh, I could just open all the intakes on the UDS. Be interesting to see how high it would go. I know it will hit the mid 300s with ease. Set the charcoal basket on the middle shelf and it would really crank up.
          Sigh I gotta build me a drum. If you try that out let us know. I'd gotta think 300+ would crisp those puppies up in good time eh!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Sigh I gotta build me a drum. If you try that out let us know. I'd gotta think 300+ would crisp those puppies up in good time eh!
            They are very versatile. I put bolts for a rack about halfway up (got the idea from Bubba ) . . .

thinking that if I set the charcal basket on it . . .

and the grill on the normal bolts . . .

I could use it as a grill also.

But even with the basket at the bottom, it will hit 325° with ease. I did these chicken quarters with the basket on the bottom and the Kingsford Comp briquettes and the temp was in the 300s and I still had some "throttle" left so to speak.

Probably should have opened it up a little more as the skin could have been a little more crispy. But then I don't eat the skin much anymore -- trying to lose weight.

Dave
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            -

Comment

I think everyone has a way to do them. I am fairly new at doing them, maybe have done them 4-5 times is all.I find my best so far was to seperate the flat from the point before the rest, rest the flat. I tale the point and run that knife right through the middlesideways. There is a good layer of fat that runs laterally. Slice right along that. Unfold the point and get it to lay flat.
              I toss that back on the pit fat side down for another 30-45 minutes at 250-260. It renders out the fat nicely, keep basting /mopping the top of the meat.

Take the piece back off after the fat has been rendered a bit, and cut it into 1"x 1" squares or so, toss them in a foil pan, add your brisket sauce, toos and coat the pieces, place back on the pit for another 20-40 minutes uncovered. they will get tacky and darker. then stand back, folks will snatch em up quick. I like them better than the sliced flat, just not as pretty.

Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

If you try that out let us know.
                Well, it WOULD have worked if I had separated the point from the flat before the resting period.

The drum worked temp wise once I got rid of the ashes in the charcaol basket. I lit about 11:30 Thursday night. It hit 225° at right before midnight. Held smoking temps 225° - 250° (with one minor dip to 178°) for 16 hours. Then I cleared the ash form the basket and opened all 3 intakes and it got to 380° in probably 20 minutes. I took the Maverick probe out and just went by the therm on the side the rest of the time. I throttled it down a bit to try to keep it around 300° on the side therm which was probably 340ish center grate. I eventually had to open the valves back up but it held around 300ish until almast 7:00 pm. I checked for the last time at 7:30 and it was at 255°. Granted the drum was empty from 4:30 on but I thought the temp range and burn time was pretty darn impressive.

The drums are like the and have a great temp range.

Dave
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                -

Comment

great post Capt.

maybe Mom will come by........she does em great...........so does bubba

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Working...
                  X