Smoked Smitty's White Cheddar Cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Smitty's White Cheddar Cheese

Smoked up some more cheese today for some Christmas gifts. Tried a new burner out too. It's a 1000 watt. It was only about 20 degrees today and held a steady 80 degrees. Still used the brownie pan covered in foil, but used some hickory chips that were almost sawdust.

Smoked 4 lbs. sharp cheddar, 4 lbs. pepper jack and 2 lbs. white cheddar. On two of the white cheddar chunks, I coated them with the Smitty's before vac'ing. I'll save these for me. Should have a nice kick.

Now I have to hide them for a week, so I don't cut into 'em. Lol.
    Attached Files
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Nice !
    The spicy stuff should be great. I get a cheddar mixed with jalapenos that's really good.

I got a cheese smoking gig today too.
    I figure a couple biggish lumps of charcoal and a piece of oak on top. if it starts warming up I can crack the outlaw lid fairly wide - after all it's still going to be filled with smoke.
    Got a superb lump of cheddar and thought I'd try smoking some stilton as well. the big wheels are pretty cheap this time of year. Never seen smoked blue cheese - could be a reason, could just be it's too soft for most people to risk
    Guess I'll find out the traditional way (suck it and see )
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

That sould be really tasty.....need to smoke some cheese, we out!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Great idea Ray! I'll check back in a week...or more likely sooner ;{)
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
          Nice !
          The spicy stuff should be great. I get a cheddar mixed with jalapenos that's really good.

I got a cheese smoking gig today too.
          I figure a couple biggish lumps of charcoal and a piece of oak on top. if it starts warming up I can crack the outlaw lid fairly wide - after all it's still going to be filled with smoke.
          Got a superb lump of cheddar and thought I'd try smoking some stilton as well. the big wheels are pretty cheap this time of year. Never seen smoked blue cheese - could be a reason, could just be it's too soft for most people to risk
          Guess I'll find out the traditional way (suck it and see )
          CA, It's on sale this time of year too. That's how it got started. I buy the 1 lb. chunks and cut them in half. It's getting harder and harder to pass some out as gifts and keep any for myself.

Someone around here did some blue cheese or was it brie? You'll have to keep the temp down, but can be done. I find that 80 works well on this type of cheese. Lower and it took a long time to get that slight color change when you knew it took on some smoke. Good luck, I hear the stilton is good smoked.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Great idea Ray! I'll check back in a week...or more likely sooner ;{)
          Rich, it's going to be tough, but we'll find out Christmas eve. My hope was that the Smitty's would mingle with some of the moisture and permeate the outer edge. Checked on it this morning and that's exactly what it's doing. Not sure if I'll taste the smoke over the heat, but it should be really good. Lol. That stuff's got some kick.
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

GOSM Propane
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
            Rich, it's going to be tough, but we'll find out Christmas eve. My hope was that the Smitty's would mingle with some of the moisture and permeate the outer edge. Checked on it this morning and that's exactly what it's doing. Not sure if I'll taste the smoke over the heat, but it should be really good. Lol. That stuff's got some kick.
            Nice! And not only the moisture, but the fat/oils will help the hot stuff dissolve and penetrate too!
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Nice! And not only the moisture, but the fat/oils will help the hot stuff dissolve and penetrate too!
              Ok, your explaination is better. Thought maybe this would be a good way to spice up an otherwise plain cheese. Even if you didn't smoke it. I'll take pics of the results.
              S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
              New Braunfels Bandera
              UniFlame Gas Grill
              Lil Chief

Comment

I'll let you know on the stilton - it's due out of the smoker shortly.
                80 ?
                Nah cheese is still cold to the touch

I'll post it later.

I got some of the mexicana (softish chedar with jalapenos) too.
                Going to be a nice smoked cheese selection this year. And I've got enough to keep some too
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

That mexicana looks very tasty. Might have to keep an eye out for some of that. Thanks.

Yeah 80 is the highest I'll let it get. The closer you get to 100 it melts. Lol. Been there.
                  S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

That Mexicana looks really good CA never say it here.

Can't wait to see the final results of that cheese Ray
                    Chargriller Pro w. sfb
                    Ducane 4100 propane grill
                    Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Looks good Double R.... Good idea on coating them with Smitty's before the vac pack.
                      Last edited by Fishawn; 12-20-2009, 12:48 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                        I'll let you know on the stilton - it's due out of the smoker shortly.
                        80 ?
                        Nah cheese is still cold to the touch
                        Cool! (hehehehe)

Comment

Ray, that Smittys cheese is brilliant!!! I can't wait to here your review!!!
                          I am gonna have to give it a try...

Alex do tell about the stilton I bet it is toooo die for yummylicious!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Well, the Smitty's cheese was a big hit. Brought one of the blocks to my brother's on Christmas day. A few friends got together for some holiday drinking.

You can see how the Smitty's spread in the bag. It didn't really penetrate the cheese as I had hoped. It did stick to the surface very well. Perhaps longer in the fridge would help. The heat is the first thing that hits the tastebuds, but the cheese actually does a great job of evening it out. Or it could have been the beer. Hehe.

Either way, it turned out fantastic and the smoke wasn't drowned out by the heat. Definitely will do this again.
                            Attached Files
                            S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                            New Braunfels Bandera
                            UniFlame Gas Grill
                            Lil Chief

Comment

Ray- was the cheese still warm from smoking when you applied the Smitty's and sealed it?

Comment

Working...
                              X