Brining Bucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brining Bucket

Picked up a nice, food safe, container to use for a brine bucket at Cash & Carry on Sunday. Looked about the right size in the store. Got it home and I think it's a bit large for my fridge. I'd have to unload half the fridge to get it in there, plus I think it's bigger than necessary for, say, a 12 pound turkey.

It looks to be about 4.5 gallons. So my question is . . . how large a bucket do I need for a 12 pound turkey? Would a 3 gallon bucket be large enough?

Thanks.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Don't know Dave, but I solved my 5 gallon bucket delema by buying another fridge
    JT

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
      Picked up a nice, food safe, container to use for a brine bucket at Cash & Carry on Sunday. Looked about the right size in the store. Got it home and I think it's a bit large for my fridge. I'd have to unload half the fridge to get it in there, plus I think it's bigger than necessary for, say, a 12 pound turkey.

It looks to be about 4.5 gallons. So my question is . . . how large a bucket do I need for a 12 pound turkey? Would a 3 gallon bucket be large enough?

Thanks.

Dave
      If you have a cat and use litter, use a plastic tub that 40 lbs of litter came in . Its free with the litter. Its the time of year here in MI that I can leave stuff in the "brining bucket" and put it in the garage with the lid on.

Now, for your dilemma..... Can go get a small, used fridge. It can double up as a beer cooler..
      Last edited by Crewdawg52; 12-21-2009, 09:16 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
        Don't know Dave, but I solved my 5 gallon bucket delema by buying another fridge
        Ha! Problem solved! :{)

I'd think a 3 would fit a 12 pounder OK... you want a "deep" 3, not a "squat" 3 tho- if that makes sense.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Crewdawg52 View Post
          If you have a cat and use litter, use a plastic tub that 40 lbs of litter came in . Its free with the litter.
          But is it food-safe?
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            But is it food-safe?

I may have started to shed at times, but I still dont have an urge to go scratch in the cat box............................
            sigpic

Comment

If you have a cat and use litter, use a plastic tub that 40 lbs of litter came in . Its free with the litter.
              Have a cat . . . don't use THAT much litter. Cat is good about going outside 99.9% of the time.

Its the time of year here in MI that I can leave stuff in the "brining bucket" and put it in the garage with the lid on.
              Doesn't get cold enough for that here. At least not reliably.

Now, for your dilemma..... Can go get a small, used fridge. It can double up as a beer cooler..
              That's a great idea. We talked about it last summer when we had the pool up. Need to get a beer, er, um, I mean a "soda" fridge for the patio anyway.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              I'd think a 3 would fit a 12 pounder OK... you want a "deep" 3, not a "squat" 3 tho- if that makes sense.
              Makes perfect sense.

Thanks.

Dave
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              -

Comment

And I thought I was having problems... Trying to fit a 2'wx3'Lx18" tall wooden box into my cooler.
                sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

Traded in the 4.5 gallon bucked for a 3 gallon. Will fit perfectly in the fridge. It's about as wide as it is deep. Will work fine for chickens. I think it will hold a 12 poundish turkey.

I'll have to pick one up to see.

Dave
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                    Traded in the 4.5 gallon bucked for a 3 gallon. Will fit perfectly in the fridge. It's about as wide as it is deep. Will work fine for chickens. I think it will hold a 12 poundish turkey.

I'll have to pick one up to see.

Dave
                    Glad to see you found something that fit. I have never brined chicken. Hhhmmmm maybe I should try it.
                    ________
                    AVANDIA SETTLEMENTS
                    Last edited by Rich Parker; 05-03-2011, 12:10 PM.
                    WSM and UDS - iBQ'n BBQ Team co-founder TheBBQSuperstore.com

Comment

Any size container that allows you to fully cover the turkey with brine is fine.
                      "I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."
                      PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, Battle of the Buldge

Comment

Also....non reactive....
                        Sunset Eagle Aviation
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Hi DDave,

Another option you might consider is this one...I hate putting lots of brine and bird inside my fridge, so I usually brine in a cooler. If you pick up some of the oversized ziplock bags (Hefty brand - 2.5 gallon), they will fit a 12 lb bird nicely.

Here is a 12 lb bird I did around thanksgiving.

I just add the brine into the bag, zip it shut, and then fill the cooler with Ice. (Here partially filled with ice for the photo).

Into the garage it goes, and there is no worry of a leak in the fridge. Also, for larger birds, use the cooler as the container, and put the ice in baggies so it doesn't dilute the brine solution.

My $.02
                          Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 01-10-2010, 10:02 AM. Reason: Added photo of Hefty bags
                          BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                          Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                          I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

I think I'm all set.

Got this one from Cash & Carry which is a food service supply store.

It's made by Cambro

and has the food safe designation stamped on the bottom.

Now I just need something to put in it with the brine.

Dave
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            -

Comment

And made in the USA....
                              Sunset Eagle Aviation
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                              X