Sugar Free Pepper Jelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugar Free Pepper Jelly

Have you ever tryed to find a sugar free pepper jelly recipe online? Sugar added recipes are everywhere but I wanted to try some with no sweetner. I looked around for a while one day and couldn't find one, not even on a diabetic web site. So I decided to shoot from the hip and experiment with what I thought should work. And it did. The jelly came out jelled, not too hard and not to soft and the peppers are still in one piece in the jars after processing.

4 cups chopped peppers
    1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
    2 cups apple juice
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    1 1.75 oz. package no-sugar fruit pectin

That recipe makes 6 half pints. I used red, orange and yellow bell peppers, for color, and jalapenos. I just added bell peppers to the mix till it looked right to me. Boil, slowly ,all the ingreients but the pectin for 5 minutes to soften the peppers. Add the pectin bring to a rolling boil for 1 minute. Hot pack into jars and process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes.
    Rusty Recycled Relics

looks good ....i like mine with a little sweetner in it to offset some of the heat...im diabetic and i use splenda instead of sugar....turns out ok for me
    your looks good with the peppers in it....
    Mike
    Oklahoma City
    22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
    Weber 22.5 Performer
    GOSM 3405gw
    Boomer Sooner Drum
    Maverick ET-732
    Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
    A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

What on earth ?
      Now I've had clear jelly with chilli (just like any jelly but chilli flavoured - very good, thought that's what this thread was about).
      But why would you embed a bunch of chillis in set jelly ??

I mean given the hundred other ways of preserving them.
      What's the benefit ?
      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
        What on earth ?
        Now I've had clear jelly with chilli (just like any jelly but chilli flavoured - very good, thought that's what this thread was about).
        But why would you embed a bunch of chillis in set jelly ??

I mean given the hundred other ways of preserving them.
        What's the benefit ?
        It looks delicious to me. The peppers were cooked into the jelly. Its insane hot that way, coming from a guy that dont have a high tolerence for hot peppers. Try it CA or are ya chicken.
        Rusty Recycled Relics

Comment

i am kinda like CA, i get it but i dont get it... then again maybe i dont get it because i never had it. dammit another thing on my to do list...

it looks good, now im thinkin' it just might take a smoked beef sammie out of this world...
          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Interesting concept.. Does the jelly still have a sweet taste? I know the idea of using the No-sugar fruit pectin is to allow the natural sweetness and flavors to come out in the jelly... But really how sweet can jalapenos be?? Or is the apple & lemon jucie your sweetener?

I checked into the ingredients of the pectin I use and compared it to the No-sugar pectin..

Liquid Pectin has, Water, fruit pectin,lactic acid, citric acid, potassium citrate, polyglycerol ester and sodium benzoate. Contains soy.

And the No Sugar Pectin has Dextrose, pectin, locust bean gum, xanthan gum.
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Try it CA or are ya chicken.

Do you eat the jelly or the peppers ?
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                Interesting concept.. Does the jelly still have a sweet taste? I know the idea of using the No-sugar fruit pectin is to allow the natural sweetness and flavors to come out in the jelly... But really how sweet can jalapenos be?? Or is the apple & lemon jucie your sweetener?

I checked into the ingredients of the pectin I use and compared it to the No-sugar pectin..

Liquid Pectin has, Water, fruit pectin,lactic acid, citric acid, potassium citrate, polyglycerol ester and sodium benzoate. Contains soy.

And the No Sugar Pectin has Dextrose, pectin, locust bean gum, xanthan gum.

I was after the look and flavor of the peppers mainly. Also in an attempt to get to a healthyer weight we have been avoiding added sugar and fat, the sugar is far easyer to avoid for me. About a whole cup in just one 1/2 pint of jelly. In the last 6 months I have added a new notch to my belt. Not by cutting out the fat and sugar just by avoiding adding any and avoiding eating processed products high in them.

I used the dry no-sugar pectin which is mostly dextrose but sometimes we have to pick the lesser of two evils.

I cant say the apple juice sweetened it at all but it tastes great to me.
                Rusty Recycled Relics

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                  Do you eat the jelly or the peppers ?
                  Both
                  Rusty Recycled Relics

Comment

Working...
                  X