help smoking a roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help smoking a roast

So for a little background, about once a year I buy a cow from a rancher and have it butchered. Some of the roasts I get from him are just labeled "beef roast". Usually the major cuts like sirloin tip roast, or rump roast are labeled as such, but the one I took out for this weekend is just labeled a beef roast. So I have really no idea what exactly the cut is. Typically they have a bone in them and are fairly well marbled.

Usually I just throw them in the crock pot with taters and onions an spices and make a pot roast. But this one I want to smoke. Any suggestions on a good technique, rubs, injections, etc. would be appreciated.
    Last edited by PitRow; 02-21-2009, 03:27 PM.
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

Do you have a pic? Just guessing but could be a chuck. I'd smoke it like a brisket till fall apart tender.
    Keith

Comment

if it's thawed out enough to unwrap tonight I'll get you a pic.
      Mike
      Life In Pit Row

Comment

King's prolly right... assuming it's not a prime or something. But THAT would be labeled.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Well I got a couple pictures of it this morning before I threw it in the smoker. It's currently on an hour-long plateau at 151*-ish. Hopefully it'll break soon. I'll post some pictures and maybe some can identify the cut, as I suck at that kinda thing. All I know is it's cow.
          Mike
          Life In Pit Row

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Ok, here's the pics so far

The roast. First one I've had with a round bone. Usually it has sort of a T shaped bone.

Slathered in mustard and liberally rubbed

In the smoker about 3 hours. Just broke the plateau. Going to shoot for 200 and see if it'll pull nicely.

More pics when it's finished
              Mike
              Life In Pit Row

Comment

lookin good!
                Keith

Comment

well I got busy and didn't get around to finishing up this post.... but that's probably a good thing.

The roast didn't turn out so well. I definitely should have foiled it, but I figured I'd be able to keep it moist by keeping it liberally sprayed with my mixture of captain morgans and orange juice. It didn't happen.

I knew i was in trouble when it stalled again at 172* and wouldn't budge for over an hour. Took it out... yep... no moisture at all. Completely dried out. Got some really good burnt ends out of it, but most of the roast was inedible. Oh well... another smoking lesson learned. Next time I will foil it, because other than being dry it had some good potential.

I do have a pic of the finished product, but I just haven't had time to upload it yet. Maybe tonight.
                  Mike
                  Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                    well I got busy and didn't get around to finishing up this post.... but that's probably a good thing.

The roast didn't turn out so well. I definitely should have foiled it, but I figured I'd be able to keep it moist by keeping it liberally sprayed with my mixture of captain morgans and orange juice. It didn't happen.

I knew i was in trouble when it stalled again at 172* and wouldn't budge for over an hour. Took it out... yep... no moisture at all. Completely dried out. Got some really good burnt ends out of it, but most of the roast was inedible. Oh well... another smoking lesson learned. Next time I will foil it, because other than being dry it had some good potential.

I do have a pic of the finished product, but I just haven't had time to upload it yet. Maybe tonight.

Well not a total loss...
                    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Mike, I'm just guessing, but it looks kind of like a large round steak....from the hind quarter. They are usually sliced thinner and ran through a tenderizer.
                      They are hard to tender up at times.
                      Just a guess though.

Sorry to hear it didn't turn out how you wanted.
                      jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

It can be a little difficult grabbing a roast out of the freezer when they all look the same....hunk o meat in white freezer paper. Plus I've gotten really great cuts and really poor ones from the same animal. If in doubt, I'll usually marinate and inject them. Too bad ya couldn't make burnt ends out fo the whole thing...those are awesome!!
                        Gene

sigpic

The Farm...
                        http://gardenofeatn-rhf.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cowgirl View Post
                          Sorry to hear it didn't turn out how you wanted.
                          No sweat, mistakes are how you learn right? Thanks though!
                          Mike
                          Life In Pit Row

Comment

Working...
                          X