This is the First for Me..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is the First for Me..

like i said the first to smoke cheese ...
    i did 8oz of mild chedder & sharp chedder
    also did pepperjack and a chedder ranch cheeseball
    now i keep the temp down my gauge said 43 but is 20 degrees off so it was actually between 63 - 75 the entire smoke....did it with a block of cherry
    whites for about a hour or so....yellow for about 2 hrs or so...
    i do have a questions for the cheese pros.....i took this out of the smoker let them sit on the counter for a little bit , when i was vak paking them the outside smells really i mean really smokey, did i apply too much smoke or is that normal and will it even out in the waiting period....i guess we will see in about a week.....
    Attached Files
    Mike
    Oklahoma City
    22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
    Weber 22.5 Performer
    GOSM 3405gw
    Boomer Sooner Drum
    Maverick ET-732
    Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
    A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Yikes!.... I think it's ruined... Can you send me ALL the pieces & I will tell you what I think.. ..... NO EXPERT here, I have smoked cheese a few times, but never used Cherry.... In my experience I also did note it as being pretty strong smelling..... Vac-Pak & wait a week or so & they tasted Fantastic.... If you are aiming for Christmas Eve or Day, maybe pull them out & let them "breathe" a little before serving, which I think will mellow them a little bit.... I think you nailed it.... The waiting will mellow it out nicely..... Nice Work Mike
    sigpic

Comment

The first and last time I smoked cheese it was at 80 degrees for only an hour, and both were equally smoky but not too strong. I liked it just the way it was. I am doing about 6 pounds in the morning.

Comment

For a first time cheese smoke, looks like you did a good job.Don't worry about it being to smoky it will mellow out after being refrigerated. I did 2 pounds each of Sharp Cheddar,
        Mozzarella, and Gouda today. Smoked all of it with apple wood for about 2hours, turned out great.

Comment

Well from the pics it doesn't look overly done. You should get a slight color change.

I think you did fine. The last batch was in a little over 2 hours total. The white cheddar and pepper jack a little over an hour and the cheddar a little over 2. Seems to be plenty. You can always adjust it next time. Leaving them sit for about a week really makes all the difference. You'll see what I mean. Let us know what you think.
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

I haven't smoked any cheese for a while. You just gave me a craving for it though. I might have to smoke one of those cheeseballs too, my wife loves those things.
            KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

looks good.... and my "to smoke" list grows and grows...
              Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

I tend to smoke for around 2 hours.
                And yes the smoke flavour mellows.
                Clingfilm it for at least a day. The longer you leave it the more even the flavour becomes.
                This year I clindfilmed it for a day and then vacpacked it all. (and at some point I will post pics)

Most important thing is to keep the smoke light while smoking.
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                  looks good.... and my "to smoke" list grows and grows...
                  Ditto!
                  JT

Comment

Holy Christmas cheese smoke! Man Mike it looks good bud, but I am with Scott here. You may want to send it to us, so we can dispose of it properly
                    Happy crackers and cheese!
                    Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                    Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X