Bellies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bellies?

Well I have definitely caught the bacon bug. Started the search for bellies today, but can't find them anywhere. Tried the supplier I usually use for trim and pork fat. They did some checking than when they got back to me, told me that their supplier sends all of the "good" bellies to commercial bacon packers, and what they had left wasn't of very good quality. He said he just wouldn't feel right selling me them. Tried Sam's club, no dice. Guess I'll try some of the retail grocers on the off chance one might be able or willing to get me some. Also have a buddy checking at the base commisary meat counter also. I'll settle for buckboard and Canadian in the the meantime, but really would like some bellies. If any of you bacon makers have any other suggestions I'd love to hear it. Thanks.
    sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

i hear tell the packers do sell everythig but the "squeal"... good luck on your hunt for good bellies.
    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

On the off chance- checked the local "asian style" markets?
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        Mexican markets too.
        JT

Comment

buy the ones the butcher didn't want to sell you, sounds like you could do a good eeal on them and make pancetta from them :-)
          A lot more fat is good for that.
          And you can cut a few slices for frying too.

I used to get mine from costco - but they've stopped doing them as a slab and just do them as strips now - which is great for pancetta - but pretty much useless for streaky bacon.

Probably time I went to a decent butcher lol
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Salesman at a local grocery wholesale should be able to point you in the right direction, if not get them for you. You may need a business license or find a buddy with one.
            Last edited by Gunslinger; 12-23-2009, 08:13 AM. Reason: Because I'm an idiot.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
              Mexican markets too.
              ditto on both of these....i have seen them at both places
              Mike
              Oklahoma City
              22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
              Weber 22.5 Performer
              GOSM 3405gw
              Boomer Sooner Drum
              Maverick ET-732
              Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
              A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Where about do you live? Is it possible for someone to send you some?????
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the quick replies and suggestions. In central Montana, it's going to be easier to find the bellies than any kind of ethnic food market. Although I do recall an asian type place in town, I'm pretty sure they don't carry any fresh products. We are just too far off the beaten path and good shipping routes. I did contact another wholesaler today that I thought had closed up. They are still open, and they told me they can and do get them in, and order every Monday, and can get me some. No word on quality, so I will probably just jump in and see what I get.
                  sigpic

Comment

Finally got me a belly today. Got it cut up (slabs), and curing now. I'm just trying a simple honey, a maple, and a brown sugar for starters. Now vac packed and sitting in the fridge. One is wrapped in butcher paper and vac packed, I was working on the paper,after covering it with honey, I flipped it to do the other side, when I lifted it, the honey, salt and cure stayed on the paper, not the meat, so I just wrapped it all up, then vac packed it. Learned a lesson there. Not sure the vacuum packing is needed, but seems like a good idea to me. Now letting it sit for a week in the fridge.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mulepackin View Post
                      Finally got me a belly today. Got it cut up (slabs), and curing now. I'm just trying a simple honey, a maple, and a brown sugar for starters. Now vac packed and sitting in the fridge. One is wrapped in butcher paper and vac packed, I was working on the paper,after covering it with honey, I flipped it to do the other side, when I lifted it, the honey, salt and cure stayed on the paper, not the meat, so I just wrapped it all up, then vac packed it. Learned a lesson there. Not sure the vacuum packing is needed, but seems like a good idea to me. Now letting it sit for a week in the fridge.
                      Pretty decent looking belly. Skinned too I see. Some people leave the skin on. I don't. Nothing worse than grabbing a perfectly fried thick slice of bacon and looking at a friggin' nipple.

Tom

Comment

Nice muley cant wait to see the finish
                        2-22.5'' weber
                        1-18'' weber
                        1 smokey joe
                        22.5'' wsm
                        24'' smoke vault
                        1-outhouse
                        Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                        Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Only done it twice now, but yeah according to CA, no reason to Vac Pac. I do like the cleanliness tho, they tend to weep a bit and I'm thinkin the tightness of the vacpac might help distribute the cure. Not science here just opinion. And as far as seasoning goes don't be shy, it takes alot of anything to make an impression on the final product. I did a six pepper batch smothered and the final fry was very subtle in it's heat. Well rounded heat, but subtle.

JT
                          JT

Comment

I have experimented witn vac-pac curing... and I have found...unscientifically, mind you- it will hasten curing times by about 20-25%. A day-ish on a 7 day cure. Due, I am assuming, to a more intimate contact with the meat, and the vacuum effect drawing the cure in.
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                              Pretty decent looking belly. Skinned too I see. Some people leave the skin on. I don't. Nothing worse than grabbing a perfectly fried thick slice of bacon and looking at a friggin' nipple.
                              Where was the spew alert on that one?? LMAO!

I have experimented witn vac-pac curing... and I have found...unscientifically, mind you- it will hasten curing times by about 20-25%. A day-ish on a 7 day cure. Due, I am assuming, to a more intimate contact with the meat, and the vacuum effect drawing the cure in.
                              unscientifically... you no way!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Working...
                              X