What make something Food safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What make something Food safe?

I'm going to be smoking a turkey for New Years and need a brine bucket. What make something food safe? Would a new bucket from a hardware store make it food safe?

Not necc. Food safe means the plastics are a very tightly bound structure, and generally have no dyes in them. Therefore either white or translucent. "Clean" is not "food safe"

And as y'all know, brining should never be done in a reactive vessel, such as cast iron, aluminum, etc. Good stainless, glass or food grade plastics only!

Call a local resto and ask them for a bucket..chances are they'll give ya one :{)
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Green Horn View Post
      I'm going to be smoking a turkey for New Years and need a brine bucket. What make something food safe? Would a new bucket from a hardware store make it food safe?
      Don't let my wife cook it?
      Chargriller Pro w. sfb
      Ducane 4100 propane grill
      Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Originally posted by lynsey123 View Post
        OMG...

And you called me on a faux pax?
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Just remember not to let your wife look at this site.

Comment

I have often used a cooler. I can not imagine the plastic in a cooler not to be rated food safe.....
            --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
            www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by lynsey123 View Post
              My vote for the one liner of the day award!
              JT

Comment

use a cooler, they are NSF approved.
                Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Restaruants and bakeries have nice sized ones somewhere in the 2.5 to 3 gallon size, they also have the 5 gallon. usually pickle chips and iceings come in them.

Comment

i picked up a brine bag at bed bath and beyond, it was a huge double seal ziplock style bag designed to hold a 25 lb turkey. it held two 12 pounders and the brine just fine. i let it rest over nighted it in a cooler with ice. it sure made clean up a breeze.

a question for the pro's... fire house subs sells the empty 5 gl pickle buckets would they work?
                    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                      i picked up a brine bag at bed bath and beyond, it was a huge double seal ziplock style bag designed to hold a 25 lb turkey. it held two 12 pounders and the brine just fine. i let it rest over nighted it in a cooler with ice. it sure made clean up a breeze.

a question for the pro's... fire house subs sells the empty 5 gl pickle buckets would they work?
                      The pickle smell is hard to get out of glass, I can't imagine it'd be too easy to get off of plastic. Might be worth a try though.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                        The pickle smell is hard to get out of glass, I can't imagine it'd be too easy to get off of plastic. Might be worth a try though.
                        It's tough to get off of plastic too. I got a 5 gallon "pickle chip" bucket from the school food service department. I just used it around the back yard -- not for brining or anything. Smelled like pickles for quite awhile.

Dave
                        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                        -
                        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I got a huge bucket at Smart and final, I think its 12 quart? Its food safe, Do you have a restaurant supply by you? They will have something like it, I am sure.

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Green Horn View Post
                            Worse come to worse................ can use a plastic trash bag as a "liner" for any container.
                            sigpic

Comment

I get 5 gal buckets from the bakery dept. at the grocery store, food grade and free. as someone said earlier they are from cake frosting and come with a lid that snaps back on with a soft O ring type seal.

Comment

Working...
                              X