Garden Brussels in a Casserole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden Brussels in a Casserole

Tramped out to garden after 2 feet of snow last saturday.

Only grew about 8 plants this year

Usually just steam them and add butter/garlic slices,but found an old translated family german casserole...

Sautee some onion and bacon cubes.I ground a pound of chuck and added 2 eggs,nutmeg,parsley etc....

Just made layers with potato,meat and brussels

Last layer.Next time will finish with potato.I then added 2 cups beef broth and baked 475 for 1.5 hours or so...

It was tasty.Definetly gonna add some more spices to meat next time...

I love brussel sprouts! Thanks for sharing.
    ________
    3LATINASHOT
    Last edited by Rich Parker; 05-03-2011, 12:08 PM.
    WSM and UDS - iBQ'n BBQ Team co-founder TheBBQSuperstore.com

Comment

Nooo....Snow....Them sprouts are mighty fine! Even better since you grew em! Nice plate of goodness!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Great looking Brussel Casserole Alx.
        ---------------------------------------------------
        I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
        ---------------------------------------------------
        KCBS CBJ

Comment

mmm I love those things! I have a recipe somewhere with 'em halved, roasted with onion, garlic and chopped bacon...great stuff!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Looks & Sounds Great I thought I was the only one that liked B-S's
            sigpic

Comment

Looks like a great one pot meal too me. Thanks.

Comment

Burrrr.... ussel sprouts! Yummy Alex, that dish looks very warm, cozy and Delicious!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

nice recipe and pics.

oddly enough I was sent out in the ice tonight to pick sprouts for dinner :-)

how'd the sprouts cook in the casserole ? firm, soft,chewy ?
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

The ones on top i had to turn to keep from blackening/over cooking...The ones on bottom and middle were perfect with the beef broth as a liquid shield....Will definetly use a top layer of potato slices next time...

The kitchen had a wonderful meat and sorta sweet cabbbage smell...Nice change and possibly the fact i picked 15 minutes before cooking helped texture...I did x slice the bottoms...

Glad to hear you are growing them.....

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                    nice recipe and pics.

oddly enough I was sent out in the ice tonight to pick sprouts for dinner :-)

how'd the sprouts cook in the casserole ? firm, soft,chewy ?

Comment

Glad to hear you are growing them.....
                      got to have home grown fresh sprouts for christmas dinner :-)

Picked and eaten within 20 mins. Totally diifferent flavour.
                      We don't grow a lot of brassicas but we do like to have our own for christmas :-)
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Now that looks excellent! I had no idea you could grow sprouts in the snow. I'll get my son to try some of those this year. Thanks for making me hungry.
                        sigpic
                        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Great looking casserole Alex! I am a big fan of the Brussel sprout.And with the meat, that is a pot 'o gold!
                          Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                          Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Keith..after many years of experiments i start them from seed july 1st and transplant to garden august 1st.Still in the 90s here in august.I hit em with a fish/seaweed foliar extract hard at first for alot of initial growth and stop fertilizing by october....These are tasty nuggets by burpee-they make nice tight fruit.Other varities(long island improved) made lettuce....

Very important from my experience to get your size(stalks) early...I will have them until early february....my cold and snow doesnt hurt em at all...Not sure bout your type of wind/cold.....These seeds say 80 days to fruit...LMAO...last 10 years 4 months plus to nice brussels...

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                            Now that looks excellent! I had no idea you could grow sprouts in the snow. I'll get my son to try some of those this year. Thanks for making me hungry.

Comment

gotta love them brussel sprouts!!! those are one a my favorite veggies, another fresh from the garden meal. thks for sharing!!!
                              Charbroil SFB
                              GOSM
                              MES
                              Dutch Ovens and other CI
                              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X