finally... first buckboard bacon with pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally... first buckboard bacon with pics

finally decided to try out the buckboard bacon everyone is making. i bought some high mountain cure about a year ago so so decided to use that for a cure. on 12-12 i deboned 2 butts

sorta butterflied the butts and put about a third of the measured amount per instructions on the box on the inside and the rest got rubbed on the outside. put them in ziplocks along with the cure that didnt stick to the butts. one in just hi mountain...

the other added some gran garlic and onion along with some CBP

left in cure til last night, just didnt have time to remove and smoke earlier. rinsed and soaked for aprx 4 hours. cut some slices and did a couple pieces in fry pan and it wasnt too salty. was nice and pink all the way thru. decided to play around with some different flavors so i cut the butts in half leaving me with 4 pieces

like i said i sorta butterfied the butts, could have just smoked on racks but i had some netting from a friend so decided why not try put in netting and hang like a summer sausage and smoke... easier said than done, didnt have a roast tyer so had to improvise. found a big plastic lid

rolled the cover around the meat forming a funnel sorta and slipped the netting over it

and pushed the meat thru the funnel dealy and into the netting.

ended up with these...

being i had four cured hunks i decided to do some different things to each using

found the smoker...

so one was just cured with buckboard, the other half i poured maple syrup on it, homemade by an old family friend. let set over nite in frig in baggy in syrup and rinsed off this am. the other two chunks were withthe buckboard, gran onion and garlic, one half just added more CBP, the other CBP and some rib rub. just seeing if anything exciting comes outta this... left to right we have plain BB, GG/GO/CBP, maple syrup, GG/GO/CBP/rib rub

here it is at 120 IT, gonna take to 140. will post finished and sliced pix later...

thks for cking my pics!!!
    Charbroil SFB
    GOSM
    MES
    Dutch Ovens and other CI
    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

E!.... Great Thread & Good Luck!
    sigpic

Comment

looks like a winner to me...be ready for the addiction....love the netting idea... for that....very interested to see what comes out .....
      Mike
      Oklahoma City
      22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
      Weber 22.5 Performer
      GOSM 3405gw
      Boomer Sooner Drum
      Maverick ET-732
      Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
      A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Man...you on that gig big time! Nice...gonna try this next, ain't never done it before. That poor smoker surrouned by that evil white stuff... ya doing good!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

still waiting so till then ya got for the stuffing concept
          Terry here
          Still have Christene

Comment

Great post Erain to ya bud...
            ---------------------------------------------------
            I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
            ---------------------------------------------------
            KCBS CBJ

Comment

Oh CRAP! Sezged makes a rib rub?!? Damnit... Mad Hunky is DONE... sigh...

Sorry I digress... Great lookin BBB, sir! Love the "funnel" :{) Points for inventivness!
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Wholy sh----t that looks good I only hope mine turs out that good looking .cant wait til the 1st
                2-22.5'' weber
                1-18'' weber
                1 smokey joe
                22.5'' wsm
                24'' smoke vault
                1-outhouse
                Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                Smoked meathead #135

Comment

final pics

well here it is, well sorta, i thought i had a picture of it all sliced heaped on a pan but i musta forgot.... to much in a hurry to get a piece in the fry pan i think... but out of the smoker...

stripped the netting off...

here a picture of it thru a 2 gal ziplock. sorry about that, could swear i had a pic of it just sliced on a cookie sheet, man what a sight it was too!!!

guess too much of a hurry to get to this. man i been missing out!!! just fried up a slice of the plain BBB. was awesome and cant wait to see what the others are like.

Rich i woulda used yours but i had this and it was right there in front of me, sorta took the lazy way out. lol
                  Charbroil SFB
                  GOSM
                  MES
                  Dutch Ovens and other CI

sigpic

Comment

Man beautiful...

As far as the rub... I gotta try it! That's the brand of paprika I use in the rub. Best I found.
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Rich, it isnt too bad for a store bought. i like my homemade much better. one a these days i really gotta give yours a try. I think it was one a those days where just didnt feel like whipping up a batch a rub so went to store to see what they had. i read a post a while back cant remember where but remember you talking about the paprika. seen this was same brand so decided to give it a shot. personally like a bit more heat but some smittes can take care of that.
                      Charbroil SFB
                      GOSM
                      MES
                      Dutch Ovens and other CI

sigpic

Comment

Man does that look good. Never thought of the net. for sure. Looks great.

Tom

Comment

First buckboard bacon?? I don't think so!!!
                          E that looks beautiful! I love the funnel thingy!! great idea! I bet it tastes farken delicious too!!! What a great post!! thanks for sharing! you can keep that evil white stuff ;)

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

I am totally ripping off the netting idea! That looks so impressive I just finished my first BBB(gonna post later today I hope). And yours, makes mine look like amature hour
                            Nice job!

JT
                            JT

Comment

Wow Erain that is BBBB Beautiful Buck Board Bacon Nice job on the meat and the thread. I did see an ad for that rub last summer at a store not near me, have looked for it elsewhere but didn't find it.

Comment

Working...
                              X