Canned Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canned Elk

After processing a whole elk yesterday, I decided to can 7 more quarts. Made a bunch of elk burger, steaks and loin chunks. Saved enough to make a 25# batch of fresh hot Polish sausage (bulk). No pics other than the canned as my hands were to greasy to hang on to the camera. edit: The white pieces you see in the jar is whole garlic cloves.

sigpic
    Smoke Vault 24

Dang. I have never had much canned meat. I have had some, as a kid. No complaints I remember. Sure seems a good way to save freezer space and have a quality product.

Thinking on it "canned elk" sounds CRAZY... or we be talking a BIG can!

I'm gonna give it a run. I wanna do some B sprouts and cayannes anyway :{)
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Keith!..... I canned some Elk a few years back & it was some of the best meat I have ever eaten. I used Jalapenos as I recall, instead of Garlic. Man, that brings back some memories! Great work!
      sigpic

Comment

Looks good to me. Wish we had wild Elk in Kansas we could hunt. Best I can do is go up the road and buy it from an Elk ranch, a real pricey item it is. But, the taste is fantastic. Generall we just buy elk burger, but thats only when our deer venison is gone or running real low and frozen. They always have some fresh Elk venison in the case, along with the frozen stuff.

So if you run out of space to store that let me know. I'll keep it nice and safe at least until the darkness settles in.
        sigpic

Comment

Keith,
          I have never had canned meat... I would love to give it a go, you did an awesome job canning all that, I know it was a team effort! I sure like your team!!! ;)

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Sweet....I dont think we have elk in the zoos here..LOL

Comment

Good looking stuff there .you should share your secret to canning I'd like to try that sometime.
              2-22.5'' weber
              1-18'' weber
              1 smokey joe
              22.5'' wsm
              24'' smoke vault
              1-outhouse
              Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
              Smoked meathead #135

Comment

fascinating.
                Not something i'd ever have thought of before seeing you lot do it.

So do you can the tougher cuts or just any ?
                What sort of texture does the meat become ?
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thanks for all the replies folks. Bill, I'll get you the directions shortly.

CA, you can use any part of the animal. I trim all of the sinew, fat, blood clots and silverskin from the meat. You would think that pressure cooking for 1 1/2 hours the meat would be mushy. Not so. Think more like smaller chunks of pulled beef. It can be consumed cold or hot as it is fully cooked.
                  sigpic
                  Smoke Vault 24

Comment

For those who would like to try canning meat, here's what I do: Canning meat is quite simple as long as you have a pressure canner/cooker. You can use almost any kind of meat (elk, deer, antelope, etc.).

Sterilize the jars and lids. Cut meat into approximately 1 1/2"X1 1/2" cubes and pack into jars. Add one teaspoon canning salt per jar. I make up 4 cups of beef boullion ahead of time and add enough to each jar to come within 1 inch of the top. I gently run a butter knife down the inside of the jar to release trapped air. You can add jalapenos, garlic or whatever else sounds good in with the meat. Process quarts jars for 90 minutes at 15 pounds pressure. Let the cooker de-pressurize on it's own (usually about an hour). Remove jars and let cool. You'll hear them pop as they seal. It is important not to relieve the pressure by running cold water over the lid as it sucks a lot of the juice out of the jar and sometimes prevents the jar from sealing. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

CA: Smoked & canned fish is a treat also.
                      sigpic

Comment

Man does that sound good....Tank yah!!!!!

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                        For those who would like to try canning meat, here's what I do: Canning meat is quite simple as long as you have a pressure canner/cooker. You can use almost any kind of meat (elk, deer, antelope, etc.).

Sterilize the jars and lids. Cut meat into approximately 1 1/2"X1 1/2" cubes and pack into jars. Add one teaspoon canning salt per jar. I make up 4 cups of beef boullion ahead of time and add enough to each jar to come within 1 inch of the top. I gently run a butter knife down the inside of the jar to release trapped air. You can add jalapenos, garlic or whatever else sounds good in with the meat. Process quarts jars for 90 minutes at 15 pounds pressure. Let the cooker de-pressurize on it's own (usually about an hour). Remove jars and let cool. You'll hear them pop as they seal. It is important not to relieve the pressure by running cold water over the lid as it sucks a lot of the juice out of the jar and sometimes prevents the jar from sealing. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Working...
                        X