BBQ class/fundraiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBQ class/fundraiser

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just noticed this posted on bbq-brethren.com and thought some of you might be interested .Looks like I am going to be able to go, a Christmas present from the family!

Quote:
    I am proud to annouce that we have worked out the details for the first cancersuckschicago.com BBQ class. This will be a 4 meat competition style class. A portion of your class fee can be used as a tax deductible donation for cancer research. I will not profit anything from doing this class If there is any monies leftover, it will be donated back to my foundation. Which is how I do it for my BBQ team as well.

The class will be held in Westmont, Illinois (my hometown and a suburb West of Chicago) on February 19th and 20th. My guess is it will start around 5:00 pm on Friday and break around 10:00 pm or so on Friday night. We will start back up again on Saturday morning at 7:00 am... Of course, everyone will get a good nights sleep, as that is the way of the pellet cooker! (But not just limited to pellet cookers!) We will have dinner on Friday and also breakfast on Saturday provided. We will also be able to eat the food that we cook for the class. I plan on doing it exactly how I cook competitions. Plenty of time for questions and answers will be built in.

I am also proud to announce a guest instructor at the class will be Mike Wozniak, who cooks as Quau on the circuit. Mike will instruct us on chicken. Mike has won multiple KCBS Team of the Year for his chicken cooking. Mike was also the first team to reach a perfect season in 2006 for KCBS Team of the Year Overall, which he eventually lost to Lotta Bull on tie breakers. For those that do not know Mike, he is beyond his time in cooking. He is probably one of the most innovative cooks that our circuit has. He beats his own drum when it comes to comp cooking. I am pleased that he accepted my invite to be an instructor.

About the only detail that I am working out is securing a block of rooms at a local hotel. I have a few sticks in the fire and will have that info available shortly.

I have saved a few PM's from the prior post of who has interest. If you want a Registration Form, please send me a PM or email me at scottie@cancersuckschicago.com. (I can forward the form starting tomorrow, as I am working from home today). We will have limited seating available, but hopefully that doesn't come into play.

On a personal note. I want to thank Nate Montover (monty3777) for pushing me over the edge to finally do this. I've been cooking BBQ for a few years and am excited to give some of this knowledge back to comp cooks. Many of you know that I am always willing to assist new teams or any team for that matter out on the circuit. This will give me an opportunity for me to use some of this knowledge that I have gained and give it back to my true callng. Raising money for cancer research and to assist those that are fighting this horrible disease. BBQ is a hobby that I use to benefit my foundation.

For those that don't know my story. My wife, Corliss passed away from complications from cancer in 2003. She was only 40 years old. Our youngest daughter, Lexi was not quite 2 years old and my oldest, Zoe was 5 years old. This Febraury will be our 7th anniversary since Corliss was taken from us. I feel it is good mojo to do it in February.... As 7 is my lucky number... My BBQ team donates all profits back to the 501c(3) foundation that I started in Corliss' memory. After this year, our foundation will have donated over $150,000 dollars for cancer research and to assist those that are fighting cancer.

Much of that support has come directly from BBQr's like yourself. I've made many friends from across this country in our quest to reach all corners of our great states cooking BBQ. (so far our list is at 24 states that we have competed) Why do I do it? Hopefully some day, my daughters will look back and not tell me that they don't remember their mommy. But will instead tell me that they really do know who their mommy was and what she represented from what we have done and accomplished in competitive BBQ.

Thank you for your time.

Cancer Sucks!

Scottie Johnson

FE 100
    FEC 100
    Large BGE
    2 WSM's
    Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

I know Scottie and Mike will put on an excellent class! How much are they charging?

Carpe 'Que,
    Jim Rhino

Comment

Scottie is a great guy.....Jealous Dan.Have fun.........

Comment

he is charging $500, but $250 of it goes to his cancer foundation as a donation. I have met both of them guys and they are good people, Scott is ranked 26th in the nation, and Mike is ranked 10th. When I told my family that I wish I could go to this thing more than any other event this year, they all emptied their piggy banks, and arrainged for the hotel lodging through a friend of mine who has a ton of " hotel miles".
        I think What Scott Johnson has done for the Cancer society on behalf of his late wife is amazing. To be able to raise over $150,000 so far for the cancer society is great. Its folks like him that give Cancer patients like myself the strength and inspiration to help find cures for this disease.
        I plan on taking many, many notes. If anyone else is going, let me know, perhaps we could share a room(non smoking please).

I am so glad to be able to go!!
        Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Comment

Wow Dan, that's awesome! I wish I could afford to go, that would be a HUGE blast!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Wow! Have a great time, Dan!
            Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
            Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
            1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
            Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
            Pink Thermapen
            Purple Thermapen

Comment

I am glad to hear you will be able to make it to the class. My wife has decided to stay home so maybe we could share a room (as long as you aren't sawing logs in your sleep )

Let me know if you are interested so we can iron out the details.
              ________
              Last edited by Rich Parker; 05-03-2011, 12:08 PM.
              WSM and UDS - iBQ'n BBQ Team co-founder TheBBQSuperstore.com

Comment

OH I am quite the snoring machine, especially after a few cocktails. Crewdog is gonna ride down with me and share a hotel room with me, but I do appreciate your asking. He got ahold of my on weds and we decided to go together. Looking forward to meeting you though. I'm sure its gonna be alot of great info and tasty food, not to mention a great fund raiser for a good cause.
                Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Comment

You AND Crew are going???

Making a run at the GLBBQA team of the year this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
                    You AND Crew are going???

Making a run at the GLBBQA team of the year this year?
                    Wish I could make it... but these guys will take notes ;{)

Psst..Bubba I din't get a ballot email...
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
                      OH I am quite the snoring machine, especially after a few cocktails. Crewdog is gonna ride down with me and share a hotel room with me, but I do appreciate your asking. He got ahold of my on weds and we decided to go together. Looking forward to meeting you though. I'm sure its gonna be alot of great info and tasty food, not to mention a great fund raiser for a good cause.
                      No problem at all it will be great seeing Geoff again and meeting you! I usually zone out listening to my technology podcasts while I drive so Geoff would probably be better company.

This reminds me that I need to find a room down there or I will be sleeping in my truck.
                      ________
                      ROLL BLUNTS
                      Last edited by Rich Parker; 05-03-2011, 12:10 PM.
                      WSM and UDS - iBQ'n BBQ Team co-founder TheBBQSuperstore.com

Comment

Still waiting to hear back from Scott about the block of discounted hotels rooms!

Bubba, I doubt we'll be any threat to the GLBBQA team of the year, but we would like to step it up a knotch when we do get to compete,plus like I said, I want to personally thank Scottie for his dedication towards cancer research.

I know its the same day as the judging event too, but I just hafta make this one. I think our chix could benifit from it!
                        Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          Wish I could make it... but these guys will take notes ;{)

Psst..Bubba I din't get a ballot email...
                          Gotta be a member brother!

Bubba, I doubt we'll be any threat to the GLBBQA team of the year, but we would like to step it up a knotch when we do get to compete,plus like I said, I want to personally thank Scottie for his dedication towards cancer research.

I know its the same day as the judging event too, but I just hafta make this one. I think our chix could benifit from it!
                          This class will step up your game more than a notch, i guarantee!

Comment

Yeah... had a brain fart. Was thinking the GLBBQ BOD. My bad.
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I'm usually asleep, so I cant tell. But Mrs Crewdawg says (she claims this is the truth) I can wake the dead ( always after a cocktail or two) Is she telling the truth?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X