Ground Meat Bacon...........My Way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground Meat Bacon...........My Way.

When MossyMo posted his "Venison Bacon" thread I was more than intrigued. I don't like to buy seasoning kits if I don't have to, so I scoured the internet searching for a recipe. I think this may be the ONLY recipe not copied somewhere on the net. So I ordered my "kit" from Curley's. Fanfriggintastic is all I have to say about it.
    So now the quest to come up with a homemade version begins. What I have so far is good, but not great. Still need to mess with the sweetness and saltiness, but it's coming along. When I get it right, I'll post the whole thing here. But for now, here is what I have done.

I didn't take a lot of pics since I know it's not perfect yet.
    Here it is all mixed up and going into the fridge to rest for 24 hours. Meat is 60% super lean ground beef and 40% pork butt. Some of the seasoning is sugar, salt, cure, binder, etc.

Smoked it last night with my ground beef jerky and skinless snak stix.

Sliced and pan fried.

Good, but not as good as Curley's. I will keep plugging away though, and when it's just right, I'll let you all know.
    I still need to work on the right amount of salt, sugar, and the grind.

Tom

Look's like some good stuff to me!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

That is definately something I am gonna have to try. Looks good from here!
      KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Tom!.... Great to see something different & looks really good. Keep it up!
        sigpic

Comment

I can't get myself to buy seasoning kits either. This ground meat bacon thing has peaked my interest. I'll keep my eyes open for the final recipe.

Hmmmm...... Maybe some turkey bacon with this method.
          Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
            Good, but not as good as Curley's. I will keep plugging away though, and when it's just right, I'll let you all know.
            I still need to work on the right amount of salt, sugar, and the grind.
            I keep hearing about this "Curly's" Hmm..

Tom, if anyone here can nail it... it's you. Will be watching :{)
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Here's a few more pics of a little better quality.

Tom

Comment

Wow that looks good!

Comment

WOW...last batch looks incredible...thanks for sharing.On the to-do list.

Comment

Lookks great gunny,got to give ya points for trying to figure it out.I'vemade a few batches of curley's and its darn good.
                    2-22.5'' weber
                    1-18'' weber
                    1 smokey joe
                    22.5'' wsm
                    24'' smoke vault
                    1-outhouse
                    Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                    Smoked meathead #135

Comment

I hear ya Tom. I'm known as "the king of search" in my family. It was my task to find how this was made. I have not found a recipe yet.

I did find Mossy's post and that's how this smoking addiction began. I had hoped to try some experimenting too. Time has not allowed that, however. If you come up with something, I'm all ears.
                      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                      CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      UniFlame Gas Grill
                      Lil Chief

Comment

looks like another project for my to do list...
                        Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                          I can't get myself to buy seasoning kits either. This ground meat bacon thing has peaked my interest. I'll keep my eyes open for the final recipe.

this is how I am with rubs, (well except Sir Rich's) I have bought the snack stix kit just cuz I am a noob and didnt' want to kill someone not knowing that much about the process...

Originally posted by smokeguy View Post
                          Wow that looks good!
                          I agree.. wow Tom! gotta give this a try...

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

rich... heres a link with curleys products...
                            http://stores.curleyssausagekitchen.com/StoreFront.bok

tom, great looking stuff for sure. which cure from curleys did you use. i hve used and still have some brown sugar cure from curleys... did up some elk roasts and they were awesome. that stuff disappeared in a hurry so i can only imagine how long yours aint gonna last!!!for something new!!!
                            Charbroil SFB
                            GOSM
                            MES
                            Dutch Ovens and other CI
                            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post

X2 Please do all the hard work to work out a formulation, and we will use it too. Ive got the venison, pork fat,Smoker, just need the seasoning mix
                              Col. Big Guy

Comment

Working...
                              X