Product Review-All Around Jerky Maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product Review-All Around Jerky Maker

As promised, here is my review of the All Around Jerky Maker made by Elk Mountain Products. They also make the Dakota Sausage Stuffer which I believe is a water powered stuffer.

First off I ordered it from here. I usually buy this kind of stuff from Allied-Kenco or Butcher & Packer when I put in a big order. But Mid Western Research had the best price and shipped it pretty quick. I paid right at 30 bucks for it.

It comes in this package.

Took it out of the package and laid it all out. Man are there a lot of adapters here. I was kinda put off by the fact that I had to pay for everyone else's adapter, but who's to say I won't sell it on eBay someday.

Instructions are good, but the pictures are tiny and even a guy with super man vision like mine needs help seeing these.

Here's the stuffer we'll be working with. It's just a basic 5 lb vertical from Grizzly. It still has plastic gears, but it works flawlessly. I bought the steel gears from L.E.M. back when I bought this stuffer with the intention of putting them in when the plastic ones break, but it's looking like I'll be sitting on the steel ones forever.

Pretty straight forward on assembly. And of course, I didn't have to use an adapter for my stuffer. The tube fits right in the stuffing tube nut and a collar threads on from the inside.

For the first run, I made 2 lbs of jerky and 1.25 lbs of snack sticks. I ground up a round roast from our steer and for the jerky, added cure #1 and teriyaki sauce. For the snack sticks I added a quarter pound of ground pork butt, cure, and just used a Slim Jim clone recipe. I then let them cure in the fridge for 24 hours. The next day, I reground through a medium plate and loaded up the stuffer.

Start cranking and in no time the meat starts to come out. You have to pull the paper out as the meat will bunch up if you don't. It doesn't take long before you figure out how fast to pull the paper. The faster you pull it, the thinner the jerky. The slower you pull, the thicker the jerky.
    I bought some drying racks from BPS that are 18 inches long, so that's how long I made the strips of jerky. Once they are to length, you simply cut the paper and meat with a sharp pair of scissors and lay out to dry a bit.

When the stuffer bottomed out, I loaded the snack stick meat, cranked out what jerky meat I thought was left in the tube, then simply switched from the jerky extruder plate to the 3 hole snack stick plate and went right on cranking. The plate slides in and out for easy changing.

Once everything is is extruded, you let it set up and then it's easy to flip the strips out onto your drying racks. You can't see the jerky very well in this pic, but if you look hard, it's there. I love these drying racks.

Then it's off to the smoker. When done, cut to the length you want and pack.

The only problem with this device is the waste meat that's left in the tube. If you can think of some way to push the meat out, great. Bread doesn't work. So I cleaned it out and fried what was left. It was about a 1/8 of a pound.

I like this. I never had any desire to own a jerky gun of any sorts, but my teeth have deteriorated with the diabetes. And until it rains the $7000.00 that the Doc wants to take them out, whole muscle jerky is out. So this is a great alternative.
    I do recommend this product if you want to make ground meat jerky.

Tom

Just ordered it. Nice! I'll continue to make whole muscle for me and those who request it, but for general jerky AND stix for sale... this appears to be the ticket! Thanks Tom!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

great review Gunny , looks like tasty stuff too ... I like that you don't need casings for the snack sticks
      Last edited by T-bone Tim; 12-29-2009, 06:31 PM.
      sigpic
      homebuilt verticle ( aka the q-bottle )

Comment

Thanks Tom, looks like a pretty cool tool!
        sigpic

Comment

thanks for giving that little jerky/snack stick making machine a work out and posting it. i really enjoyed it.
          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

whole muscle jerky is out.
            Weell, you could do what i did. Leave some jerky in the dehydrator, forget it was there. and the use the dehydrator to warm up my workshop fora couple of days.
            After a week or so you start to wonder what the odd smell in the workshop is. You track it down to the dehydrator and discover a dozen or so pieces of jerky that is dried to very crispy.
            Tastes nice, bit crumbly but I suck it :-) Teeth not necessary :-)

Back to yur jerky machine. $30 right price.
            what's the box weigh and where do you buy the toilet paper rolls for it ?
            ie: If I begged someone to buy me one and post it over, could I easily refill the loo roll :-)
            I love the idea of caseless snackstix. Removes all the hassle of collagen versus natural, makes them cheaper to make too. And I do find myself peeling the collagen off before eating anyway - comes out of the vacpacking like soggy skin.
            What diameter are the holes for the snackstix ?
            And without the skin - did they dry out/cook any quicker ?

for the excellent review - but where's the signature black gloves ?
            Could be anyone in those pics lol
            Last edited by curious aardvark; 01-17-2010, 12:23 PM.
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
              Weell, you could do what i did. Leave some jerky in the dehydrator, forget it was there. and the use the dehydrator to warm up my workshop fora couple of days.
              After a week or so you start to wonder what the odd smell in the workshop is. You track it down to the dehydrator and discover a dozen or so pieces of jerky that is dried to very crispy.
              Tastes nice, bit crumbly but I suck it :-) Teeth not necessary :-)
              Thanks, but I think I'll pass.

what's the box weigh
              2 lbs tops.

and where do you buy the toilet paper rolls for it ?
              You could use wax paper or beter yet, parchment. And slice off the proper size roll.

ie: If I begged someone to buy me one and post it over, could I easily refill the loo roll :-)
              I'd send you one and you wouldn't even have to beg.

What diameter are the holes for the snackstix ?
              I'd say 19mm.

And without the skin - did they dry out/cook any quicker ?
              I didn't notice a difference.

for the excellent review - but where's the signature black gloves ?
              Could be anyone in those pics lol
              I wanted to see if you've been paying attention.

Tom

Comment

Got one of these from tom last week.

Defrosted 5lb of bacon banger mix that had only been ground once.
                After first abortive attempt with a small amount, I ran it through the grinder again. Second time round worked really well. So use double ground or fine ground only :-)

Got some in the smoker and some in the dehydrator (the dodgy bits).

And as for the waste from the pipe - I flattend it out on a silicon sheet and put it in the dehydrator :-)

I've left the sticks on the paper for the first hour or two in the smoker I'll tip them off when they've firmed up a bit.

Got lots of pics - but till the attachment app is working can't post them :-)

So far so good.
                Oh yeah and you could use any rolled greasproof paper, just so long as it's cut to the right width.

Didn't try the flat jerky grid this time just the snackstick one.

Right - got to go feed the smoker some more charcoal !

Later...
                The bits have come out of the dehydrator - gave it 4 1/2 hours at 155.
                Seriously tasty.

The good sticks are due out the smoker in about 30 - 60 mins.
                I'll go poke them in a bit. But last charcoal charge they were looking great !
                Last edited by curious aardvark; 01-31-2010, 12:04 PM.
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Alex, I'm looking forward to your pics.
                  I coarse ground mine, cured over night then medium ground it. I think medium is the perfect texture for this type of sausage or jerky.

Tom

Comment

they turned out great looking. A bit thinner than the cased snack stix.
                    but straighter and prettier.
                    Tasty too.

won't know what they're truly like till I've vacpacked them for a few days as that adds the final texturising.

What i did was leave the extrusions on the paper for the first hour, then just flipped them over and peeled the paper off. Much much easier than trying to mess around with uncooked mix.

Not being able to upload attachments is a right pain lol
                    got a few threads to post that are no good without the accompanying pics lol
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                    X