X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• all about garlic

http://whatscookingamerica.net/garlictips.htm

Garlic Sayings:

"Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian; wine and tarragon make it French. Sour cream makes it Russian; lemon and cinnamon make it Greek. Soy sauce makes it Chinese; garlic makes it good!" - Alice May Brock

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

Garlic (Allium sativum L.), a member of the onion family, has been cultivated for thousands of years and is widely used for both its culinary and medicinal attributes. As Americans have become more accustomed to garlic flavor and knowledgeable about the many health benefits of eating garlic, popularity of this crop has increased.

Most garlic in the U.S. is grown in the mild climate of northern California. Varieties adapted to mild climates and then grown in cold climates often do not perform well and usually develop a very "hot" flavor. Garlic is an adaptable species, however, and over thousands of years, varieties have been selected that grow well in cold climates, often with better garlic flavor than the varieties grown in mild climates.

Garlic is available year round, but is freshest between March and August. Garlic is available in forms other than fresh, such as powder, flakes, oil, and puree.

Did you know - the elephant garlic is not a true garlic and is actually much milder than white garlic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Selecting Garlic
    When selecting garlic, it should be big, plump and firm, tight silky skins with its paper-like covering intact, not spongy, soft, or shriveled. Why buy small ones that are a pain to peel? As with all ingredients for cooking, buy the best garlic you can afford.

Also remember that a single bulb of garlic usually contains between ten and twenty individual cloves of garlic. The individual cloves are covered with a fine pinkish/purple skin, and the head of cloves is then covered with white papery outer skin.

When preparing garlic for cooking, remove any green sprouts from the center of the garlic clove, as the sprouts add an unpleasant bitterness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Garlic Equivalents

1 head or bulb of garlic = (about) 10 to 15 cloves.

1 small garlic clove = 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic = 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder = 1/4 teaspoon garlic juice = 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

1 medium garlic clove = 1 teaspoon minced garlic = 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1 large garlic clove = 2 teaspoons minced garlic = 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 extra-large garlic clove = 1 tablespoon minced garlic

Storing Garlic
    Unbroken garlic bulbs will keep for up to 3 to 4 months. Individual cloves will keep from 5 to 10 days. Store in a cool, dark, and dry location (dampness is the enemy of garlic, so store away from stove and sink). If the cloves sprout, the garlic is still usable and the sprouts can be used for salads.

Cooking With Garlic
    Be careful not to overcook or brown garlic when sautéing in oil. If overcooked, it will become bitter and unpleasant tasting. Minced garlic usually cooks in less than 1 minute. Do not have the cooking oil too hot.

When sautéing onions and garlic in a recipe, add the onions first. When the onions are just about done, add the garlic.

Sautéing Garlic - Sautéing is the most common method used for cooking garlic. It will bring out the nutty but savory flavor of the garlic. Garlic can be sautéed in oil or butter but be careful is using butter because is will burn much faster than oil.

Select a pan or skillet with a heavy bottom that will provide for even heating.

Heat the oil or butter over medium heat and then add the garlic.

The garlic should be stirred often to prevent burning.

If cooking with other ingredients that take longer to cook, such as onions, start cooking the other ingredients and allow them to start to cook before adding the garlic.
    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

I got mine planted in mid November just before freeze up. I'll harvest about 500 bulbs in Late july.
    Col. Big Guy

Comment

Alot of folks make that mistake in recipes, overcooking the garlic. You can sautee a min or two, but once ya see ANY brown, shut it down or add your liquid.

Nice post! And the Elephant stuff is good. It's actually a leek, I believe.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Big Guy View Post
        I got mine planted in mid November just before freeze up. I'll harvest about 500 bulbs in Late july.
        Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        Alot of folks make that mistake in recipes, overcooking the garlic. You can sautee a min or two, but once ya see ANY brown, shut it down or add your liquid.

I have heard from a very reliable source. that the french had tried to kill the italians with garlic. they gave them copper pots and pans to cook the garlic in. seems that garlic reacts with the copper and and cause poision fumes and poision garlic I have tried to research it but nothing as yet. but, I need to try harder. I have no pure copper pans nor pots. and was glad to know this. seems most copper is tinned on the cooking area., But in mexico they have huge copper kettles and pots for matanzas. (pig killing and cookin)
        maybe some one else know are has heard of this.

Big guy fresh garlic is awesome. I need to get busy and do the same.
        sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
        nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
          I have heard from a very reliable source. that the french had tried to kill the italians with garlic. they gave them copper pots and pans to cook the garlic in. seems that garlic reacts with the copper and and cause poision fumes and poision garlic
          Hmmm the sulfer content is high in garlic, heating with copper... possibly forming copper sulfate? I dunno- never heard of this. Besides, you can't kill an Italian with garlic...silly Frenchies!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Wish I would of got around to getting mine in this last fall, just never did. And I thought I planted alot, usually about 100 LOL.

Comment

Was told it was too warm here to grow it. Doesn't feel all that warm right now.
              Keith

Comment

Sounds great.I do very similiar thing...

Last edited by ALX; 01-05-2010, 01:36 PM.

Comment

See Cali has a couple of things going for it... and yes garlic is one of them!

Yep!!! Love the elephant stuff cuz its very leekie... I luv a good leek! ;)

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
                  I have heard from a very reliable source. that the french had tried to kill the italians with garlic. they gave them copper pots and pans to cook the garlic in. seems that garlic reacts with the copper and and cause poision fumes and poision garlic I have tried to research it but nothing as yet. but, I need to try harder. I have no pure copper pans nor pots. and was glad to know this. seems most copper is tinned on the cooking area., But in mexico they have huge copper kettles and pots for matanzas. (pig killing and cookin)
                  maybe some one else know are has heard of this.

Big guy fresh garlic is awesome. I need to get busy and do the same.
                  Now the copper "caso" used in MX to make carnitas traditionally is illegal here in CA, so you may be onto something with the whole poison piggy... I dunno

Hmmm the sulfer content is high in garlic, heating with copper... possibly forming copper sulfate? I dunno- never heard of this. Besides, you can't kill an Italian with garlic...silly Frenchies!
                  But can you kill the frogs with garlic??? Im just saying...

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Garlic and honey were used as antibiotics in the civil war. I keep a jar of honey that has 6 peeled cloves of garlic in it. Sore throat, , ,take a spoonfull. Tastes great and really works.
                    Also Chicken soup spiked with a ton of garlic and cayenne; also known as, Jewish penicillin.
                    Every BBQ we do whole heads of garlic and sweet onion with extra virgin and/or butter and spices wrapped in foil. Always the first to disappear.

JT
                    JT

Comment

Working...
                    X