Fish Smoking Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish Smoking Questions

One of dad's cousins is a taxidermist. Most of the clients don't want the meat, and occasionally he gives some of it to my dad to smoke. Gave him 3 big fish. The Alaskan salmon is 28" long, the lake trout and brown trout are both 24" long. That's just the meat. Dad will brine it, all I have to do is smoke it.

Here's my problem. There is no skin on it. Didn't have any choice in that matter. I'm just trying to deal with it. If I cover each rack with non-stick foil it will keep it from sticking, but not sure I'll get even smoke intake with say 6 shelves at a time. If I trim some non-stick foil under each piece, that'll help, but will it still hamper smoke intake?

Dad usually does fish in his Big Chief and then finishes in the oven. Would like to do this in one shot. There'll be 12 pieces. Was hoping 6 shelves, two loads. May have to be 4 shelves and 3 loads. Haven't seen it yet, but he says pretty thick slabs.

Help with temps and any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by RowdyRay; 01-02-2010, 02:16 PM.
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

I have seen at several differnt stores foil pans that are preforated with holes for grilling and smoking delicate things such as fish. then lowes has wire mesh grates for this also. they work good for doing peppers also. then there are the cedar planks also sold in packages of 4 I have seen and relitivly cheap.
    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

I can get mesh ones at Walmart. Tried them, fish stick like glue even if sprayed with Pam. What a mess.

The non-stick foil by Reynolds worked really good on the grill. Thought it might in the smoker as well.
      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

GOSM Propane
      New Braunfels Bandera
      UniFlame Gas Grill
      Lil Chief

Comment

I used alum foil once but it had skin on. I did cut the foil edges to match the size of the salmon. I would poke maybe some small holes which should allow some oil to drain off. Now when I removed the foil the skin came off with it which was the reason for the foil.
        If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
        Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Parchment paper would prolly do it. Strips as wide as the fish. Should spatula off the grate, and fish roll off the paper.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Louie has used brown paper grocery bags....it worked.
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
              Prolly would. Be sure not to use ones with printing on them, or the glued seam portion. I'd still feel better with parchment, as it's guarenteed sanitary. But I'm too anal- just ask CA
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                Parchment paper would prolly do it. Strips as wide as the fish. Should spatula off the grate, and fish roll off the paper.
                Didn't think of that. Thanks, I'll pick some up and try it on the first load. Can always switch to foil if not working out.

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                Never thought of that. Really? Huh.

Any ideas on smoker temps? Didn't really get a good grasp of that from other posts. I got the drying out and forming a pellicle (SP?).

Thanks everyone. Any and all suggestions are helpful. Doing this next weekend, so studying up ahead of time. Some will go back to his cousin. Small price to pay, but I don't really want to screw it up.
                S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                New Braunfels Bandera
                UniFlame Gas Grill
                Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post

Any ideas on smoker temps? Didn't really get a good grasp of that from other posts. I got the drying out and forming a pellicle (SP?).
                  Usually below 225. Sometimes 150 ish... but I keep it in the 200 range, looking for the main thickness to flake at a slight prod. Use a "light" wood in my experience. I gotta find me some alder...

Comment

Thanks on the temp. Dad likes to use apple and has plenty. I got a hold of some alder and would like try that. We'll see. I may be overruled.

Any other suggestions folks, I'm all ears.
                    S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    UniFlame Gas Grill
                    Lil Chief

Comment

Double R...that Alder is Rock On with me & the Louinator!
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Now for smoking the fish try some corn cobs if you can get a hold of some. It produces real light smoke flavor.
                        If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
                        Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Originally posted by JustSmoke2 View Post
                          Now for smoking the fish try some corn cobs if you can get a hold of some. It produces real light smoke flavor.
                          Interesting. Just might have some. If dad hasn't taken the corn off of them yet. He'll pick them up outta the field while hunting. Brings them home and pulls the corn off to put in his feeders. Guess we should have saved the cobs too. Doh!
                          S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                          New Braunfels Bandera
                          UniFlame Gas Grill
                          Lil Chief

Comment

They still serve Fish & Chips in Black Print Only NewsPaper

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                            Prolly would. Be sure not to use ones with printing on them, or the glued seam portion. I'd still feel better with parchment, as it's guarenteed sanitary. But I'm too anal- just ask CA

Comment

I dry brine mine for 24 hours ( Brown Sugar, Sea salt, Granulated Garlic and Paprika) rinse the brine mixture off and pat dry, then let them form the pellicle.
                              As long as you let the fillets dry with a nice pelicle on each side of the fish ( you can either just air dry or use a fan to speed up the process a little) they won't stick to the grill grates and you will get a nice even smoke. Make sure you get a nice dry surface on each side of the fish. It should have a nice shine to it, and not sticky to the touch.
                              . All I ever use is Alder, nice and mellow not over powering. I smoke all my salmon at 225 degrees.

Comment

Working...
                              X