First buckboard bacon,success at -28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First buckboard bacon,success at -28

Have to start off by saying Ilove my WSMstarted out 12 days ago covering 4-4lb butts with himountains bbb cure after bagging and sitting in the fridge for 11 daysI took them out and soaked them in water for 4 hrsand put them back in the fridgetill this morn took them out and let warm up to room temp for a couple hrs.got up this morn to fridged -35 belowbut fired up the mighty wsm anyhow thankfully it had warmed up to -28Thanks to Riche's advice I just coverd the water panwith foil and brought her up to temp.180 for 1 hrno smoke opend up the vents and temp went right to 250 added hickory wood chunks and smoked away took about 2.5 hrs to bring em to just over 140 internal took em off and let cool till tonights supper scrambled eggs and bacon wow it was good on a scale of 1-10 I'd have to give it a 8.5 very delicious but a little more hamy than bacony but stiildamb good .thanks for checkin it out Bill
    Attached Files
    2-22.5'' weber
    1-18'' weber
    1 smokey joe
    22.5'' wsm
    24'' smoke vault
    1-outhouse
    Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
    Smoked meathead #135

Nice job, Bill. Sounds like the WSM performed well in this nasty weather. For trying something new and braving the cold, I gotta give ya........
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Comment

Them WSM's ain't to be trifled about! Nice work Bill! And really, by definition it IS ham... BBB is just a moniker. Bacon is cured belly...and PERHAPS the Canuckian loin CB. Butt/shoulder is the top of the picnic, and ham. Argue away ;{)
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Negative 28... Brother you did that! Just a fine piece of lovin smoke!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

No matter what name ya call it, it looks good and is next on my things to do!

Comment

Nice Looking Bacon...

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Them WSM's ain't to be trifled about! Nice work Bill! And really, by definition it IS ham... BBB is just a moniker. Bacon is cured belly...and PERHAPS the Canuckian loin CB. Butt/shoulder is the top of the picnic, and ham. Argue away ;{)
              Cant argue with that
              Originally posted by JimmyJoeBob View Post
              No matter what name ya call it, it looks good and is next on my things to do!
              And it should be I'll deffinatley be doing it again
              2-22.5'' weber
              1-18'' weber
              1 smokey joe
              22.5'' wsm
              24'' smoke vault
              1-outhouse
              Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
              Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Bill, glad you toughed out the cold to get that BBB done. Looks darn good too.
                And I'm giving you for doing it in the bone chillin' weather.

Tom

Comment

Bill fine job on the BBB Hi Mountain is good stuff fer sure ... I find if you slice it thin as in bacon thin it tastes more like bacon , thicker sliced and you're right... tastes more like ham ... it's all good

for sticken it out on a tough day
                  sigpic
                  homebuilt verticle ( aka the q-bottle )

Comment

Great looking job - have to admit I've never fried any of my shoulder ham yet.
                    Got some in the fridge from the new years day joint - might give it a go at some point for a sandwich :-)

Bacon is cured belly...and PERHAPS the Canuckian loin CB.
                    Sorry rich it's all ham or it's all bacon lol
                    In england we have a variety of bacon cuts. Streaky bacon, back bacon. loin bacon. middle bacon etc
                    All just cured pork from different parts of the pig. We also have ham and gammon - from different parts of the pig.
                    The difference is pretty much just down the the intended use I reckon as commercial cures tend to just be salt and cure agent.
                    The beauty of doing it yourself is you can give it some real flavour.

I personally add more salt to a 'bacon' cure and more seasonings/flavourings to a 'ham' cure. Traditionally bacon cures do tend to be very heavy on the salt and it's pretty much that which defines the fried bacon taste/smell.
                    But at the end of the day it's all ham/bacon/delicious :-)

So forget about the semantics and just enjoy the fruits of your labour :-)
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Very nice....I like my WSM too....

Comment

nice lookingh BBB bill!!! if you like me i bet you thinking shuld a done this long time ago!!! bill aint joshing ya on those temps ether... i stopped in bemedji for fuel on the way to the lake, and it was -36 deg on my truck thermo, driving past red lake it bottomed out at -38. was thinking maybe a little cold for ice fishing... not!!! nice pics and looks like it took on a nice cure!!!
                        Charbroil SFB
                        GOSM
                        MES
                        Dutch Ovens and other CI
                        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Bill, great work on the
                          BBB/HAM smoke. Looks Really Good! The -35 temps though??? That I could not take, we just drown here during our Late Fall thru early Spring, which aint any better than -35.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X