Would You Like Some Cheese?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would You Like Some Cheese?

I've often been asked if my smoker will do cold smokes. While that wasn't what I had in mind when I designed it, I've often thought it was a great side benefit of it. I've also wanted to smoke some cheese up for a while but never taken the time (though it isn't much). I didn't have any other big smokes planned for this weekend, so I asked the wife to pick up some cheeses at the store yesterday. Today I got em on. I've got a sharp cheddar, a white cheddar, a Gouda and a Swiss. Told my neighbor what I was doing and he brought over a big block of cheddar which I split and added. The smoker held nice low temps steady, the smoke was just right and things look good. I've got em wrapped and just waiting a bit now.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Sweet!! beautiful smoked cheese!!! YUMMY!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Excellent. Did a small hunk a Long Horn the other day when I was dryin my bacon and before I put serious heat to it. It just got me motivated. I gotta do up a big batch like that. Good job.

JT
      JT

Comment

smoked cheese is great - and the longer you leave it before eating the better it tastes.
        I find that straight from the smoker it can be a little harsh. But after a week or more it's mellowed and flavoured the whole chunk.

Judging by the depth of those grill marks - looks like you might have been on the verge of melting.
        Thing about cold smoking is you can actually open the smoker door/lid quite wide, as long as there's still smoke in the chamber - it'll do it's job :-)

How long did you give it ?
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Gouda is EXCELLENT smoked! Looks like a successful job to me. Now the hard part. Waiting.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Great looking cheese mulepackin...
            ---------------------------------------------------
            I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
            ---------------------------------------------------
            KCBS CBJ

Comment

Got me convinced to make a trip to the store! Sure does look good!
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Looks great to me. Waiting is the hardest part of the process. But worth it.
                S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                New Braunfels Bandera
                UniFlame Gas Grill
                Lil Chief

Comment

Looks good Mule. You got the right idea makin a big batch and all. That way you can eat some right away and sit on the rest for a while. It does get better with some time.
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Good lookin stuff ... haven't done any cheese yet , gonna have to put it on the to do list
                    sigpic
                    homebuilt verticle ( aka the q-bottle )

Comment

That look awesome!
                      The four seasons

salt
                      pepper
                      mustard
                      vinegar

Chargriller Pro w. sfb
                      Orion Cook
                      Big Easy
                      Eastman Turkey Fryer
                      2- refrigerator smoker in progress
                      1- RF trailer build in progress
                      UDS
                      Brinkman Gourmet
                      Great Outdoors Gas

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                        smoked cheese is great - and the longer you leave it before eating the better it tastes.
                        I find that straight from the smoker it can be a little harsh. But after a week or more it's mellowed and flavoured the whole chunk.

Judging by the depth of those grill marks - looks like you might have been on the verge of melting.
                        Thing about cold smoking is you can actually open the smoker door/lid quite wide, as long as there's still smoke in the chamber - it'll do it's job :-)

How long did you give it ?
                        Smoker held at 80 deg for 2 hours. I think the marks are more a factor of the lighting in the picture. You can barely feel them when you run a hand over it. There was just a hint of "cheese sweat", oily film on them.
                        sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by mulepackin View Post
                          Smoker held at 80 deg for 2 hours. I think the marks are more a factor of the lighting in the picture. You can barely feel them when you run a hand over it. There was just a hint of "cheese sweat", oily film on them.
                          Tell ya what...if you kept that Gouda solid- ya hit a home run! That's a toughie right there... it's pretty fat heavy.
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Gotta try the gouda...that sounds like some good stuff...
                            Craig
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X