Turkey "Ham" and Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey "Ham" and Beans

I had the frame and a fair amount of meat left from my cured and smoked Christmas turkey. We usually do turkey frame soup, but we all like ham and beans, and since the turkey had a nice hammy flavor, I decided to substitute it into my standard ham and beans recipe. Turned out very good, and the kids liked it too.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Sounds & Looks Great!.... Man you guys with your Awesome looking Soup's are making me hungry.
    sigpic

Comment

Whoa! man that looks so warm and cozy!!
      YUMMY!! recipe PLEASE!!! YUMMILICIOUS!! great comfort food!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

nice lookin soup...
        Mike
        Oklahoma City
        22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
        Weber 22.5 Performer
        GOSM 3405gw
        Boomer Sooner Drum
        Maverick ET-732
        Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
        A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
          Whoa! man that looks so warm and cozy!!
          YUMMY!! recipe PLEASE!!! YUMMILICIOUS!! great comfort food!
          Oh yeah, sorry! I just use the recipe from the Hursts Ham and Beens beans, and of course substituted the turkey for ham. I usually add smoked sausage, but I didn't have any on hand (better make some more of that too).

http://www.hurstbeans.com/
          Hurst’s HamBeens® Original 15 Bean Soup®

You Will Need:
          1 lb. of ham, ham hocks, or smoked sausage
          1 cup onion, chopped
          1 15 oz. can stewed or diced tomatoes
          1 tsp. chili powder
          Juice of 1 lemon
          1-2 cloves garlic, minced

Traditional Cooking Method:
          Soaking: Place beans in a large pot, cover with 2 quarts of water. Allow beans to soak overnight, or at least 8 hours.

After soaking, drain water, add 2 quarts of water and meat. Bring beans to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 2 ½ hours. After simmering, add onion, tomatoes, chili powder, lemon and garlic. Simmer for another 30 minutes. Add contents of ham packet 1 to 2 minutes before cooking is completed. Salt and pepper to taste.

Yield: approximately 3 quarts. Serves 14-16

Quickcook Method:
          Place rinsed beans in a pot with 3 quarts of water. Bring to a rapid boil. Reduce heat, cover and continue boiling 60-70 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. After 60 minutes, add ingredients. Simmer for 30-45 minutes. Add contents of flavor packet 1 to 2 minutes before cooking is completed. Salt and pepper to taste.

Note: Dry beans are a raw agricultural product. Although we carefully clean these beans, stones and debris may be present. Sort and rinse beans prior to cooking. Depending on water hardness, cooking time may need to be increased.

©2009 N.K. Hurst Company

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

That looks great, MP! It's zero degrees here this morning and I think I'm ready for some hot soup.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Nothing beats homemade soup on a cold night. Great use for leftovers too. Nice.
              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
              CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
              New Braunfels Bandera
              UniFlame Gas Grill
              Lil Chief

Comment

I'm gonna do one of those "Turkey hams" like the Poli page Gunslinger posted. Then try this recipe...The wife might even eat it!
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Yeah Man....saved that! On the top 10 to do list! Thanks!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                  X