Boiled Ham?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiled Ham?

Does anyone have any experience with boiled ham, as in boiling one whole?

My wife is from Mass. and she always talks about a boiled ham dinner with potatoes, carrots, onions and other assorted goodies in the pot but after 42 years of marriage she now only boils a New England style Corned Beef with all the trimmings. Still don't think I can handle the boiled ham.

Comment

Originally posted by donald811 View Post

Can't say that I have even heard of this... Is it done how JJB said??
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

they sell boiled ham in the deli's around here. I have always thought of it as a way of removing salt or nitrates and rehydrating after curing, like soaking a country ham.
        Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by donald811 View Post
          Curing it is easy, but you need a tumbler to make it taste like you buy it in the deli. I have a small cement mixer that has never had anything but food in it. I use it as a tumbling pan. Do the boiled version in it. Do a lot of oil field pancake batter in it as well!

If you have a way of tumbling it, I will help you through the process.
          Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Originally posted by bbally View Post
            Curing it is easy, but you need a tumbler to make it taste like you buy it in the deli. I have a small cement mixer that has never had anything but food in it. I use it as a tumbling pan. Do the boiled version in it. Do a lot of oil field pancake batter in it as well!

OK,I am really lost now... I thought we were making boiled ham.. Not cement or mortar??
            Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
              .. Not cement or mortar??
              It is not nice to talk about how some peoples food comes out

The unique taste and mouth feel of boiled ham is due to the tumbling tenderization.
              Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Boiled... err SIMMERED picnics have been a family tradition for ever here. Not rear hams..only the picnics. Delicious!
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Hmmmm.. Is it a Stainless Mixer??? Or Seasoned?? I think we need to ask Gunny if they have SS Cement Mixers...LOL
                  Ken

Comment

Hmmmm.. Is it a Stainless Mixer??? Or Seasoned?? I think we need to ask Gunny if they have SS Cement Mixers...LOL
                    Oil seasoned, weed burner used to heat it after the vegetable oil what sprayed onto it. Seasoned blue steel is legal, hence the amount of woks in places.
                    Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Probably not..any more than a Dutch oven is SS. Carbon steel can be kept clean too, yanno.
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Oil seasoned, weed burner used to heat it after the vegetable oil what sprayed onto it. Seasoned blue steel is legal, hence the amount of woks in places.
                        Chef, You are one BAD ASS that took the time to season a mixer... My Hats Off To You....
                        Ken

Comment

ok guys walk me thru this... I am guessing step one is purchasing a fresh ham... so what's next???
                          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Not a "fresh" ham... or maybe a nomenclature problem. to me a "fresh" or "green" ham is a hunk of uncured pork.

What is spoken of here is a cured ham...or "real" ham. Ham ain't ham until it's cured, IMHO.

Comment

Chef, You are one BAD ASS that took the time to season a mixer... My Hats Off To You....
                              You should see my food safe mop bucket. I use it to squeeze the water out of fish fillets for frying.
                              Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Working...
                              X