Chili... Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chili... Part 2

My chili from http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6283 was made with the intent of leftovers to be used in the manner described below.

Shepherds Pie! Not a traditional version but an excellent version none the less.
    After the chili sat for a day (Doesn't it always taste better the next day?) I covered the bottom of a baking dish with a thick layer of the chili.

To it I added mashed Sweet Potatoes to completely cover the chili. The Sweet potatoes (5) were just boiled till tender, then mashed with a 1/2 stick of butter and a good splash of butter milk. A sprinkling of shredded Cheddar was added as well.

I baked at 350 for @45 minutes till I noticed some bubbling from the chili and the cheese was all melted. Then I turned the heat to 400 for 10-15 minutes till that bubbling was rapid. I finished the cooking with the broiler to get that nice golden brown crunchy cheesy topping.

This was a very satisfying bowl of Shepherds Pie on a very cold Florida night. With it I served a Sam Adams Imperial Stout and dessert was a wonderful hot chocolate with a healthy splash of Irish Cream.

"I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."
    PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, Battle of the Buldge

Hey great idea! I would use regular potatos, as I can't get to like the sweets. Bet that was good tho. Nice "outta the boxer" there V! for inventivness!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Still tryin to wrap my mind around those flavors. Very cool. interesting combo.

JT
      JT

Comment

Trust me when I say it worked out incredibly! The scent the cinnamon added to the chili went very well with the sweet potatoes.

Comment

Now that looks freaking awesome and I beat it tasted great. . Send some my way...
          Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

you are the man. i can see where those tastes would go well together. i will be fileilg that away in my pea brain for the next oppurtunity to try it
            Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

Nice pie man!
              ________
              Sick From Zoloft
              Last edited by Rich Parker; 05-03-2011, 12:10 PM.
              WSM and UDS - iBQ'n BBQ Team co-founder TheBBQSuperstore.com

Comment

Originally posted by Vlap View Post
                Trust me when I say it worked out incredibly! The scent the cinnamon added to the chili went very well with the sweet potatoes.
                I like sweet potatoes, but still not convinced of the combo. Guess I'd have to taste it. Sure looks fantastic. And shephards pie is great for leftovers.

Cinnamon is great stuff, put a pinch or two in your spaghetti sauce once. It cuts the acidity of the tomatoes without adding sugar. The aroma is an added bonus.
                S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                New Braunfels Bandera
                UniFlame Gas Grill
                Lil Chief

Comment

Man...that is different....got me thinkin!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Thinking about making it I hope!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlap View Post
                      Thinking about making it I hope!
                      Yeah....cause me & Louie like sweet taters.....i know this is gonna be good!
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Looks good. Definately something I would try. And served with an Imperial Stout...Nice.
                        KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

what a great twist on shepherds pie and it looks fantastic
                          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Vlap!
                            Out of the box thinking is right! It looks fantastic! YUM!!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Great lookin chili/pie there V. Must still be chili down in them parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X