What Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Knife

Ok I have been considering upgrading to some finer cutlery.
    I have heard Henkel, Vitorinox, Wustof, and some more. I have heard forged not stamped but some of the above sworn by are stamped. I have heard full tang again some of the above lines. I have heard wood handle composite handle and even all metal handles. I am looking at a set of Henkle International forged synergy line withfull tang.

Give me some knowledge.
    Rick
    sigpic

My Facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...Q/131613189083

Originally posted by ShooterRick View Post
    I am looking at a set of Henkle International forged synergy line withfull tang.
    i got this 13 piece set for christmas

http://store.zwillingonline.com/16020000.html

very solid knives... i like the weight and balance, the compsite handle, they clean well and hold a good edge.

my better half hit a homerun...
    Last edited by crusty ol salt; 01-11-2010, 09:04 PM.
    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Chef Bob recommends Forschner cutlery from C.A.D. CUTLERY CO.
      These look like decent prices to me.

Tom

Comment

I have a mixed set of Wusthof & Henckels. Like them both, must say the Wusthof Santoku is my all around favorite. They are all about 6 years old & will get a pretty good edge with a little work on the steel. Probably should get them pro sharpened though, when they were new, it was scary good cutting

I have heard good things about the Forschner knives as well, as well as some other brands.
        sigpic

Comment

All the knives you mentioned are good. I would definitely recommend the full-tang for the larger knives for balance purposes. For a 5" boning knife, it's less of an issue. I personally prefer a wood or micarta handle because I think they clean up easier than a molded poly handle.

As far as buying a knife "set"....I guess you know which kinds of knives you use now...are you going to use the shears, or the steak knives, or the paring knives that are included in the set?? Or, would you be better off just buying the "most-used" knives. I use a 6" boning knife and a 10" chefs knife for 80% of my kitchen work. If I had to pick just a few knives, it would be a 12" Cimeter, a 10" Chefs knife, a 6" flexible boning knife, and a 5" stiff boning knife.

If there's a kitchen store somewhere close to you, go visit and get your paws on a variety of different knives....see which ones feel good in your hand...then you can do some online research to track down a good price!

L8r,
          Eric

Comment

I LOVE my Henkles... been collecting them one at a time from million dollar sonoma.. but I do LOVE them. My only other favorite knife was my pink one, which some body.. still researching finger prints.. tossed into the sink, since it was, key word there, was ceramic it cracked and then chipped... but that bad boy was my go to knife for everything..

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Just remember the most important thing about the knives you choose are the weight and balance in your hand.

I like the forschners and get them from CAD Cutlery as mentioned and linked above. But that is because I use my knives all day, I don't want to heft a forged knife 3000 cuts... I want a light stamped knife with an edge that does all the work.

I find Forschner fits the bill for me. I have thirty or so knives. Because catering requires many many different functions be performed over the years I have ended up with lots of specialty knives. Again I like stamped because if a knife weighs a pound and I need to lift it 4000 times your arm will eventually hurt.

Try knives out at a store. See which ones feel good in your hand, everything else is bullllsheet and marketing. They all freakin cut.
              Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Originally posted by bbally View Post
                Just remember the most important thing about the knives you choose are the weight and balance in your hand.

I like the forschners and get them from CAD Cutlery as mentioned and linked above. But that is because I use my knives all day, I don't want to heft a forged knife 3000 cuts... I want a light stamped knife with an edge that does all the work.

I find Forschner fits the bill for me. I have thirty or so knives. Because catering requires many many different functions be performed over the years I have ended up with lots of specialty knives. Again I like stamped because if a knife weighs a pound and I need to lift it 4000 times your arm will eventually hurt.

Try knives out at a store. See which ones feel good in your hand, everything else is bullllsheet and marketing. They all freakin cut.
                Thats the advice I would be takin'! im just saying!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

I supply my crew with Forschners, for the money they are the best for me. All the knives mentioned are great. But my home knives are Shun. Truely works of art and blister sharp. The long and short of it is to get the Knives that you want. It's a personal choice.
                  Rick,you are a shooter, you know that there are an infinite numberof firearms out there. choose your knives like you do your firearms. Price, performance and durability. And sometimes you just want that gun(Knife) cause it's purty.

Just my thoughts

JT
                  JT

Comment

There was one you could butcher a hog with, cut a chunk of rebar in half, then slice a tomato paper thin. Ginsu!!
                    sigpic
                    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                      There was one you could butcher a hog with, cut a chunk of rebar in half, then slice a tomato paper thin. Ginsu!!
                      You're killing me. Ginsu!!

I fell into a great deal on my Henkels, and was not about to pass it up. May not be the highest quality set, but they hold an edge well and the price was right. Would it have been my first choice? Probably not.

We have an assortment of the Forschners just specifically for the deer processing. Think 8 now. Definitely worth every penny. They've held up extremely well over time too. Couple of the wooden handled ones are at least 15 years old.
                      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                      CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      UniFlame Gas Grill
                      Lil Chief

Comment

I just purchased a Forschner 12" carving knife. Very nice feel to it and the handle is the Fibrox which I heard is easy to hold even if it gets all greasy. Haven't tried it yet but It feels good.

Like Chef Bob said, "They all cut"

Comment

Dexter Russell Knives, they are pretty decent knives also.
                          the knives you have mentioned wanting. are decent also. But, I think they are now made in Brazil and not germany. I have seen in all stores "the made in brazil" on them hence the cheaper price tags. as the knives from the german company seem to command a higher price.
                          Consumers digest for years has listed Chicago cutlery as the best buy.
                          they are not bad.
                          the knives you are wanting I have seen in stores. they are for me to fancy looking. for a lady's kitchen if you will. they would just not look right in a hunting camp if you happend the need to take one with you. or for that matter out to a fishing trip. Or next to the grill / smoker, But that is just me. I like a more rugged look to my edged cutting tools. and a little heft to em.

good luck on your purchase and may what ever you decide on serve you well.
                          sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                          nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

these are pretty cool. I do not own any and never really heard of them untill recently.
                            http://www.swissknifeshop.com/Forged...vf7740320g.htm

these look like pretty good stuff. and of course the sell write up makes ya think they are the best. seems a lot of folks have them.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                              I LOVE my Henkles... been collecting them one at a time from million dollar sonoma.. but I do LOVE them. My only other favorite knife was my pink one, which some body.. still researching finger prints.. tossed into the sink, since it was, key word there, was ceramic it cracked and then chipped... but that bad boy was my go to knife for everything..
                              those ceramic knive are nice. and not cheap. I do not own one. as they are so brittle, that like you said, it was dropped. and that is all it takes to break one.
                              plus from what I have heard and read. to sharpen one. you need to send it back to the manufactor to have the blade redone. for me not a good idea. as I would be using it offten and I am sure at one point I would need to / want to sharpen it.
                              If you still have it. it should make a good sharpening steel. just run your steel blades across the back of it like you would on a steele.

Comment

Working...
                              X