Click here to see my Belly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click here to see my Belly

I finally got around to getting a belly bacon project going. I obtained a hunk of pork belly. The slab weighed in at just under 6 lbs.

Here are a couple pics of the belly

I kept the cure very simple. I measured out the appropriate amount of TenderQuick and added 2 tablespoons each of white & brown sugar. I rubbed it down on all sides and edges for a few minutes.

It is now taking a nap in the fridge til next week. I was going to cold smoke it in my offset by tending a small fire in the firebox and cracking the lid open as needed to keep the temp down...similar to what I have done to smoke cheese. I will of course post some more pics when we get to that part of the process.
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

I am so glad that it was bacon that you showed me...coulda been sorry...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Was hoping for a pierced naval shot but a rubbed belly will do.
      sigpic

GOSM/propane
      UDS (Cam)/lump
      22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
      Weber Genesis/propane
      Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Allright! Remember to rinse the hunk, and fry a test strip for salt content before smoking. Yer gonna like that stuff!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Allright! Remember to rinse the hunk, and fry a test strip for salt content before smoking. Yer gonna like that stuff!
          Rich, I was planning on rinsing, then soaking for a couple hours before the fry test. This is because the Canadian bacon I made using TQ was a just a tad salty even after soaking. I suppose it isn't a big deal to fry, soak if needed, then fry again to check. Any thoughts??
          KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Well now we know you can rub your belly, but can you pat your head at the same time? Nice looking piece of meat.
            sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
              Rich, I was planning on rinsing, then soaking for a couple hours before the fry test. This is because the Canadian bacon I made using TQ was a just a tad salty even after soaking. I suppose it isn't a big deal to fry, soak if needed, then fry again to check. Any thoughts??
              Nope- don't think that's a problem. I have a bit of an issue with belly bacon curing, tho. Seems to me there's at least 40% fat. I think the cure amounts could be cut, and concentrated mainly on the meaty portions. Fat does not cure. Nor does it carry the cure thru it either I don't believe. I dunno... I'm gonna point BBally to this thread and ask his opinion.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

From yours and bballys previous comments regarding this I did place more emphasis on the meatier portions when rubbing in the cure. The side facing down in the pics was almost all fat but I didn't want to trim it all off-it is BACON after all. So while I did rub cure into all surfaces, I put more on the "top" than the "bottom." I figured I could always leave it in the fridge curing for an extra day or two if needed to get full cure penetration.
                KCBS/CBJ #56408

Comment

Try not to have preconceived ideas about soaking times. All bellies seem to be different for me. I rinse off the cure while scrubbing with a little dishwashing brush. After you get the cure off the outside is the time for the first taste test. It will probably be too salty, but it might not. If too salty soak for a half hour and taste again. If still too salty, change water and go another half hour.

Lather, rinse, repeat

This method will insure the perfect saltiness for your palate. After all it's your bacon.
                  Keith

Comment

I'll be watching this closely. I haven't seen any bellies around here, but maybe I can talk WALLE out of a fresh one.
                    sigpic
                    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                      I'll be watching this closely.

Me, too, Adam! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out for you...which I'm SURE will be great!
                      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                      Pink Thermapen
                      Purple Thermapen

Comment

Mmm bacon i will be watching and drooling
                        2-22.5'' weber
                        1-18'' weber
                        1 smokey joe
                        22.5'' wsm
                        24'' smoke vault
                        1-outhouse
                        Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                        Smoked meathead #135

Comment

nice lookin piece o belly , can't wait to see the end product
                          sigpic
                          homebuilt verticle ( aka the q-bottle )

Comment

I gotta belly up & do this gig....no pun....just need time.....
                            Sunset Eagle Aviation
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Where in Omaha?

Originally posted by wutang View Post
                              I finally got around to getting a belly bacon project going. I obtained a hunk of pork belly. The slab weighed in at just under 6 lbs.

Here are a couple pics of the belly

I kept the cure very simple. I measured out the appropriate amount of TenderQuick and added 2 tablespoons each of white & brown sugar. I rubbed it down on all sides and edges for a few minutes.

It is now taking a nap in the fridge til next week. I was going to cold smoke it in my offset by tending a small fire in the firebox and cracking the lid open as needed to keep the temp down...similar to what I have done to smoke cheese. I will of course post some more pics when we get to that part of the process.

Wu...Dude! Where did you find belly in Omaha? I have been DYING to do this and didn't know where to start.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X