Chicken Breast and ECB help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken Breast and ECB help please?

I'm gonna make chicken breasts on an ECB that I re-acquired, for tonights dinner. I'm using the Sriracha Asian Smoked Wing sauce recipe from Pete's post from while back.
    Any suggestions? Will they dry out since they're skinless? Should I marinate for a few hours? Does filling the water pan actually do anything for moisture?
    Any and all suggestions, help, criticism is appreciated.

Tom

I have injected with strained Italian dressing before with good results. Didn't screw-up the exterior marinade flavor. Or, add olive to your marinade, strain and inject? Worked for me on some thick pork chops too.

JT
    JT

Comment

YES to the marinate
      YES to use the water pan with water or jucies
      I would use bacon on the outside to also help keep the chicken moist
      hope this helps
      Mike
      Oklahoma City
      22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
      Weber 22.5 Performer
      GOSM 3405gw
      Boomer Sooner Drum
      Maverick ET-732
      Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
      A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

I have not been able to pull off similar to what you are attempting with a finishing glaze or BBQ sauce on my smoker, but can do OK on the grill. Brining should help some, I would think to help retain moisture. When I smoke breasts, a lot of times I will serve them shredded. Brine and rub, smoke to temps, pull immediately, foil for 10 minutes, then shred and serve whatever sauce I'm wanting over the shredded chicken. I've found trying to "cook in" a sauce on breasts will really dry em out, where the legs, wings and thighs have more fat and can take the final steps a lot better. If you do smoke and shred and have some left over shredded, try mixing a little Olive oil in with the shredded breast, then vac pack and refrigerate. You will have some fine moist smoked shredded chicken for anything then.... As always, good luck Tom!
        sigpic

Comment

Here's what I've done so far.
          I cut the breasts into sizable strips and they are now marinading, under a vacuum, in my Italian dressing. I'm shaking the vac container every hour to keep the dressing ingredients well mixed. Hopefully they'll marinade better cut into strips.
          I went the vacuum route because I think I can avoid injecting this way. And I'm hoping the olive oil in the dressing is enough fat to keep them moist.
          Any more input?

Tom

Comment

Looks like ya got it covered Tom. Good luck with the ECB. I cant keep temps down on mine. They just keep rising...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

The only thing that comes to mind is the cutting into strips.....Where you will increase the area exposed to the air/smoke, which I would think would tend to dry them out even more. Someone at Smurf used to smoke them in a tin foil boat with Olive Oil in it (I think Geek With Fire?)..... Maybe bacon wrap em?
              sigpic

Comment

I thought about the bacon wrap, but I don't know how that will work out with the sriracha wing sauce.
                I also thought about the extra surface area exposed, but then I thought it would cook a bit faster too. We'll see what happens. It certainly wouldn't be the first meal I've ruined. Always have a back up. PB&J anyone?

Tom

Comment

Working...
                X