Finally Scored Some Olive Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Scored Some Olive Wood

After reading all the awesome reviews from folks who have used olive wood and seeing as how I am surrounded by the stuff, I figured it was time to give it a try. My coworker owns an orchard (heck, who doesn't in Corning, except maybe me ) so I asked him to hook me up.

He brought these to work today.

They're still pretty heavy so I'll need to let them dry a bit I think. He said they had been cut about 6 months ago. I'll have to cut them into chunks so they can dry a bit.

Maybe I'll try one on a tri tip this weekend. Or maybe just cut a hunk off and fire up the Afterburner so I can smell the smoke.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Ya done good with that Cat hookin ya up with that! Heard it's good!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

It IS good.... and HEAVY even dried apparently. UH sent me some... well aged, but dang dense stuff...
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Nice score! Did we ever determine if Russian Olive was a good smoking wood? If so, I've got a bunch of that.
        sigpic
        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

only way i can get olive wood is by a very small package at the local outdoor store.....i think a .5 lb box is about 8-9 dollars....would like to try some
          Mike
          Oklahoma City
          22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
          Weber 22.5 Performer
          GOSM 3405gw
          Boomer Sooner Drum
          Maverick ET-732
          Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
          A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
            Nice score! Did we ever determine if Russian Olive was a good smoking wood? If so, I've got a bunch of that.
            I think we were waiting on you to try it...
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              It IS good.... and HEAVY even dried apparently. UH sent me some... well aged, but dang dense stuff...
              Hmm . . . well if it was cut in June, given the low humidity we have in the summers and how quickly stuff air dries out in this area (former lumber dry kiln operator here ) maybe it IS already dry enough to smoke with.

I'll have to saw off a chunk and see.

Dave
              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
              -
              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Oh yeah that's the stuff there. Looks very much like the wood I have Dave! Nice score bud!! That wood is dense as all get out, no doubt. I have used this with some moisture in the wood, but not much. With absolutely great results. I have a limited hook up to this olive wood. It was fruit bearing olive wood brought from Hemet ,Ca. to be transplanted. Many of these did not have irrigation and went south...to me aprox. 2 miles I also get the root balls.Gotta another 4 - 21 foot flatbed loads I can get These root balls have all the same characteristics as the trunk/limb wood, except for being nice and straight. Take a nice whack with a splitting maul at the root ball. You get a kick ass , coal bed makin' chunk of goodness! And who woulda thunk? Burns clean, smells good, with a very light ash. I would personally do a burn test in a fire pit with the Russian olive. Check the aromatics, and see how it burns. What kinda ash ya are left with... I hope y'all enjoy as much as we do!
                Happy smokes!
                Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Great stuff, might be my favorite. Intoxicating smell too (Or maybe the beer just get's to me)
                  Last edited by Fishawn; 01-15-2010, 09:53 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'll wait until this snow melts and find some of the Russian that I dozed into a pile last fall. Might be awhile, but I'll post the results.
                    sigpic
                    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Dave
                      You are gonna love it! It is my favorite wood. The smell is intoxicating, and right after its cut it smells like a fine whiskey!
                      When I smoke, which is a lot, with people over, I will say hey smell that? that's cherry smell the difference? or hickory, or pecan.. the just look at me dimfounded.. I walk away mumbling something about them all being idiots.. but when you toss some olive in there.. My neighbor at the end of the block will text me and say hey are you smoking something today?... I can't wait to hear your review!!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Nice score. I wish it would grow around here...
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Got the Russian olive trees(and I use the term loosely) everywhere around me. I've always considered them to be a weed tree. But they wood sure does look similar to what you showed here.
                          sigpic

GOSM/propane
                          UDS (Cam)/lump
                          22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                          Weber Genesis/propane
                          Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

I wonder, I have autumn olive but it grows like brush, if I were to start trimming/pruning into a more tree like I could increase the diameter. If I ever get my wood shop set up, I want to get a log and turn on the lathe a salt box. I seen one on the wood working forum with a pivoting magnetic hindge on the lid. the grain is beautiful when finished.

Originally posted by Bassman View Post

Comment

Great score DDave. Never tried it but I one day I'd like to...
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              KCBS CBJ

Comment

Working...
                              X