Hickory Nut Monkey Bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hickory Nut Monkey Bread

Bassman's pull apart rolls in the Deserts forum inspired me to make some monkey bread for the kids, so here it is.

Recipe for the best damn dinner rolls you've ever had
    1 tsp sugar
    1 1/2 tsp instant yeast or 1 envelope dry active yeast
    1/4 C tepid water (105-110 degrees)
    1 cup warm milk
    1/4 C melted butter
    1/4 C sugar
    1 egg, beaten (at room temp)
    1 tsp salt
    4 C all-purpose flour

Combine sugar and yeast in luke warm water.
    Let stand 5-10 minutes until yeast begins to foam.
    Thoroughly mix milk, butter, sugar, egg and salt in large bowl.
    Stir in the yeast mixture and 3 1/2 cups of flour, adding a bit more if necessary to make a soft, pliable dough.
    Turn dough out on floured board and let rest while you clean and butter bowl.
    Knead dough gently 4-5 minutes, adding flour if necessary, until dough is smooth and silky.
    Return to bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in warm place until doubled in size (1 1/2 hours approximately).
    Punch down and divide into 32 pieces of similar size.

1 C chopped pecans or hickory nuts
    1 stick melted butter
    1/3 C maple syrup
    1/2 C sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 package (8 oz) cream cheese

Sprinkle hickory nuts or pecans into a greased 10-inch bundt cake or angel food cake pan. In a small bowl, mix 2 Tbls butter and maple syrup until well blended, pour over nuts in pan. Set aside.

You should have 32 pieces of bread dough. Flatten each dough ball a bit with your fingers. Place remaining melted butter in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon.

Cut cream cheese into 32 cubes and roll in sugar mixture. Place one cube in center of each piece of dough, and fold up dough around cream cheese to seal tightly. Dip one side of each dough ball in the butter, then in the sugar mixture. Place in pan sugar-side up.

Pour remaining butter over top and sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture. Cover with plastic and let rise to double in size. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Invert onto a serving platter and serve warm.

Tom

OK thats it!!! NO MORE!!!!
    You guys have made me gain more weight with your damn monky butt, dessert rolls... just looking, next time I get on the Wii Fit it is gonna say "get off, is she a great big fat person?"

Ok copied and pasted... sheesh Tom!
    Where did I put my biggest loser application?

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Geez Kelly... Im sure that Tom didnt mean to make you fat...I mean...oh nothing...Ill shut up!
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

next time I get on the Wii Fit it is gonna say "get off, is she a great big fat person?"
        Mine already says that lol
        It also asked me if I had trouble walking and often fell over.
        We buried it yesterday ;-)

Amazing rolls tom, I reckon if I used a low fat cream cheese, they'd be healthy enough

How much does a 'stick' of butter weigh ?
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Well Tom, you just had to do it didn't you? That's some great looking bread! for making them from scratch.
          sigpic
          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Wow! Loves me some bread, and you guys are killing me with your posts lately.

Gunslinger - I suggest a new name for your bread - Hickory looks fricken delicious Nut Monkey Bread!

Comment

Okay Tom, you've done it again.

That looks AWESOME!!

But heck, I'd have given you points just for the thread title. Hickory Nut Monkey Bread

Maybe double points if you mistyped and called it Hickory Monkey Nut Bread.

Dave
              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
              -
              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                next time I get on the Wii Fit it is gonna say "get off, is she a great big fat person?"
                That Wii stuff is evil. I boxed my wife and got my ass handed to me.

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                Geez Kelly... Im sure that Tom didnt mean to make you fat...I mean...oh nothing...Ill shut up!
                Very wise man.

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                How much does a 'stick' of butter weigh ?
                1 stick = 1/4 lb = 1/2 C = 8 Tablespoons

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
                Gunslinger - I suggest a new name for your bread - Hickory looks fricken delicious Nut Monkey Bread!
                Thanks Dude.

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                Well Tom, you just had to do it didn't you? That's some great looking bread! for making them from scratch.
                Hey I appreciate that. Like I said, your's inspired me.

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                Maybe double points if you mistyped and called it Hickory Monkey Nut Bread.

Dave

Tom

Comment

Wow. Holy crap I am seriously drooling here. Those look outstanding!!!
                  KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Sheesh those look amazing Tom.
                    Keith

Comment

Dang....all these sweets & I don't eat em....may hafta reconsider! That is just great lookin!
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Man that looks good...Never thought a smokin meat forum would make me step the dough game up....Top notch as always...Farking pointed out again...

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                          Man that looks good...Never thought a smokin meat forum would make me step the dough game up....Top notch as always...Farking pointed out again...
                          Yeah, we redefine multi-tasking around here.

Tom

Comment

Great post...I'm a sucker for sweets and breads...well, almost as much as great bbq. Love that you did them from scratch.
                            BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                            Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                            I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Wow, Gunner that looks freaking amazing. I just love it. for ya bud...
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              KCBS CBJ

Comment

Working...
                              X