Charcoal VS Stick burners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charcoal VS Stick burners

I've been burning charcoal in Whisky Fish. Primarily because I've been told that burning the logs would over smoke my food. Obviously some of you are doing it all the time. The one time I did light a wood fire, it was definately not the "thin blue" smoke but rather a thick white.
    What am I missing here?
    Is it a design flaw on whisky?
    Is there a particular way to build the fire?
    I've got an unlimited suppy of Oak and I burn it on the grill side all the time, but would love to use it instead of the charcoal for smoking.
    Any thoughts?

JT
    JT

Send oak and I will send secrets on stick burning.
    Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Bring chainsaw, truck, briskets and beer, I'll hook ya up
      JT

Comment

The biggest thing about starting and cooking on the stick burner is most people start to cook to early on wood. I fire mine almost an hour prior to starting to use it.

Once its charred down good you can start to cook on lighter smoke. Adding just a piece or two of wood at a time. If you have an oak based fire you can add a stick of hickory on top and the two make among the best smoking fire you can get.

That said, don't fall for the "only smoke should be a thin blue line" type mantra. While most foods benefit from light smoke, many require a heavy heavy smoke to come out correctly. So realize that thin blue line is for those cooking specific cuts that are generally going to be consumed that day or the next day.

But if you do sausage such as bung style meats or bag balony, you need a lot heavier smoke to create the correct density of smoke in the meat.

So becareful climbing on a bandwagon, sometimes the band is playing the wrong tune for the product you are creating. Cracks me up to watch some try and make rules that apply to everything in smoking, smoke is adjusted just like heat.
        Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

I am not familiar with your smoker but in my 48 lang I burn both but mostly wood. If you are having trouble with to much smoke you can preburn in your pit and move the coals when needed or maybe as I do when cooking at low temps for bacon and sausage I use RO Lump in a stainless wok basket and just toss on a stick or two from time to time for added flavor. The basket keeps it all together in a larger fire box and lets me have better control with smaller fires. Hope this helps.
          sigpic

My Facebook page
          http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...Q/131613189083

Comment

Thanks guys, great points. I guess it's time to do some experimenting.

JT
            JT

Comment

Thanks for asking Whisky and also for the answers. I've never used a stick burner, rely on charcoal, lump. New reverse flow going to have to try some logs. Great info. Maybe should be a sticky on building a fire with a stick burner.
              Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Yes sir JT, experimenting is a great start. I, like BBally said...burn mine at least an hour before. I lean on the 2 hour mark. I build a tinder box much like this

Put fire to this. Let it burn down a bit and create a coal bed. Once I have a coal bed I add a couple sticks at a time. Not piled in the fire box but now placed in random hot coaled areas. Watch your stacks at this point if you are looking for the thin and blue. I will say that it is almost impossible to not ever have a lick of gray smoke, once in a while. It wont happen through the whole smoke, but more likely when you add sticks. Keep your wood near the fire box to keep it warm. It will take to the fire better. A pre burn does work well also in my experience. Although you will burn through a bit 'o wood doing the pre burn. Keep the thermos intact at grate level and watch the temps as you burn. There will not necessarily be "fire" in the fire box to create the thin 'n blue you are wanting and the temps you want to achieve.

Couple of times doing this and you will be the "Tamer of the Fire" . You'll catch on in a jiffy bud!

14 lbs of mesquite wood fired Tri Tip.

Burning over wood will give you a wonderful feeling of satisfaction.
                Good luck in you ventures
                Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

That is some great info Ryan. Thanks.
                  Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Thanks Ryan. Looks like I need to split down my wood more. And It looks like you're not using bark at all? Is there a "perfect" size for burning. Sorry for the rookie questions, but this just isn't done around here.
                    JT

Comment

Great pics Ryan. I also burn only logs. And it usually takes a couple of hours for me to get a good bed of coals. SO if I need to get the food on at 6:00 a.m. then I like to get the fire going at 3:00. Makes for a long day when doing packers, clods and big butts, but it's worth it in the end.

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                      Thanks Ryan. Looks like I need to split down my wood more. And It looks like you're not using bark at all? Is there a "perfect" size for burning. Sorry for the rookie questions, but this just isn't done around here.
                      Remember the smaller the split, the faster it will burn, so to get the fire started and a good coal bed, start with small ones, then to keep it going I like to add splits about double the size I started with.
                      If you prefer charcoal, you can use all that oak to make your own lump charcoal.

Tom

Comment

WF I dont know if you are familiar with the Chargriller but thats what I use. Its kinda small for a stick burner but I try to run it that way. After I get my bed of coals lit then i add a stick of preheated wood to the coals. I also will add a couple unlit coals from time to time to keep the coals a plenty. If the wood is preheated on top of the firebox it will ignite quickly. The only time I get ugly smoke is when I've let my coals get too few and the next split doesnt light up right away. I read of folks using 20-30 pounds of coal on a long smoke...I'll use 6-8 pounds, maybe less, on a 10 hour smoke. the rest is wood. Its a challenge but well worth the time it takes to "master the fire".

Here is the CG

A sample fire... Trust me there is ample coals to do the job under the rack where the log is. This wood was just added and has already started to burn.

A small clean burning fire is all I need
                        Good luck to you.
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                          It looks like you're not using bark at all? Is there a "perfect" size for burning
                          If the bark is loose remove it if you like. Splits about the thickness of a beer can, or smaller untill you find out what your cooker likes to consume, should work well for you after you have a good coal bed going.

I like to season oak for 2 years, in my opinion it makes more BTUs and burns cleaner when its seasoned longer, but 1 year will work if its split well. Rounds will hold higher moisture levels than splits.

I like bbally's explanation of smoke thickness also.
                          Rusty Recycled Relics

Comment

Airflow is VERY critical in stickburners for a good fire. I guess I'd start there... fire it up and start tweaking. From the sound of it...you need to INCREASE airflow. The true stickburners tend to a large firebox, allowing better flow, and still enough flow when keeping lower temps to keep a good fire going. That's the hallmark of a true stickburner.
                            Last edited by Richtee; 01-16-2010, 12:23 PM.
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Great thread guy's
                              2-22.5'' weber
                              1-18'' weber
                              1 smokey joe
                              22.5'' wsm
                              24'' smoke vault
                              1-outhouse
                              Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                              Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Working...