Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hesitant to use used gas containers for smoker

Hello Everyone,

I am new to smoking. My friend made some delicious smoked fish, and he gave me a barrel that was probably used to store gasoline a long time ago and a used propane tank. My wife wants me to build a smoker from these, but I am concerned about the health risks of using these old containers. What do you think of chemicals entering my food from these containers? Do you have any information about the health risks or how to clean these? I love smoked food, but I am very cautious about chemicals.

I would appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Ecosmoker

Welcome to the forum. I've never built a smoker but lots of folks here have done so. As long as you do a good burn on the barrel, I don't think there would be a problem. There are lots of smokers out there built from propane tanks.
    sigpic
    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

How long has it been since it contained any fuel?? If it has been a year or two, just be sure to burn a really hot fire in it after you get the doors cut and out..

Wash it out and make your build.. Be sure to season the pit when done and before your first smoke..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Go down to walmart. They sell a degreaser in a purple labelled bottle. Buy it, scrub that sucker down with it. Rinse it, burn it out. Season with oil, smoke at will!!!
        Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Working...
        X