Frontier Charcoal - Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frontier Charcoal - Review

Well, I bought a couple bags of the briquets & tried it out twice.

The briquets are all natural hardwood with no filler. The size of the briquets was smaller than any other than charcoal that I've seen. Maybe the size of a 50cent piece?

Anyway...It was very difficult to light on my chimney both times. Had to go through 3 loads of paper to get it to light....(fyi - normally I only have to do 1 run of paper, so it's not user error)..

Once lit, it didn't seem to burn real hot, which is definitely a plus. I was smoking ribs & was holding 225* on my UDS. It did great at holding steady temps.

Seemed to burn really fast through. After 6 hours of ribs, I could see the bottom of my UDS basket, which I've never seen before. I'd almost be afraid to use this on a brisket or pork shoulder on my UDS, as I'm afraid the fuel would run out.

As far as taste goes, it came out spot on. Did a 1.5hr thigh smoke & the taste was right. Ribs came out great as well.

Overall, I'll probably continue to use this Frontier for shorter smokes. It's hard to light, holds steady temps, great taste, burns fast.
    Chris
    UDS - Buckeye 1
    Charcoal Grill - Panther 1
    GOSM Wide Body
    Cabela's Masterbuilt 7-1 Electric
    2 Dutch Ovens
    Cabelas Grinder
    Cabelas Jerky Blaster
    Maverick ET-73 Thermometer
    Maverick ET-7 Thermometer

Huh...never seen that brand. Thanks for the info.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Chris, my charc lights a lot quicker now in my chimney since I started drizzling a little veggie oil over the newspaper in the bottom before putting the briquettes in. Lots more flame and it knocks 5-7 minutes off before I can dump them.

Comment

Working...
      X