Duck and Ham, Grill and Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duck and Ham, Grill and Smoker

Decided to get some vittles cooked up yesterday as the weather was just perfect for a January day.

I marinated a whole duck, which I quarted, for 24 hours. This was the first duck I have done and I followed a recipe from a duck a buddy grilled for me down in FL. Anyway, it's not the last duck I am doing. The whole family loved it. Although the skin looks burnt/crisp, it was actually very good and no burnt taste to it at all given the fat content in a duck.

The better part of the day went into smoking a 7 lb ham. Applied the rub 24 hours prior and wrapped her up. I used apple wood and a pineapple based mop with a pineapple/honey glaze in the last hour.

All in all, a good day and a happy family.

Thanks for looking.
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Pete, I'm sure the family was happy after those perfect beauties. Great looking grub!
    sigpic

Comment

Great looking ham, Pete! I'm not much for duck, but I might even give that a try.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
        Great looking ham, Pete! I'm not much for duck, but I might even give that a try.
        Me too. Not a water foul fan either, wild or domestic. But I'd try that.

Tom

Comment

The real problem with duck is not the preparation, but the fact that no matter how you prepare it, it still tastes like duck!

BTW nice ham. I am definitely a fan of all things pig! oink oink
          Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

Man oh man , awesome looking grub ... luv the looks of that ham ... but what pray tell is the recipe for the duck marinade you used ?
            sigpic
            homebuilt verticle ( aka the q-bottle )

Comment

Hey Abelman,

What's in the duck brine...I see oranges, oil, spice...it looks fantastic. I don't have any ducks, but I sure know where I can get a chicken. I would love to try it too.
              BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
              Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
              I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Pete
                That duck looks done to perfection! Do post the recipe, I would love to give it a go!
                That ham looks like I need to get on that ham smoking deal quick.. I bet that makes some fantastic hammy sammies! Great smoke Pete!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Thanks everyone, it was sure good.

One thing I will say about duck is that it's not chicken or turkey. It has it's own taste and I think it's better. Bottom line, duck fat is the key. I had never had duck until my buddy did one for me and I was amazed. When I tried this myself, it was just as good. I followed his recipe.

I am a fan of duck and will certainly be doing more.

As for the ham, that was my second one and it's a hit with the kids and makes great sammies as well as some other goodies. Just like the duck was.

As for the marinade, sorry but I can't share this one. I was sworn to secrecy and I have to respect that. For those that know me, you know I always share recipes when it's not an issue. Sorry but I agreed, hope you understand.

I will say, look up the Alton Brown duck recipe, I think he calls it Mighty Duck. Actually, here's a link...I'd like to try the steaming portion from this and then go to the grill.....I'll try this at some point soon. I also want to try some stuff under the duck like I do with veggies under a brisket and/or butt.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
                  Pete
                  Large BGE
                  Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Working...
                  X