heat control in a small vertical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heat control in a small vertical

I have a Brinkman Vertical smoker. I use kingsford coals with wood chunks for smoke. I have a hard time keeping my temps up. I have made some slight mods, adding in a larger pan for holding more coals and drilled in 1/4" holes around the bottom of the pan to help airflow. Have a hard time when trying to keep up at 250. Any ideas
    Brinkman square vertical smoker
    Masterbuilt KB800

You using a waterpan?
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      You using a waterpan?
      yes I am using the water pan.
      Masterbuilt KB800

Comment

Originally posted by smokin aces View Post
        I have a Brinkman Vertical smoker. I use kingsford coals with wood chunks for smoke. I have a hard time keeping my temps up. I have made some slight mods, adding in a larger pan for holding more coals and drilled in 1/4" holes around the bottom of the pan to help airflow. Have a hard time when trying to keep up at 250. Any ideas
        What are we calling a "Brinkman Vertical?" An ECB? Which one, because I had a hard time keeping mine low when I did the chicken strips last week.
        First think you need to do is paint over the therm. Mine read right on the line between warm and ideal when actually it was running over 300°.

Tom

Comment

Drop the water. Leave the pan :{)
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I got Cabana boy one while they were on sale at HD. I can't control the temps in there to save my life... did the drilling holes gig.. water with out water.. the only thing I like is that is does transport easy for an easy warm up of food at the races..... if you can get it hot enough... if you can't get it hot enough.. make sure your friends don't toss jesus juice in on the smoldering coals with all the doors closed... this is a bad idea.. don't ask me how I know..

I think it really has to do with the crappy set up you need much more air flow from the bottom and its just a PITA to get going. and maintain, for me anyway.. its a beer top now next to the webby ;)

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Drop the water. Leave the pan :{)
              last time I used it did without water, drippings from the meaty goodness ended up in the pan and caused a few flame ups. Took a little less tending to to keep it up, but flames not good.
              Masterbuilt KB800

Comment

You can cover the pan with foil, or add some sand to stop that.

Comment

ill be all over it like a blue leisure suit this weekend, thanks for the advice
                  Masterbuilt KB800

Comment

Yea, drop the water, leave the pan, add some sand. There is step 1. Step 2, do you have vent holes in the lid? If not, drill a series of 1/2" holes in a semi circle, take a pie pan and a bolt to rotate and allow holes to be uncovered or covered as needed. The increased air flow will help draw air through the charcoal pan. Third, pop out that ineffective ECB thermo, cover the hole with some sheet metal. Either buy a new thermo with a short stub and install just above the grate or go with a remote probe like a MAV-73. Fourth, drop the Kingsford, go to Wal-Mart and get the Wally world charcoal in the black bag. It burns hotter and longer than Kingsford and has little if any chemical taste -- unlike Kingsford.

Do all of those, if ya still have problems, let me know and I can give ya some more stuff to do. But trust me, that ECB is as good as any other smoker. You just have to learn it and your limitations and either work with them or around them. I use mine, and even do brisket on the low and slow end. And beer can chicken on the high temp end. It took time to learn.
                    sigpic

Comment

what is jesus juice ?
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                        what is jesus juice ?
                        I thought it was wine or other liquor served in a coke can as a disguise. Otherwise IDK.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                          I thought it was wine or other liquor served in a coke can as a disguise. Otherwise IDK.
                          That's correct, made famous by the late M.J.
                          Masterbuilt KB800

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                            what is jesus juice ?
                            Sorry Alex, I am behind in posting... its lighter fluid... its highly blow up able in a closed space.. I'm just saying...

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

The easy thing is just to use playground sand instead of water in the pan. Go to a Home Depot or Lowes and get a bag. It's cheap and will last a long time. After you put the sand in, cover it with a layer of heavy duty foil. You don't need to change it as long as you have it covered with the foil and keep it clean.

Looks like you're in MI and it's cold like CO in the winter. I use sand in the winter and water in the pan during the summer. Works like a charm on a vertical.

You will notice temps can and will get much higher than what you're doing now so you won't need as much charcoal either. I can get my vertical up to 350 on a 30 degree day so I can do a turkey.

I don't find that you loose any moisture in the meat either. I also use a BGE which doesn't use a water pan but rather a ceramic plate setter that is basically the same as using sand. If you do think moisture is a problem, you can inject, brine, mop or spritz the victim as well. It's all easily done as you know. Plus, you get all the benefits of the flavor. I do some or all of those even if I use a water pan so it's not an extra step as far as I'm concerned.

Between that and your vents, you'll be good to go in controlling temps. Hope that helps.
                              Pete
                              Large BGE
                              Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Working...
                              X