• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Shooter Rick's Canadian Bacon

Shooters Canadian Bacon

1 TBS Morton’s Tender Quick per pound of trimmed meat
    1 tsp Raw Sugar per pound of meat

Mix and combine well with the above cure. Remember that all must be used on each cut to ensure the proper and safe amount of cure. If multiple meat cuts are used it must be mixed for each individual cut.

Mix the following per pound of trimmed meat.
    1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
    1 tsp Basil dried
    1 tsp Onion Powder
    1 tsp Garlic Powder
    1 tsp Hungarian Paprika
    1 tsp Course Black Pepper

OK so I went with this on a 3lb piece of loin last night and first I gotta say...WOW, that's a lot of rub when you make it per lb of meat as instructed. But it worked.
    The real question is do I have to rinse the rub off before smoking like if I were making "regular" CB?

You there Rick? Let me know.

Thanks for the recipe. Can't wait to try it. I also did another 3lbr w/ just TQ and Turbinado. Last time I did CB I used Curley's brown sugar cure so I am real excited about doing it from scratch this time.

Thanks again.

Dave

I have used SR recipe many times...the only thing I do is make sure it is rinsed several times because of the salt(I am salt sensitive)...the spices remain the same and have been excellent every time I have made It. It Is good!!

Comment

Rinse and soak if needed. I'm sure you must of heard of the fry test to check for saltiness. If not, rinse and take a small slice off the end and give a quick fry for a taste test. If too salty soak in water for an hour, and try/fry another, until it is to your likeing changing water between soaks. Now as far as Basil on my bacon I would have to taste that before putting in my mix.
      Last edited by SmokinLee; 01-21-2010, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks JJB. I just wonder since the whole idea of rinsing is to get rid of the extra cure. But since it is mixed in w/ so many spices I just had to wonder and ask. I pm'd Rick too so hopefully he will chime in and share his experience too.

Dave

Comment

So...Rinse.

Originally posted by JimmyJoeBob View Post
          I have used SR recipe many times...the only thing I do is make sure it is rinsed several times because of the salt(I am salt sensitive)...the spices remain the same and have been excellent every time I have made It. It Is good!!
          So I'm gettin the idea that the spices are going to soak in during the next 9 or 10 days and I need to rinse like one usually would when using TQ. Till I hear diff from the man...that is what I will plan to do. Planned smoke day is 1/30 so should be plenty of time for the goodness to soak in.
          Thanks guys.

Dave

Comment

I just did this CB recipe. I to had a bit left over so I just tossed it in with zip lock bag and the next couple days I just rolled the loin around. I gave it a good rinse and then I let soak for an hour. did a sample test and was well pleased with the results. Smoked with pecan for about 5 hours. So far I have used it in a soup, kids grilled cheese sammies, and of course for breakfast. I find myself grabbing a slice for snacks now. You will be very happy with the final result. If it seems to salty for you soak in cool water and check on the hour and change out the water.
            If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
            Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

From Shooter Rick

Just got your PM. Sorry it took awhile. Rinse well after cure. The spices flavor it during the curing process. I also will at times after a good rinse put a light coat of EVOO and then dust well with Hungarian paprika or Cracked black pepper. Both are very good. The info others have given about the fry test and soak to reach a salt level you like is spot on. Enjoy!
              sigpic

My Facebook page
              http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...Q/131613189083

Comment

Working...
              X