Sourdough Baguettes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourdough Baguettes

Wanted to give the baguette bread gig a shot.
    this is a homemade baguette pan that I inherited.

Sour dough after first rise. Made with
    3 cups bread flour
    2 cups active sourdough starter
    1/8 cup salt
    3 tbs sugar
    And approximately 1/4 cup of water. Just enough moisture to keep dough from being crumbly.
    Cut the above aforementioned in half and made 2 dough logs. Rolled in white corn meal.

oiled pan and sprinkled it with white corn meal as well. Laid dough log into pan

2nd rise complete and ready to go to the oven. I like this recipe because of the ratio of flour to starter. Too much flour defeats the starter IMHO When the two amounts are close it lets the SOUR in the dough shine through.
    baked at 375° for 35 minutes, middle rack in my electric oven.

Sliced and waiting for Scott to slice some sausage...lol No sausage in the house to speak of...dang it Buttered lightly with a green chili mustard. Fantastic flavor in the bread. I am thinking Bruschetta or sourdough croutons next. Or simply cut a v cut length wise in the baguette, much like a sub sammich, add meat and cheeses where necessary . Definite will do again!
    Thank you for looking at me bread! Happy Smokes!!!
    Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Great idea ryan.....On the to-do list....BRAVO and thanks for this post.

Comment

Nice Ryan. My last ones turned out a bit heavy but the birds like them.

Comment

Looks good Ryan.
        Check out baguette history and law sometime. Interesting believe it or not.

Tom

Comment

Sigh... I gotta get into this baking thing. Just what I need!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Loving it Uncle Honky. (Banana smile thingy) and (Drool thingy). lol
            ---------------------------------------------------
            I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
            ---------------------------------------------------
            KCBS CBJ

Comment

OMG Ry!
              That looks amazing! I have to start my starter now.. that I have an OVEN that works! Brushetta baby, get on that! YUM!!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                Looks good Ryan.
                Check out baguette history and law sometime. Interesting believe it or not.
                Very interesting indeed Tom. Thank you for pointing me in this direction. I truly love history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baguette

On edit: I think I may see what you are talking about....

While a regular baguette is made with a direct addition of baker's yeast, it is not unusual for artisan-style loaves to be made with a poolish, "biga" or other bread pre-ferments to increase flavor complexity and other characteristics, as well as the addition of whole wheat flour or other grains such as rye. French bread is required by law to avoid preservatives, and as a result bread goes stale in under 24 hours, thus baking baguettes is a daily occurrence, unlike sourdough bread which is baked generally once or twice a week, due to the natural preservatives in a sourdough starter.

Can this be called a sourdugh baguette? I thoroughly enjoy learning these type things. Awesome!
                Last edited by Uncle-Honky; 01-24-2010, 05:07 PM.
                Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

3 cups bread flour
                  1/8 cup salt
                  3 tbs sugar
                  And approximately 1/4 cup of water. Just enough moisture to keep dough from being crumbly.

I like this recipe because of the ratio of flour to starter. Too much flour defeats the starter IMHO When the two amounts are close it lets the SOUR in the dough shine through.

Maybe that's one reason why my "sourdough" doesn't taste like "sourdough" ?
                  Have even tried a "stiff starter"

Comment

Psssssttt...don't tell any one else, but...... I like to feed my starter beer on the weekends. I will warm 1/2 cup beer, in the microwave and add to 1 cup flour in my already thriving sourdough starter. I have noticed a change personally, for the better, Sourness and tanginess. (thumbs up)
                    Ryan

Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cajun_1 View Post
                      3 cups bread flour
                      1/8 cup salt
                      3 tbs sugar

I like this recipe because of the ratio of flour to starter. Too much flour defeats the starter IMHO When the two amounts are close it lets the SOUR in the dough shine through.

Maybe that's one reason why my "sourdough" doesn't taste like "sourdough" ?
                      Have even tried a "stiff starter"
                      Tim, if you proof slow and cold, it should make a lot of difference. If I am not under time constraints, I'll proof in the fridge.

Tom

Comment

Nice looking loaves! I haven't tried making those yet.
                        sigpic
                        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Thanks guy's ... I can try both these methods ...

Comment

Working...
                          X