TEST-KitchenAid Stand Mixer as Meat Mixer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TEST-KitchenAid Stand Mixer as Meat Mixer

I posed a question in another forum asking if a stand mixer, specifically my new KA Pro 600, would make an efficient meat mixer. The replies were less than favorable, for a number of unfounded and untested reasons. So I decided to take my chances with 10 lbs of pork butt and 1 lb of cheese and try it myself.
    I made cheddar brats, and will post my results here as well as there.
    I am including 2 videos as well as a couple of pics. This is my first time uploading videos, so be nice to me, as I'm no pro.

Here's what I had after grinding about a 10 1/2 lb pork butt.

As a side note, if any of you have seen and questioned these EZ grind attachments, my review goes like this: Absolutely awesome, well worth the 50 bucks. With my little Dewalt drill, it takes about 3 minutes to grind 10 lbs, and the drill never slows down. The grinder is a 20 dollar #10 cheapo Chinese Walmart job.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZqaBXbio7-8&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Here I start with my ground butt and added spices, no water in this test. Wanted to see how it would do dry. After grinding, this weighed at 10 lbs exactly. After about 40 secs the seasoning seemed fairly well incorporated.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MnrcSjvKc_U&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

This is after adding 1 lb of cheese. This is too much for the 6 qt capacity of this bowl, but all in all it turned out pretty well.

Here is the pork after mixing with the KA. Looks pretty decent.

First run in natural casing. Notice how I tie the ends. If you don't over stuff, you can twist off your links afterwords. Natural casings are pretty forgiving. I wouldn't attempt this with collagen.

This is after about 1/2 hour of drying, then I cut with scissors right in the middle of the twist. You can see how well the casing holds it's rounded shape on the end. And this will hold well for grilling, smoking, frying, and boiling.

These are the "oddballs" that didn't make it into the freezer. Browned in a cast iron skillet, then simmered in white grape juice and chicken stock, then re-browned.
    FANTASTIC!!!!
    Last edited by Gunslinger; 02-21-2009, 08:11 PM.

Tom

where was you when i was asking what stand mixer to buy GS

but is that more a grinder than a mixer?

did you also stuff it using the KA?

BUTT, in picture number 2, looks like a drill helping ya out?

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
      where was you when i was asking what stand mixer to buy GS

but is that more a grinder than a mixer?

did you also stuff it using the KA?

BUTT, in picture number 2, looks like a drill helping ya out?
      I received the mixer a little more than a week ago. I bought it from Ace Hardware Outlet for 339 bucks w/free shipping and also got a 40 dollar rebate from KA.
      http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(no...?SKU=214340225
      The mixer is KA's largest most powerful pro mixer. 300 bucks after rebate is a steal for that mixer.
      My wife makes all of our bread products, so I bought it with that in mind, but will use it for whatever I can.
      I also bought the the pasta roller and cutter attachment. Man homemade pasta is the best.
      http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(no...px?SKU=6095632
      I used the roller to roll out sheets of dough for egg roll wrappers. This thing will literally roll dough paper thin.
      I did not buy the grinder/stuffer because I already have a grinder and a vertical stuffer.
      Pic 2 is an EZ Grind attachment (made by Weston). It's a gear reduction box that replaces your hand crank on your grinder, then you chuck it up in drill, and just run the drill. It's slick, and well worth the 50 bucks. Your only limitation is the size of your drill, and my little Dewalt handles the job flawlessly.

Tom

Comment

Looks like it did a fine job...Did use use it to mix the seasonings in or did you do that during the grinding stage??
        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Smoked-Meat View Post
          Looks like it did a fine job...Did use use it to mix the seasonings in or did you do that during the grinding stage??
          Mixed the seasoning with the KA before adding the cheese.

Tom

Comment

Cool... I know you only cooked up a few renegade links.. I take it the flavor was even through out the links?
            Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Smoked-Meat View Post
              Cool... I know you only cooked up a few renegade links.. I take it the flavor was even through out the links?
              So far so good. I also had a couple patties and all was well there too.
              My theory is that if this thing will knead bread in 2 minutes, mixing meat shouldn't take too awful long.

I'll only use this when doing small batches, otherwise it's back to the hands until I can get a real meat mixer.

BTW, why couldn't I post a youtube video on here?

Tom

Comment

<object width="425" height="344">Here ya go.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZqaBXbio7-8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  So far so good. I also had a couple patties and all was well there too.
                  My theory is that if this thing will knead bread in 2 minutes, mixing meat shouldn't take too awful long.

I'll only use this when doing small batches, otherwise it's back to the hands until I can get a real meat mixer.

BTW, why couldn't I post a youtube video on here?
                  Done deal..

My bad.. I did not have the html set.. You can enbed it now if you wish...
                  Ken

Comment

<object width="425" height="344">The second one.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MnrcSjvKc_U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

sigpic

Comment

Wow. The sausage looks awesome.

I was just looking at the Weston drill attachment. I know my Waring Pro grinder isn't going to last long, but for 10.00 I'll run it until it burns out. Got the #10 hand grinder as back up. Been pricing out better ones, but maybe I'll go this route. Thanks for the review.
                      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                      CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      UniFlame Gas Grill
                      Lil Chief

Comment

Nice small run setup. I need that mixer...the ole hands ache after that chore!
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Great looking brat's. The Kitchen Aid 600 mixer is top of the line and does a great job mixing but don't waste your money on the grinder. The grinder is is small and very slow.
                          Eagle

Comment

Working...
                          X