First Sourdough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Sourdough

Not sure what to expect here. My starter is only like 3 weeks old but I am impatient and I got it going real good I thought. First pic is last night at around 11 pm the second pic is noon today 13 hours later. Rising slower than I would have thought. I halved the recipe and also halved the starter which may have been a mistake. I guess we shall see. I'll let it rise a few more hours. Baked pics to come. Wish me luck.

Oh and some spares trimmed up to have with it for dinner.
    Keith

Must be a sourdough weekend....i'm doin some as well. Good luck! I need some.....
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Keith, you never need luck when you cook! I bet it bakes up delicious, going to go very nicely with those spares!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

All the best King. Good luck...
        ---------------------------------------------------
        I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
        ---------------------------------------------------
        KCBS CBJ

Comment

Looks good so far, Keith! Although 13 hours is a long rise time, it still looks good. Looking forward to your finished loaf.
          sigpic
          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Happy sourdough...I am not ashamed to admit never doing the sour...Really wanna try it though...

Comment

Looks awesome Keith! Love the sourdough gig. I got 6 loaves baking as we type too. Good luck, you are going to enjoy it thoroughly. And then it tastes soo good, it becomes addicting. (Pillsbury Dough boy smiley, twirlin' pizza dough)
              Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
              Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Real nice looking bread you got going. I find different rise times depending on the temp and humidity in the house and even outside. I usually let my dough rise in an oven that I heated to about 200, then turned off, with just the light bulb on, and a container of water that had just boiled. That amount of heat and moisture seems just right.
                sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Keith...
                  how did it go?? I can't wait to see!!! (insert nails tapping on desk thingy)

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by mulepackin View Post
                    Real nice looking bread you got going. I find different rise times depending on the temp and humidity in the house and even outside. I usually let my dough rise in an oven that I heated to about 200, then turned off, with just the light bulb on, and a container of water that had just boiled. That amount of heat and moisture seems just right.
                    I second this notion(thumbs up dude smiling away)
                    Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                    Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

I sometimes proof mine in the oven with the light on, but only if I'm under time constraints. I never warm it first. Remember, the longer it takes to rise, the more "sour" it will be. Thing is with sourdough, you have to use the starter while it's most active. Usually about 1 to 2 hours after a feeding. After the first rise, make sure to knead slightly to redistribute the proteins, but not so much that you misalign the delicate strands of gluten. Also remember a huge rise may not happen outside the oven. Most of it may occur as oven spring. In which case, you better have been very methodical with your slashing. Trial and error. Please don't give up, there are no constants with sourdough. It's wild yeast.

Tom

Comment

Wow! This stuff is amazing. I only used 1/8th cup of starter and the recipe called for a long rise time, 13 to 15 hours. The flavor was outstanding, the crust hard and chewy, inside soft and moist. We just all sat around and ate it with butter till it was gone.

Thanks Tom. Couldn't have done it without your help. Ok, I'm in the club.

Keith

Comment

Looks good from here. Nice work.
                          KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                            Wow! This stuff is amazing. I only used 1/8th cup of starter and the recipe called for a long rise time, 13 to 15 hours. The flavor was outstanding, the crust hard and chewy, inside soft and moist. We just all sat around and ate it with butter till it was gone.

Thanks Tom. Couldn't have done it without your help. Ok, I'm in the club.

Glad it worked out for you. It looks fantastic. I have points for you for your first time.

Tom

Comment

Outstanding job

Comment

Working...
                              X