Air flow mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air flow mods

Almost a year of using my reverse flow, that I built last year. I have come to the conclusion, she isn't breathing right. Air intake is not enough, with the original air holes. Sooo.... I am in the process of intake and exhaust adjustment.

Smoker in the building stages last year.

An example of the original air intakes. 2 on the right side of the smoker and 1 on the left side.

Each of these could be screwed all the way closed. I dont think the holes were big enough to begin with. And the cut off cup,on the handles, may have restricted air flow. I am sure of it.

The fire box is 24"x24"x28" and there is a small smoker box above the fire box at 24"x24"x24" with 2 removable racks. The main smoker tank is 28"x50" The drain plate splits the tank volume to 2/3 above the drain plate and 1/3 volume underneath the plate.

This is the new air intake. My solution to the problem. They are 7 1/2" diameter. Marked out on left side of smoker. Ready to cut out.

mocked up. I have not permanently attached yet. They do have a perfect flush mount against the side of the fire box body.

Once I cut the old ones off, I sealed the holes and welded flat steel instead of the diamond plate steel. Partially closed intake. I only cut for one intake on each side.

Looking through the fire box right side to the left side. The exhaust is a 5" stack welded over a 3" opening in the tank. Next I will cut hole to a 5" opening in tank.

Videos of the build and after
    http://www.youtube.com/user/desertde.../3/5jhx7JjCelY

http://www.youtube.com/user/desertde.../2/3Rb2VKRiKzg

Thank you for checking out my mods. Happy Smokes!
    Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

sigpic

There's Erin! She is getting new lungs, she looks great Ry! I can't wait to hear how she is chugging after the mods!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Dang, Ryan. That's a beautiful smoker!!

Good luck with the tuning.

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Nice...thinkin....
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Looking good Uncle Honky...
          ---------------------------------------------------
          I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
          ---------------------------------------------------
          KCBS CBJ

Comment

Looking at the firebox's relative size a little closer, I think ya did the right thing here. I guessI had never notice the air intake design before- and yep..that box sure looks like it needs more air. You gonna weld some nubs onto the damper plate to make it easier to move them?
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Awesome looking smoker Ryan. Looks sweet.
              Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                Looking at the firebox's relative size a little closer, I think ya did the right thing here. I guessI had never notice the air intake design before- and yep..that box sure looks like it needs more air. You gonna weld some nubs onto the damper plate to make it easier to move them?
                I do intend to weld some nubs on the discs. Something to grab on to. Probably still gonna need the welding gloves to turn them, when she's cooking. I carry a pair in the front box. I am really excited to see the change. Calling for rain here again though. Might be a bit longer than expected.

Kelly and I are going to use this in a upcoming comp. 3rd annual Golden State Championship Hesperia California. An I.B.C.A. event. Dont want it to chugg like a choo choo train...lol
                Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Looks like a nice performance upgrade. The 2 Irish Fools are gonna kick some butt at the comp.
                  KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

unk, that is a very nice smoker you have made your self. and the mods I am sure will make her breath a lot better. to bad they do not make scuppers like on a ship when the wind is moving and you need it just turn the scoops into the wind.

as for welding gloves to turn the vents.
                    what I did was get a piece of round stock (was an oak dowel) Cut a piece about 6 inches long,drilled an over sized hole in the center of it (just large enough to fit over the nubs) then a small hole at the other end and strung a piece of parachute cord through and tied. it hangs on a hook some place by the vents. I just put it on the nub and it turns it well. that way I am not fooling with the on / off gloves so much. or in my case searching for them.lol.
                    and good luck on your 1st comp with the BBQGoddess. I am sure you all will do very well.
                    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Working...
                    X