Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some opinions......

Do you think this would work?
    It is to increase the cooking area of a UDS. I drew it in cad so if it work I'll post some dimensions.
    I've got a few drums to mess with, but I got frig I want to modify first. If it ever warms up around here.
    The four seasons

salt
    pepper
    mustard
    vinegar

Chargriller Pro w. sfb
    Orion Cook
    Big Easy
    Eastman Turkey Fryer
    2- refrigerator smoker in progress
    1- RF trailer build in progress
    UDS
    Brinkman Gourmet
    Great Outdoors Gas

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Be interesting to see what kind of performance you get out of it. Might be a little tricky to get it to heat evenly from side to side, but it's worth a try.

If you can keep it sealed pretty good it would be interesting to see what kind of cook times you can get. Probably won't act like a traditional UDS but once you learn its personality, I'm sure you could crank out some tasty que with it.

Besides, it would lend itself to a multitude of interesting paint jobs. .

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Wow, I like this idea. I have definitely wondered how to get more cooking area sometimes. The grate temp gradient would of course still be there but it might not be too much different than a regular UDS. Who knows.
      Glen
      Large Vertical & 3 UDS (Illini drum by Bubba before he went big-time)
      KCBS CBJ
      Blue Thermopen
      Profile:
      http://www.coltecconsulting.com

Comment

Get after it...I'm thinkin....
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Yeah buddy I am thinking 'bout the same gig. I have pondered this as well, didn't have the cool CAD program though. ( smiling thumbs up guy)
          May I propose an idea, to add to the design... think reverse flow. Weld a plate into the drum. Splitting the volume into 3rds. 1/3 under the plate and 2/3 over the plate. Position the plate where the heat and smoke transfer comes straight up the middle. Travels left and right OVER the food products and exits the exhaust on both sides. maybe position the drain to incorporate both pan sides, to one center drain. Otherwise fashion a drain on each side.
          Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
          Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Looks like a great design start. Make it happen.
            KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Looks like an awesome concept. Absolutely go with it. Cool thing about the drawing is that it shows your intake capacity is way less than your exhaust.
              If you've got a good flow control device for your intake, I'd consider going larger there. I matched my intake with output and wish I had more control over the intake. With a stubborn fire or a cold day I wish I could dump a bunch more oxy into my firebox. Just my regrets, and something I would rethink on mine.
              JT

Comment

Go for it Etcher. Great for thinking out of the box. Kudos...
                ---------------------------------------------------
                I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                ---------------------------------------------------
                KCBS CBJ

Comment

Working...
                X