My quest for the perfect pizza crust.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My quest for the perfect pizza crust.

I belong to a bread baking forum as well as this fine establishment. Pizza crust for me is hit or miss and I think the crust is the most important part of a good pizza, and I always strive to get a somewhat crunchy but yet chewy, tender crust. I have tried many recipes and yesterday came across this one, and thought maybe this is it. I am glad I picked up the triple beam scale because alot of the recipes on this forum are in grams, (amazing how accurate these are). The person that posted this recipe said this is a real sticky dough.... Hah! how about runny, but I was willing to give it a try. I started by sweating out some baby bella's because they hold alot of water and I can get more shrooms on the pie if I shrink em and infuse them with some garlic as well.

There is alot of water in these and no oil in the pan.

The dough needs to triple in bulk, so I put it in a straight sided container, measured the height, tripled and marked with a piece of tape. Just about there.

I was hoping the flour would of soaked up more of the water than when I first put in in this container. But when I poured it out I was like, how in the hell am I gonna transfer this glob to parchment paper.

I tried the best I could and when I did lay it on the parchment, this is the best I could do, I lost all confidence in this pizza.

So I placed it on a stone in a preheated 500 degree oven naked for 5 minutes. Took it out and layed on some homemade sauce, the shrooms, onions and some crumbled italian sausage, then back into the oven for an additional 5 mins.

Took it out and applied the cheese and back in till the cheese was melted.

Ok, It's not perfect and not even great but I am getting real close to making a perfect pie in a regular household oven. The crust had nice bubbles and a nice crunch but still was tough. There wasn't any fat in this dough recipe which could help plus it is close to being impossible to work with so maybe more flour next time. I keep notes and if and when I come up with the perfect pie I'll share with you all.

Looks tasty to me lee...I make my own as well and would be interested in the dough once it meets your approval...

Comment

Looks pretty darn great too me.
      Keith

Comment

Well Lee, I've never found the perfect pizza dough either. I just gave up experimenting and make whatever I feel like at the moment. I'd be interested in the recipe if you get one figured out.
        sigpic
        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Lee it looks good to me. I haven't figured out my perfect crust either.
          I'm not a fan of pizza, although I eat it. I prefer a light, thin, almost cracker crisp crust.

Tom

Comment

I like the same kind of crust as you, and it is hard to find the perfect crust. The pizza you have there looks mighty good!!! I love pizza!!!

Comment

Me ain't a pizza fan....But I could eat that gig!....Stay in the quest...Ya did right nice!
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Lee that looks pretty perfect to me! YUMMY pie my friend!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Holy puffy pizza pie crust! I like pizza and I would eat that. It looks great from here! I have yet to try this gig. That'll be next.
                  Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                  Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

i just use a 2 c. bread dough recipe, bump up the yeast and sugar and let it rise 3 x's in about 4-5 hrs. then form it and toss it on a PREHEATED stone @ 525 deg for 3-4 min until set. drop my oven to 475 and pull the crust out and make my pie. when i'm done making it i toss it in the oven till done. the key is a hot stone.....some of the best pizza i have made was in a parking lot with while i was doing a demo on a wood fired oven. i was pulling 800-1000 deg depending on where my fire was......3-4 min pizza max!
                    sigpic
                    it's all good my friend..........

Comment

I don't know Lee. Looks great on my end, that last shot is the money...
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      KCBS CBJ

Comment

Thanks all, It was good but just a bit tough. I like the thinner style myself but my oppisite half ( wife) like's more of the deep dish. I say potatoe, she say's potato, I'm like no you cant' she say's; yes I can. Really I don't mind the experiments and this winter have been doing quite a few. The birds love it.

Comment

Looks great!

We do a lot of pizzas at home too. We use our breadmaker to make the dough and it has been perfect for handling. still tweaking the recipe though. I like a little garlic salt, parmisan cheese, hot pepper blend, and italian spices blended into the dough for flavor too.
                          sigpic

Comment

I have found no better source on pizza making then here:
                            http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php

Post your dough recipe and method. Tell them what you are looking for and I bet they will be able to help.
                            "I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."
                            PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, Battle of the Buldge

Comment

Thanks Jeff, Your pizza's always turned out real nice.

Originally posted by Vlap View Post
                              I have found no better source on pizza making then here:
                              http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php

Post your dough recipe and method. Tell them what you are looking for and I bet they will be able to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X