Coq Au Vin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coq Au Vin

On a cool rainy day in Florida, this dish was excellent. The scent of chicken cooking in rendered pork fat was fantastic followed by the scent of chicken simmering in red wine. I was hungry the entire time I spent cooking this dish. Julia Child gave us a great gift when she wrote Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

Coq Au Vin by Julia Child

SERVES 4 -6

1/2 cup lardons, cut into 1/4 by 1 1/2 inch strips (good Bacon or salt pork)
    2 tablespoons olive oil (or more)
    2 1/2 lbs ready-cut frying chickens, thoroughly dried
    1/4 cup cognac or armagnac
    salt and pepper
    1 imported bay leaf
    1/4 teaspoon thyme
    16-20 small white onions, peeled
    3 tablespoons flour
    3 cups red wine (Burgundy, Cotes du Rhone, or Pinot Noir)
    2 cups beef stock (Enough to cover chicken)
    1-2 clove garlic, mashed or minced
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    3/4 lb fresh mushrooms, trimmed,washed,and quartered

1. Saute lardons several minutes in 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy bottomed casserole until lightly browned; remove lardons to a side dish and leave fat in pan.

2.Heat fat or oil in pan to moderately hot, add chicken, not crowding pan; turn frequently to brown nicely on all sides (my skinless thighs didn't exactly "brown" as chicken with skin would have). Cook 10 minutes.

3. Pour in the Cognac, shake pan a few seconds until bubbling hot, then ignite Cognac with a match. Let flame a minute, swirling pan by its handle to burn off alcohol; extinguish with pan cover.

4. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper; add bay leaf and thyme.

5. Remove from heat, gradually stir and swirl in the wine and enough stock or bouillon to almost cover the chicken. Add the browned lardons, garlic, and tomato paste.

6. Cover and cook slowly 30 minutes, turning once. While cooking make a beurre manie by mashing the butter and flour together.

7. Uncover the pan; remove chicken and bring sauce to a boil and reduce by half or a bit more. Once reduced add the buerre manie and whisk into the sauce.

8. Add the onions and mushrooms to the sauce along with the chicken and coat in the sauce.

15. Taste carefully, and correct seasoning. Sauce should be just thick enough to coat chicken and vegetables lightly.

Serve over buttered parslied noodles along with the same style wine you used to make the Coq Au Vin.
    "I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."
    PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, Battle of the Buldge

Whew that looks good! I saw that movie Julia Julia or something like that and wondered about that cook book. Yours looks great!

Comment

Looks wonderful. One of my favorite dishes in the winter along with Chicken Cacciatore.
      sigpic

GOSM/propane
      UDS (Cam)/lump
      22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
      Weber Genesis/propane
      Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Originally posted by smokeguy View Post
        Whew that looks good! I saw that movie Julia Julia or something like that and wondered about that cook book. Yours looks great!
        The cookbook is a classic that should be on every shelf.

Comment

good job Vlap..
          sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
          nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Nicely done.
            FBJ

WSM
            Med. Spicewine
            Stumps GF223
            KCBS/NEBS Member
            KCBS CBJ

Comment

Damn fine eats. Great step by step.
              KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

That is awesome.....Julia did introduce alot of homecooks many years ago to french cooking etc...She is Very underappreciated im my opinion

Comment

i love her series with jacques pepin...........
                  sigpic
                  it's all good my friend..........

Comment

That looks outstanding, VLAP! We just watched the movie last night (Julie and Julia). Great cooking.:points:
                    sigpic
                    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Wow that looks and sounds fantastic. I think I have finally convinced my kids to have the ethnic dinner once a month. So far we have Chinese, Mexican and now french is on the list. Thanks for the great recipe.

Comment

Crap... I left FL too soon! It WAS rainy and chilly even this AM when I left. Looks great V!
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Man. I know that was good! That's very similar to what I do with venison backstraps. Even the noodles. Wow. May have to give that a try.
                          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                          New Braunfels Bandera
                          UniFlame Gas Grill
                          Lil Chief

Comment

Just happy to contribute something worth while to this great site.

Some day I will smoke again......

Comment

Damn that looks good.... Outstanding!!!
                              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Working...
                              X