First batch of smoked cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First batch of smoked cheese

FIRST - HEY ALL! Great to have the forum back up!

I was tired of looking at cheese posts lately, so decided to give it a shot with some sharp cheddar, pepper jack and mozzarella.

I really liked the ideas I've seen of folks using different rubs, so I split the cheddar and pepper jack blocks and rubbed one of each with Cholula.

Using my shotgun smoker to get a true cold smoke on these. I'm using six 6 briquets and then loaded it with a mix of oak, hickory and apple. Side note on smoke generators - I've found that if you use larger chunks/chips, it allows good air flow and you can generate smoke a lot longer. Finer media tends to just choke mine down and kill the briquets.

Cheese loaded - using the advice of others by placing on a clean rack.

In researching, I found a lot of varied smoke times, so I went with 2 hours on the cheddar, 3 hours on the Mozz.
    Here it is finished and ready for a two week nap in the fridge.

Smoke generator works darn good! Here's the smoke still coming out of it after 3+ hours.

Thanks for checking out my first cheese smoking project.
    Tracey

Otta be just right with the snow out there Nothin better than sittin with my granddaughter arguin about the next slice on the cracker!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Send me a couple blocks. Looks awesome.
      Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Wow! Very impressive! I see we shop at the same store
        sigpic
        New Braunfels Bandera
        New Braunfels Hondo
        4-22.5" Weber Kettles
        1-26" Weber Kettle
        24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
        Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Good job. Love the smoke generator.
          sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Looks great. Wait until you taste them after the wait, well worth the effort and time.
            Dawn

New Braunfels Bandera "Grail"
            Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
            1 Maverick ET-73
            1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

Originally posted by mulepackin View Post
              Good job. Love the smoke generator.
              Thanks, MP! Kinda ugly... but it works!

Originally posted by irishteabear View Post
              Looks great. Wait until you taste them after the wait, well worth the effort and time.
              I hope so! Thanks, Dawn.

Mikey/Cajun/Slated - thanks, guys.

Comment

Looks good, Tracey! I haven't tried smoking cheese yet. Guess I need a smoke generator as I know I can't keep the Vault temp low enough.
                sigpic
                Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Great Job. That plate is cool too.
                  I'd be interested in a tour of that smoke generator, Homebuilt? I don't think it's ugly, looks kinda cool to me. Bullet proof for sure.
                  Great work on that cheese, Cholula head here.

JT
                  JT

Comment

great job. i better get off my duff & do the 3# block of swiss i have before it gets eaten.
                    brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                    18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                    cast iron Hibachi
                    22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                    & rotisserator
                    12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                    stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                    Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                    http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                    my music recordings-
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Great work, I am down to my last 4 oz. block I did for the holidays, better restock.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                        Great work, I am down to my last 4 oz. block I did for the holidays, better restock.
                        Originally posted by blues_n_cues View Post
                        great job. i better get off my duff & do the 3# block of swiss i have before it gets eaten.
                        Smokin/Blue - Thanks! Yeah... I think this will be like bacon... start making another before you ever try the other!

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                        Looks good, Tracey! I haven't tried smoking cheese yet. Guess I need a smoke generator as I know I can't keep the Vault temp low enough.
                        Hey Bassman! Just found we were up and running last night. Good to hear from you. The generators work really good, and mine is about as simple as they come - not a lot of moving parts, no electricity.

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                        Great Job. That plate is cool too.
                        I'd be interested in a tour of that smoke generator, Homebuilt? I don't think it's ugly, looks kinda cool to me. Bullet proof for sure.
                        Great work on that cheese, Cholula head here.

JT
                        Whiskey, thanks! Yeah, just about everything I have is make out of some other worn out something!

Re: the smoke generator. I just built this out of a piece 4" tubing. Bottom is solid, with air slits in the sides. The 2" horizontal piece is because I built it to plug into my Cajun Mirowave.

Here are some different pictures of it - let me know if you have more questions.

Shows the grate that sits in the bottom. I get 4 to 6 charcoal briquets lit, then just load it with bigger chucks of wood or chips.

Shows air slits.

This is what I built it for - just used it on the cheese because I can't get my smoker to go that low!

Hope this helps, thanks for checking out my post.

Tracey

Comment

Great looking cheese. I am looking forward to your taste test with the Cholula ones. That oughta be great!
                          KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Great design on that generator, I may just steal that if you don't mind.
                            Thanks for the close ups and description. Got it.

JT
                            JT

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                              Great design on that generator, I may just steal that if you don't mind.
                              Thanks for the close ups and description. Got it.

JT
                              JT - no need to make a criminal outta yourself! That's what this forum is about, right? If you like the idea, then I'm glad I could help! Build away, my friend.
                              Tracey

Comment

Working...
                              X