Homemade Creamy Ricotta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Creamy Ricotta

This is a very basic recipe for ricotta. A slight variant for another I read about here. It is excellent and until I have a digital camera that works it is just the recipe. You could mold it but I find that i comes out fine for our needs using the cheesecloth.

Ingredients:

* 2 Quarts Whole Milk
    * 1 Cup Heavy Cream
    * 3 Tablespoons White Vinegar
    * 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher or Sea Salt

In a medium pot, warm the milk and cream over medium high heat until the surface becomes foamy and steamy. Check the temperature until it measures 185 degrees; do not allow to boil. Remove from heat. Add the vinegar and stir gently for 30 seconds; the mixture should curdle almost immediately.
    Add the salt and stir for another 30 seconds. Cover the pot with a clean towel and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours.

Line a large colander with several layers of cheesecloth allowing several inches to overhang. Set the colander in a large bowl and using a slotted spoon, transfer the curds to the colander. Carefully gather the corners of the cheesecloth and close with a rubber band. Let the ricotta stand for 30 minutes and gently press or squeeze occasionally to drain off the whey.

Transfer to a bowl and use at once or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.

Makes about 3.5 cups or 1.75 pounds

where are the pics ????
    Jerod
    GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GOT14U View Post
      where are the pics ????
      My statement in the post....

It is excellent and until I have a digital camera that works it is just the recipe.
      Gonna be a bit before those are added.... Have not decided which camera I want yet but until then it is what it is. Granted I wish I could have more right now but don't. It will come. Now I need someone to send me a stick burner....

Seems like thats how and where I want to go so far. Have fish, have venison, and a whole lot of meat I see here that I drool over so hoping to get things in order soon...
      Last edited by THE__DRIFTER; 02-05-2010, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Sounds good with the cream, bet for lasagna I have made some with the left over whey from making mozz. but you dont get much. I'll have to try this one sometime. Thanks. I was just reading a flyer from consumer reports on cameras, Says the Canon Powershot A1000 performed equally well as a camera for $450 and it costs a mere $150.00. Still thats twice as much as my little kodak easy share cost and it does allright.
        Last edited by SmokinLee; 02-05-2010, 09:10 AM.

Comment

these r a little spendy but by far the best I have owned and great quality pics with so many accessories.
          nikond40xfourviewlarge.jpg
          Jerod
          GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
          sigpic

Comment

Interesting... wish I liked the stuff. Any other styles made in a similar fashion? Sounds like I could pull it off :{)
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by GOT14U View Post
              these r a little spendy but by far the best I have owned and great quality pics with so many accessories.
              [ATTACH]2885[/ATTACH]
              Actually not all that bad in the grand scheme of things. I am a hard-core film person; I like digital but still like a piece of film in hand. I was actually looking at this one.

http://www.shopping.yahoo.com/p:Cano...DXuY5v1RznSHAD

Mama got her new dishwasher and bed so I get a bit of play money now too. I have developed black and white for years and a bit of color as well but time marches on. May have to settle on a bit more sensible purchase though for now. Springs coming and the Honey Do list is growing. Still I will be able to have a few new toys so there will be follow-ups soon....

Comment

rich go buy the home cheese making book by ricki somebody or other (i'm in bed - books downstairs)
                edit: ricki carroll

got lots of really simple cheese recipes as well as everything else cheese worthy you can imagine.
                got my eye on one that just uses cider vinegar and whole milk to produce a cheese that doesn't melt - fatty filling anyone :-)
                soon as i find lots of cheesecloth it's on

drifter, no pics, it's all in your mind
                best camera advice - get a sony. and avoid digital slrs. best thing about a good digital - it'll fit easily in your pocket.
                slrs need their own luggage.
                i've got all the conventional slr kit - when digital pocket cameras came out my slr got mothballed. i've never looked back !

edit: cookshop had ni muslin - but pointed me towards the curtain shop.
                Got a whle big bunch of ultrafine nylon mesh netcurtain for next to no money.
                Should do very nicely indeed :-) (it is one of the alternatives mentioned in the book too)
                Last edited by curious aardvark; 02-06-2010, 10:59 AM.
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                X