Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Flour

My Man travels a lot.
    When he goes to the UK or the EU I often ask him to bring back food stuff. This last trip I asked him to bring back flour (and haggis, but that's a different post).
    UK and EU grow different varieties of wheat than here. I don't know if it is better, just different and fun to try.
    He brought me back a malted flour blend. I went to the website to see what the blend was and I saw that they also make oak smoked flour! http://www.bacheldremill.co.uk
    I asked Peter why he didn't get the smoked flour, he said he didn't know if I would like it...has he met me?

Anyway. I did the only logical thing.
    I smoked some flour.

I cold smoked it for 3 1/2 hours with pecan....I guess I should have stirred it a couple of times.

Then, I did the next logical thing.
    I made some bread.

I didn't know if smoking would change any qualities of the flour, like gluten development

I guess not.

OK, at this point the smell of the dough is incredible. The smoke is suttle, but sweet and full. Then, when it was baking... it smelled really nice.

Boy-oh-boy is this good. I'm not one to congratulate myself, but this is one of the best flavors to come out of my kitchen. The smoke taste stays in the back of your mouth and is very clean and unexpected but welcome. And the smoke taste is 'even', and that is nice.
    I can't wait to play some more with this. It almost tastes like it came out of a wood oven.
    I am making a gumbo this weekend and I'm going to make the roux with some smoked flour. Other possibilities in my mind right now are; pancakes, breading. pizza!...this is going to be fun.
    Next time you cold smoke, throw some flour in there and see what you think.

Thanks for looking at my smoke.
    Mo
    Last edited by moselle; 02-10-2010, 08:11 AM.
    "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Real nice! I'm definitely gonna try this.....doe's sound tasty!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I like that idea!! I will have to put some flour in next time I cold smoke. I remember a post from cowgirl with homemade sopapillas w/ smoked honey. Now I just have to smoke the flour that is used for the sopapillas.
      KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Right on girl, no fear. Luv it. I gotta get on the whole baking thing.
        for the experiment.

JT
        JT

Comment

Fantastic! Dang sure never even crossed me mind. What a great experiment Mo! You are right, this is a must try!!
          Thank you for sharing this with us.
          Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
          Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Well I gotta give ya points straight up for being the first to put this one out there for us. I like the idea of it and I'm sorta surprised someone hasnt done it sooner. Good job.
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by moselle View Post
              My Man travels a lot.
              When he goes to the UK or the EU I often ask him to bring back food stuff. This last trip I asked him to bring back flour (and haggis, but that's a different post).
              UK and EU grow different varieties of wheat than here. I don't know if it is better, just different and fun to try.
              He brought me back a malted flour blend. I went to the website to see what the blend was and I saw that they also make oak smoked flour! http://www.bacheldremill.co.uk
              I asked Peter why he didn't get the smoked flour, he said he didn't know if I would like it...has he met me?

Anyway. I did the only logical thing.
              I smoked some flour.

I cold smoked it for 3 1/2 hours with pecan....I guess I should have stirred it a couple of times.

Then, I did the next logical thing.
              I made some bread.

I didn't know if smoking would change any qualities of the flour, like gluten development

I guess not.

OK, at this point the smell of the dough is incredible. The smoke is suttle, but sweet and full. Then, when it was baking... it smelled really nice.

Boy-oh-boy is this good. I'm not one to congratulate myself, but this is one of the best flavors to come out of my kitchen. The smoke taste stays in the back of your mouth and is very clean and unexpected but welcome. And the smoke taste is 'even', and that is nice.
              I can't wait to play some more with this. It almost tastes like it came out of a wood oven.
              I am making a gumbo this weekend and I'm going to make the roux with some smoked flour. Other possibilities in my mind right now are; pancakes, breading. pizza!...this is going to be fun.
              Next time you cold smoke, throw some flour in there and see what you think.

Thanks for looking at my smoke.
              Mo
              what a wonderfull new and refreshing idea. I bet it did taste good. and you said it tasted like it came out of a wood oven.
              Man that stuff is good. I bet it would make a wonderfull pizza.
              all the little bakery's in the tropic used wood ovens and one pizza joint. that stuff was just good eats for sure. even soups made over a wood fire has that nice hint (and some time over welming) of smoke. we must change you green tiles to a star is here.lol
              and you just know you are getting points for this wonderfull thing you have done.
              sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
              nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Awesome idea! That is definitely on the 2do list!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Way to go, Mo! Love the idea!
                  Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                  Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                  1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                  Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                  Weber Smokey Joe
                  Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                  Pink Thermapen
                  Purple Thermapen

Comment

Definitly a new and novel idea! Next you'll have to give it a whirl with sourdough, the sour and the smoke, hmmmm.
                    sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Very nice. That may just be the ticket for an even smoke flavored bread. worthy for sure, but I'm out. Sorry.

Tom

Comment

That is sourdough gunslinger:)
                        I have the second loaf in the oven right now. I did one yesterday and 'retarded' one in the fridge over night to see how the more developed sourdough flavor is with the smoke.
                        I'll let you know if it is significant.
                        (PS, I didn't think of it, they are selling it. I just copied the idea)
                        "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

Holy MOlly....Great job on this.....This sure gets the gears turning... when i get mine reloaded.....

Comment

Thinking outta the box..... .....
                            Love to see something new, thanks for posting.
                            sigpic

Comment

cool idea!!!!!
                              sigpic
                              it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Working...
                              X