Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls

My sweet tooth got to bothering me, so I made these.

2 to 3 cups of sifted flour
    1 T sugar
    3 T shortening
    1/2 t salt
    2 cups starter

Mix together and let rest for about 1 hour.

Roll out about 1/4 inch thick and spread with a stick of softened butter. Sprinkle generously with sugar and cinnamon. Add raisins if desired. Roll up and cut crosswise making cuts about 1 inch thick. Place on well greased baking sheet. Let raise until double about an hour. Bake about 20 minutes @400*. Mix 1 cup powdered sugar with enough milk to make a smooth paste and add a little vanilla. Spread on top of rolls.
    Attached Files
    www.darylecoates.com
    Blessed is the person who has a chuck wagon cook for a friend for he shall enjoy food fit for kings.

Outstanding.. I ask a few weeks back about a recipe for these... Fantastic.. Now I need some sour dough starter..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

DUDE.............LOVE the sour dough..........recieved bout a week ago, some Carl Griffith's 1847 Oregon Trail Sourdough i need to get started.......

been to San Fran bunch's of times, and MAN you can't beat their sourdough out there..........this starter is supposed to be a descendant of the original 1847 starter........we will see........

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
        Outstanding.. I ask a few weeks back about a recipe for these... Fantastic.. Now I need some sour dough starter..

i can send you some of this Ken

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

I just used one that I started about 2 years ago.
          www.darylecoates.com
          Blessed is the person who has a chuck wagon cook for a friend for he shall enjoy food fit for kings.

Comment

Happiness is a platter of cinnamon rolls and a pot full of nice spicy chilly on a rainy cold March day. Better keep this recipe handy.
            sigpic

Comment

Them look great daryl! Printed it off, gonna give em a try! Not good fer my diabitis, but I can have one!
              sigpic

Comment

Hey Travco, you should not have much problem giving the rest of them away. These can also be made in the old Dutch Oven. They are even better that way.
                www.darylecoates.com

Comment

Looks great Goat, I had made a starter again about a month ago, and was using it weekly. But then let it go about 12 days without a refreshment and well .................you know.

Comment

Wow Goat, those look great!! Is it too late to call dibs on leftovers?
                    jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Can you make the starter?? Those look awsome, that is what I need to put in my fat belly...... Goat this is another for my (hey this could be the misses) to do list. Thanks...
                      Lang and luvin it
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cowgirl View Post
                        Wow Goat, those look great!! Is it too late to call dibs on leftovers?
                        I will just make another batch cowgirl. Gobbledot there are many recipes on how to make a sourdough starter. Use google and just pick one.
                        www.darylecoates.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gobbledot View Post
                          Can you make the starter?? Thanks...
                          All starters must have a name. Here is mine and the history behind it. Enjoy!

Independence Sourdough Starter

Meet Independence, my sourdough starter. It was created from a recipe I modified, which originated from Richard Bolt, author of “Forty Years Behind the Lid”. Richard Bolt spent over 40 years as a chuckwagon cook, cooking for most all the large ranches in Texas, spending his final days at the famed Pitchfork.
                          I never had the opportunity to eat at his wagon although countless cowboys did and will never forget the experience. Independence is the same. You will never forget the experience.
                          Independence was created using only the finest ingredients. The flour used exclusively is King Arthur Flour to which no bleach or preservatives have ever been added. The flour has been milled from 100% U.S. grown wheat since 1790.
                          The water comes from 2 sources accessible only from the historic Chandler Ranch. They consist of a natural spring that feeds the twin lakes, and the pristine waters of Independence Creek, from which the starter gets its name, which flows into the historic Pecos River. The organisms in the flour attracted wild yeast spores ever-present in this unpolluted environment surrounding Chandler Ranch.
                          The unique area that produced these wild yeast spores contained in this self perpetuating yeast mixture called Independence, were gathered on the Chandler Ranch, where the Texas Hill Country meets the Texas Big Bend Desert.
                          Honey from the Hadley Ranch which is located in the Honey Capital of the World, Uvalde, Texas is used along with raw Irish potatoes to nourish Independence. Honey from this region, produced since the 1870’s, has a remarkably delicious flavor attributed to bees feeding on the blooming huajillo. The above unique ingredients combine to give Independence its unique flavors.
                          www.darylecoates.com

Comment

Here is a starter you can get for the cost of a postage stamp. I use it. It's very good and very active. Supposed to be historic too.
                            http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/

I have 3 sponges going at all times. Carl Griffith's, and 2 of my own. One made with organic stone ground whole wheat flour and one with organic unbleached flour. And I never have to add additional yeast. If you keep them up right, they'll do their job.

Tom

Comment

Well it sure as hell is alot more complex than the simple starter I had made. LOL. But given time it develops a great flavor, I think I am just going to stick with the sponge method from now on. The starter I had for well over a year has since passed also, and this last one only a month. Your's sound like good one.

This is all I did the last time. The first one I had I used yeast from wild grapes.

2 cups tap water
                              2 cups all purpose flour
                              1/2 tsp. yeast
                              mixed well in a mason jar and allowed to sit for a couple days before using.

Comment

Working...
                              X