Technical ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical ?

Ok many of you saw my 1944 Army field oven I am going to convert. By my meaurements she now Called Gunny Smoker, will be about the size of a Backwoods Competitor model smoker but with less grates installed. I am trying to figure the Square Inches of area needed for the exhaust. The top of Gunny is hinged in two places and at the center hinge a gap equal to 3/4 inch by 20 inches long runs across the lid. That is I think a surface area of about 15 sq inches. Since this lid fits so well around the edges I thought about not replacing it but using that gap with a simple deflector hood used to deflect the smoke from the front. Will this work and is the 15 sq. inch area to much or not enoeph as an exhaust.??
    sigpic

My Facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...Q/131613189083

shooter............ya lost me at teknickle. and just how many regular nickles do it take to make one teknickle, never seen one!
    sigpic
    it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
      shooter............ya lost me at teknickle. and just how many regular nickles do it take to make one teknickle, never seen one!
      well les syfer. one ouht into one ouht before aught?
      sigpic

My Facebook page

Comment

sorry, i'll always be like elly mae was to jethro!

sigpic
        it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Guess the first response dropped off the face of the earth.

The flue is a function of the firebox draft, the temp you want to hold and the altitude you live at.

Give me two and I will run the formula.
          Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Originally posted by ShooterRick View Post
            well les syfer. one ouht into one ouht before aught?
            Uh huh... Thats kinda what I was thinkin...
            But I dunno...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bbally View Post
              Guess the first response dropped off the face of the earth.

The flue is a function of the firebox draft, the temp you want to hold and the altitude you live at.

Give me two and I will run the formula.
              I live as close to sea level as you can and still not get your feet wet!
              sigpic

My Facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by ShooterRick View Post
                I live as close to sea level as you can and still not get your feet wet!
                OK keep going... you want to hold what temperatures or achieve what temperature range?

Your firebox is going to have what space and what draft opening maximum?
                Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

OK keep going... you want to hold what temperatures or achieve what temperature range?

Your firebox is going to have what space and what draft opening maximum?
                  Fire box damper= 8- 1 inch holes 4 each side with slide closures.
                  Fire box= 18x20 8 inch deep pan with grate 2 inches above bottom for ash.
                  Max temp wanted 400 F will settle for 350 F
                  Min temp wanted cold smoke range= 120 F but will settle for 140 F
                  Last edited by ShooterRick; 02-16-2010, 06:47 PM.
                  sigpic

My Facebook page

Comment

Rick, here is a formula calculator for ya. Its in XML format for WIN EXCEL. Handy little calculator, hold onto it for future rep. Somebody posted it here a long time ago.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Comment

You need ten square inches of stack opening. You will need a guillotine style damper to keep control with cold smoking. I would suggest two 10 inch guillotine one from each side meeting in the center covering that 20 inch X 3/4 inch gap.

The fire box is some what problematic. It is going to limit you to 375 F except during initial start. You might be able to get a little more out of it if you can get red oak or rock maple for your starter fire.
                      Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

You need ten square inches of stack opening. You will need a guillotine style damper to keep control with cold smoking. I would suggest two 10 inch guillotine one from each side meeting in the center covering that 20 inch X 3/4 inch gap.

The fire box is some what problematic. It is going to limit you to 375 F except during initial start. You might be able to get a little more out of it if you can get red oak or rock maple for your starter fire.
                        thanks a ton. The fire box is better called a coal pan I think. The oak not a problem for me to get. 375 still decent. I just wanted to try and get as much range as I could. Don't know what i would be smokin above 375 anyway. LOL Thanks again. I will have to do some research on the Guillotine style dampers for a design but that is the plan for now.
                        sigpic

My Facebook page

Comment

Create the guillotine by riveting two strips of steel with a thickness difference to each side of the open slot. Then slide the damper in from each side. Works like that thing on a hole punch that lines up the paper size.
                          Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Create the guillotine by riveting two strips of steel with a thickness difference to each side of the open slot. Then slide the damper in from each side. Works like that thing on a hole punch that lines up the paper size.
                            If I understand you you are saying mount the guillotines flat and not vertical in a hood.

Think I got it.
                            sigpic

My Facebook page

Comment

Having a heck of a time finding a pic of this style damper to look at for design. Anyone got one?
                              sigpic

My Facebook page

Comment

Working...
                              X